• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Tools that are needed to work on the x series

Dreggsta

hi guys, what tools or specialty tools are needed for these cars? i have a lot of tools & some small tools like small crescent wrenches, wrenches, sockets & stuff. i seen a vid where a guy disassembled an xb front diff to replace the bearings w/boca ones. he used an allen driver set in 3, 2.5 & 2mm size range. anything else? thanks.

G

I use hex driver bits for 90% of the wrenching. Get your self a small cordless drill or impact driver. They are worth their weight in gold. I use the bits from Killer RC and the long versions from DDM.

Trip..

I agree. A good set of 1.5,2,2.5,3,5,6 and you should be good to go. Long shafts are nice (huh huh huh) to get into hard to reach areas, ball ends are nice if you can't get directly onto the screw and short shafts (he he ya ya) are nice if you can't access a screw with a long shaft (huh huh huh)

I bought this and it's made my world a whole lot more fun with rampage disassembly...

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-piece-security-bit-set-68457.html I just chuck them into my cordless drill and have at it.

These are pretty decent as well.

http://http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piece-t-handle-ball-point-and-hex-key-wrench-set-96645.html

Dreggsta

thanks rcdad. i have a milwaukee cordless impact & drill but i'm thinking a smaller drill w/clutch might be the way to go. kinda like using a 1/4" drive ratchet to torque down a bolt instead of a 3/8th ratchet, you have a lesser chance of stripping something.

G

It's much easier to handle when working with the tiny hardware. I use the HF versions.

-

G

Trip.. said:
Hey I have that pit mat! Don't get brake cleaner on it!!!!I curls up like a Shrinky-Dink. lol
Ill keep that in mind!

G

Dreggsta said:
good 'ole harbor fright right there. i'm not knocking it. i have quite a few harbor fright stuff too. :)
Those are around $50 a piece with a coupon. Can't beat it. 9.6v lithium bat.

G

RCDAD said:
Those are around $50 a piece with a coupon. Can't beat it. 9.6v lithium bat.
Trip.. said:
Can you charge the batts on you R/C charger?
No. The batteries are in a case just like a full size cordless drill. They come with a charger. The packs have to come off the unit and plugged into the charger. This actually is better for me because I can swap the batteries between the two if I wear one down.

Trip..

I wasn't sure if you were like me and started sticking bare wires from the hobby charger on the drill batts. I have a tendency to do that sort of thing.

My charger said it would charge a Pb battery, so I hooked it to my Ford and I'll be damned if it didn't sit there and put a charge into it. lol.

I have the Ryobi 18v setup with a bunch of different tools, I know what you mean it's nice to be able to swap the packs out to all the different tools.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts