• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Thinking of getting an XB-E

Trickle007

Contributor
I am thinking of selling my Trex 500 ESP and Trex 450 Sport helicopters (Heli's are just to dam hard to fly) and getting myself an XB-E. What i want to know is what is essential for upgrades for the XB-E to perform to top spec. From what I read it looks like the usual upgrades like servo's, change receiver so I can use my Futaba 3pm. Also i have seen alot of you sticking with the Hobbywing ESC and changing out the motor for a Castle 1717. When you change out the motor are there any mods needed for it to fit or is it pretty much "Plug and Play" ?

Are there any other upgrades that I am missing besides the ones I listed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Obeast44

Banned
Trickle007 said:
I am thinking of selling my Trex 500 ESP and Trex 450 Sport helicopters (Heli's are just to dam hard to fly) and getting myself an XB-E. What i want to know is what is essential for upgrades for the XB-E to perform to top spec. From what I read it looks like the usual upgrades like servo's, change receiver so I can use my Futaba 3pm. Also i have seen alot of you sticking with the Hobbywing ESC and changing out the motor for a Castle 1717. When you change out the motor are there any mods needed for it to fit or is it pretty much "Plug and Play" ?
Are there any other upgrades that I am missing besides the ones I listed?
The 1717 does require a little work to fit. The bolts that hold the engine mount to the front of the motor are larger on the 1717. The holes will need to be enlarged a little. Also the fins on the side of the can rub one of the front braces, and if you gear down to a 9t pinion (like I did). You will need to dremel a little off of the side of the brace. Also the 1717 comes factory with CCs 6.5mm bullet connectors. The stock ESC uses smaller 5mm ones (i think they were 5mm at least! LOL ), just get a set of the castle ones and solder them on the ESC.

My stock steering servo is still working fine, albeit a tad underpowered. I think thats mainly due to the 5.75volt output of the ESCs bec. I have a Hitec 5755 waiting just in case.

If ya have anymore questions, just ask. :)

Ol' fart

One more thing

Your going to need to upgrade your batteries to get better run time. Two 6c 5000ma fit in with a slight mod to the battery box's

killajb

I personally like the CC1520 over the CC1717 motor in this application.

So far, I've added a SportBec BEC (not really needed), Hitec 5745 servo, CC1520 w/ cooling fan and 6s 5000mah 40c batteries. I really like my setup and think it is ready for any 1/5 scale race lasting up to 30 min.

As a final note.. I'm thinking about getting 5b wheel adaptors to run the various types of rubber offered to Baja's.

Dirtconvert

I thought the stock esc is rated at 150amps continous?? I see all these big battery setups and don't hear about problems or fires. Just to reiterate a fact, mah x "c" rating divided by 1000 gives battery amperage.

Obeast44

Banned
Dirtconvert said:
I thought the stock esc is rated at 150amps continous?? I see all these big battery setups and don't hear about problems or fires. Just to reiterate a fact, mah x "c" rating divided by 1000 gives battery amperage.
True, but why not buy the 30c + batteries when they are about the same price? Id rather buy the 30c 5000mah batts and not have to "worry" about stressing them too much. That and the 6s batteries in the capacity offered by Hobbyking are pretty much all 30c+ to begin with :)

Ron E

Contributor
Ol said:
Your going to need to upgrade your batteries to get better run time. Two 6c 5000ma fit in with a slight mod to the battery box's
i agree, before mine got here i was planning the "must have" list... now that it's here... batteries are the only must have. this thing rips, it's awesome. can't wait for my batteries to get here. i will buy 7075's mods and upgrade other things in time, but-must have, none. well done redcat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirtconvert

I run Turnigy batts too. For the money they cant be beat. Again, a 40c 5000 mah battery is rated at 200amps. I run the nano-tech 3s 6000mah 35c in my Traxxas Slash. These batteries are 210amps. Are you guys changing the ESC??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts