• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Tmr 9500 rpm clutch spring way better than hpi 8000 rpm? Does this one fit xb?

MikeAngelo

HELLO TO EVERYONE, I'VE READED ON THE FORUMS ABOUT TMR 9500 CLUTCH SPRING THAT IS WAY BETTER THAN HPI 8000 RPM, THE BIG QUESTION IS: DOES THIS ONE FIT ON THE STOCK XB ? AND IF YES, HOW HARD IS THE INSTALLATION? THE SENIOR GUYS PLEASE GIVE US STEP BY STEP INSTURCTIONS EASY TO BE FOLLOWED BY EVERYBODY IF U GUYS CAN BECOUSE I'M NEW TO THE HOBBY AND I HAVE NO IDEEA AT ALL REGARDING THE CLUTCH SPRING REPLACEMENT !!! THX ALOT !!! :confused:

Deluge

How are you going to use the XB? Obviously, the 9500 is a higher stall than an 8000. I'd stick with the 8000, or even a 7500. If you're going to use the XB mainly as a drag car, get the 9500. The 8000 or the 7500 will do, otherwise. If you need a visual on the spring install, check out the Baja 5B manual, it's the same process. It's on page 39.

Baja 5B Manual

GTS 666

True Deluge I would stick with a 8000 or lower in a buggy as 8000 is high enough in a MT to give it a good launch IMO. 9500 is alot of rpms before kick off might be good if clutch is in reverse as this gives great clutch wear results and no slip.

rcgasser

Thanks for the link to the manual deluge that was an interesting read and does make it very clear on how to change the clutch shoes. I also found it very interesting that for break in it just says drive easy and slow for 40 min. 1 tank and that's it!!!!!! That all the manual said for the break in process Hmmm!!!!!!

MikeAngelo

Thx alot guys for your promt response,that was really helpful but don't u guys think that instead to buy just the spring its better to buy 15448 - High Response Clutch Shoe & Spring Set? (http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.60/.f) for couple bucks more and just to replace it, becouse i've readed back on this forums that the 8000 rpm spring is a real pain to install, so i don't know what to do... thx again !!!

rcgasser

I have only installed the shoe and the spring and it was not hard at all and I have read on this forum also that the spring is hard to replace so I was thinking just like you that for a few dollars more just get a full set.

foxys

Trick to installing the spring by itself is a large pair of channel locks to bring the shoes into alignment. Keep the pliers off the friction material and snap the shoes in place. Takes about 20 seconds to install the spring alone, and the springs come 2 to a package, so you have a spare.

James1996

hey you would also need a piston stop you can make one out of an old spark plug as I am going to do when i change my clutch spring on my mt to 8000rpm

MikeAngelo

Ok... So u guys recommend to replace the stock shoes with the hpi light shoes when i install the 8000 rpm spring also? Are hpi ones a direct fit? And do u guys recomend installing them backwards for less wear?

Thx much !!!

Deluge

It would be easier with the HPI clutch shoes. As far as reversing the clutch, you could try it. I've really only seen it done on high horsepower engines. You might get some bogging if you try it with the stock engine.

MikeAngelo

Ok...so u guys basically run the 8000 rpm clutch&spring set the regular way and u guys are really happy with that,right? But how often u have to replace the shoes if they are run almost every day?and i'm asking this becouse I plan to buy an xb for my brother in sweden and probably will be better to buy couple more clutches for spare! !! Thx much for help!!!

Deluge

Yes. It's always good to have a few spares. How often you have to replace the clutch depends on driving style. The clutch shoes my MT came with are still kicking.

rcgasser

I would like to ask about the clutch shoes I was running at The track and at mid lap all of a sudden I have to rev the engine all the way up for the buggy to move. Is that the clutch shoes have went out now do I have to replace or could it be something else? Thanks.

Deluge

Check for binding in the gear plate. Make sure your brakes aren't engaging, as well.

rcgasser

I have heed for binding nothing is binding its rolling freely just have to rev the engine very high before it moves and it moves very slowly.

DemonRC

rcspeedmart said:
I have heed for binding nothing is binding its rolling freely just have to rev the engine very high before it moves and it moves very slowly.
Sounds like you are slipping. Pull your engine out (5 bolts) and look at the shoes. Chances are they are bare metal.

DemonRC

Best bang for the buck would be a Lauterbacher 4 shoe clutch. I won't run without one unless I absolutely have to. The springs do not soften up like the stock springs so the engagement RPM stays consistant. The shoes also last for a VERY VERY long time. I used to blow through a pair of $30 shoes once a month. That's not including an $8 red spring here and there when they go bad. After 3 years of running I could buy another Lauterbacher just from the money I've saved. The lack of maintainance alone is worth the money.

rcgasser

Ok thanks I will pull the engine this weekend thanks for the tip about the shoes wow you was changing once a month? Wow do you have a link on were I can get the shoes you are talking about that sounds great I hope that it is just the shoes it just started doing it all of the sudden and I could not find anything else that was wrong. Thanks once again for all your great help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.