• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

tools

rc-driver

Does the list include everything I need ? what else shall I have for assembling and disassembling engine ? :)

-1.jpg

Sucram

You don't need #4 as you can use a piece of cardboard to set your gap.

There is also a better type of piston snap ring which is not a c clip and allows the use of normal pliers. Seems to be a much nicer clip and less of a pain for installing. I will have a look and see if I can find you a link but from memory they are used more in heli engines.

DemonRC

Needle nose pliers and of course your 3-5mm wrenches are all you really need. I would say the piston stopper is necessary but some people get by with using string. I did that for a long time and trust me, the piston stopper is a lifesaver. If your doing the bottom end then the flywheel puller is very helpful but not absolutely necessary. #3, #4, and #6 are just helpful tools but will not save you a bunch of time.

kryptonite

Sucram said:
You don't need #4 as you can use a piece of cardboard to set your gap.
cardboard may be too much.. i use a bussiness card.

i don't have any of those tools.. for a piston stopper i use rope. i don't like the idea of putting all that pressure on the piston with that little pin. #3 also looks kind of useless. the piston pin comes out with no force. i use a pen, small screw driver or anything else thats close by. the pin really just falls out. #1 could be handy, but i used 2 longer bolts and it comes right off.. many times. #5? those are basic allen keys. should probly all ready have those. #6 i do have, but they are useless for removing/installing the snap rings on the piston pin. i use an exacto knife to remove and install. #4. a bussiness card is absolutly perfect and easy to thread thru the coil. and thats about it. i guess those tools are handy, but i couldnt imagine myself using them..

Sucram

I knew someone would get me on this. Yeah not the carboard box cardboard. The stuff you get stapled to most product (bags) is OK

kryptonite

Sucram said:
I knew someone would get me on this. Yeah not the carboard box cardboard. The stuff you get stapled to most product (bags) is OK
ya, i figured thats what you meant. i was just making it clear..lol..

DemonRC

kryptonite said:
for a piston stopper i use rope. i don't like the idea of putting all that pressure on the piston with that little pin.
I used rope for along time also. There are 3 things that made me stop using it:

1) I've had it go into my intake and/or exhaust port a few times and get cut. It's left little fibers all over the inside of my engine.

2) You have to use clean rope if your assembling. The piston stopper is gauranteed not to contaminate your engine as long as you blow it off.

3) I've damage a wrist pin bearing because the rope was bunched up on one side of the piston. I know this had to be the cause because I was disassembling a brand new engine to install a stuffed crank. As soon as I slipped the wrist pin bearing out of the top of the con-rod, it fell apart. The little rectanglar spacers between the pins seperated from the bearing housing in a few places. I think if you put enough pressure you can bend the con rod also. At least with the piston stopper you are putting force directly in the center of the piston everytime. Also, I have yet to dent a piston head with one.

Kaz the Minotaur

I also ran 2 bolts into the holes on the flywheel...it came right off.

I didn't use rope or a piston stopper. I just held a large screwdriver in under the clutch mounting bracket to keep everything still.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts