• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

top 5 common problems of the rampage buggy??

badboy2

what are the top 5 problems of the rampage buggy?pls be honest.just got bitten by the freagin bug again!

kryptonite

-throttle servo

-suspension arm holders

-stearing servo

-melting gears

thats all i have.. if you do the sugjested pre run maintonace, it will be fine. my tt truggy has countless gallons on it. besides motor pipe and servo's and upgrade kit, it is completly bone stock. has stock plastic redcat gears, stock shock shaft, stock bearings.. its just a stock rig. ive had no problems, besides things that were my doing. like jumping it off a 20' cliff(2 times, yes there is vid) and the occasional curb. i've broken a few odd suspension parts, but nothing consistantly or with out foult. and i am far from light on my rigs. the MT is a diffrent story. it went thru a good bought of consistantly braking stuff. stupic plastic parts, shock shafts, diffs, drive shafts.. i couldnt ask for better with the tt

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=1728

Last edited by a moderator:

badboy2

so the stock servos gotta go i guess?im not planning on upgrading the engine just yet.its prolly my last big purchase for the year if i buy one.

so the tranny gears needs to be replaced asap too?u think theyll last at least gallon?well the spur i don't care but the main gears are my concern.that includes the diffs also.i can prolly spend $600 max.coz thats what i showed my wife at ddm.but if theres used ones with that price and some hop ups i may consider buyin a used one.

im comparing this to my bajas.so far my problems were only the spur gears,broke a shock on the 5t.my 5b didnt give me problems yet aside from bending my jetpro.

kryptonite

. as long as you vent the gear cover the drive gears will last(mine did). the diffs are ok in the tt with the smaller tires and less rotating weight. there is a whole list of things that need to be done before running.but iuts all basic stuff(no $). i used my stearing servo(stock) for about 2 gallons. i just set the servo saver a little lose. the throttle servo is really junk. you have to do things like boiling the plastic so it doesn't crack as easy, centering the drive shafts so you don't brake a drive cup. installing all of the upgrade kit. wich is basicly a complete disassemble. i cant say nothing will brake. all depends on what you hit. its also not comparable to the 5b. the 5b is built better. it stronger out of the box. that shows in the price. i sold BOTH my 5b and my 5bss to get a hole gang of redcats..

RampageHopUps

You use fuel tubing or foam ear plugs to center the drive shafts. Its good advise for all largescales.

LongShank

this is great thread as i was wondering the same thing. i just bought the new TT version2. havent run it yet but i have been reading on the baja forum and few guys saying the rampage is nothign but problems. i know the baja is built better but is the version2 gonna hold up better? i knew the last one had a lot of problems but anyone out there running the new one and having any issues? btw, servos wont be an issue cuz i got the roller and i am putting in my own electronics which will be top of the line.

Simsy

You can also use elcon conical springs to center the dogbones. I have run these since new and never had any issues with bones jumping or cracked drive cups.

Obeast44

Banned
LongShank said:
this is great thread as i was wondering the same thing. i just bought the new TT version2. havent run it yet but i have been reading on the baja forum and few guys saying the rampage is nothign but problems. i know the baja is built better but is the version2 gonna hold up better? i knew the last one had a lot of problems but anyone out there running the new one and having any issues? btw, servos wont be an issue cuz i got the roller and i am putting in my own electronics which will be top of the line.
I have a V1 TT with the Upgrade kit, nothing installed from it yet( :) ). I have over 2 and a half a gallons on it and have yet to break anything, not even the T/B servo( yes I have a killswitch).

As far as the Baja being built better, I would have to respectfully disagree. With the same driving style, same conditions, same size motor(upped to the 29cc headkit), same tires, my Baja broke/bent something everytime I took it out. My next time out will be my 5th time at our bash spot with the TT, and still running flawlessly. All I did was follow all the pre-run guides to the letter and voila` a nice running machine!

camtunkpa

The only problems I've had with my V1 TT are throttle servo, rear shock shafts, and dogbones popping out (this one is my fault no centering springs haven't popped one since centering). I'm running the stock 23cc with and X-can. I race 1/8th scale nitros and consequently run my rampage in a similar fashion. I bash with my rampage and run/race it on our 1/8th scale track when the HPI baja guys show up for their monthly beating. Overall I'm pleased with my rampage. I have about a gallon and a half through it. I have gone through 4 rear shock shafts though and not even from hard landings. I think this has something to do with the angle of the shocks. Anyway now have an ugly thrown together expanded shock tower and am running baja ss rear shocks. i have front baja shocks too, but haven't made up a mount for them. When I get around to making my work look presentable I will post some pictures. The Baja shocks work real well and are very plush. My rampage is my favorite RC to run. In fact Im sort of looking around for another TT for my father as a birthday present. I think he's run more fuel through my rampage than I have ;)

On a side note and not to bash any RC, my buddy just bought an FG Baja 4wd RTR about two weeks ago after running my rampage. He knows what I've done to and with my Rampage, but couldn't be talked into the rampage because he figured more $$$$ means shouldn't break. He has only run it for three days after snapping the splines off the steering servo, replacing and then snapping all over again. Now he's waiting for the new metal gear version. He was babying this buggy at the same places I race & bash with my rampage. Doesn't matter how much you pay, you're gonna break something. The rampage TT is a great deal!

DemonRC

I agree with Moo. The Rampage with a few upgrades is as just as good as a 5b. I got 2x 5b's that are semi-shelved. One 5b is now my 6 year old son's bash toy and the other is shelved collecting dust. It's just a backup.

LongShank

i have the new version 2 TT. do i still need to temper the diffs? how is this done?

DemonRC

Moo is the one that suggested to heat the shaft to purple. I would suggest to not heat the cup. Just the shaft. This will soften the shaft up since it's too hard (brittle). You can also buy the pre-tempered from Ramtech at RampageHopups.

LongShank

mooman007uk said:
go just beyond the purple til it goes silver grey (900F) and as cat says just the shaft, start from the hole end and chase the colour up toward the cup and stop at the cup, ...use a plumbers torch for heat and let them cool in air...no one has broken a tempered one yet
so you guys are doing this on the center drive shaft? is that correct? what about the dogbones? i have the universal upgrades. how do they hold up? and should i temper those also?

or are you talking about the front and rear differential outdrives? havent these been replaced with better material in version 2?

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonite

i think tempering is optional. i never play with fire and i havent had any issues at all. but moo is refering to tempering the shank on the drive cups for the front/rear diffs only. not the actuall cup or center cups. as far as the cvd shafts? all i can say is good luck. the stock drive shafts will hold up better and the mcd shafts are evn better then stock, but the cvd's have a problem with the pins that hold the cup together. i broke 3 out of 4 of them and hovent had any issue with the stocker shafts.

DemonRC

The only problem I've had was the diff shafts and the gears melting. I fixed both of these problems and havn't really had anything break other than maybe a suspension arm from cartwheeling. Once you temper those diff shafts that problem will go away. As far as the gears go I just vented my gear cover and got steel gears.

laganm21

I got my ramp MT in April and its the V1 One problem i did have that was so annoying, was my wheels keep falling off (even with blue lock tite) . but the guys on here fix me right up, I had to notch the wheel pins so the grub srew had something to grab to so they would not keep backing out so if you get one this could be a good, simple, free, fix for ya

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts