• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

The belt drive system and exhaust ?

I have the MT with the 30cc motor. It has awsome takeoff rite now but if I pute a belt drive system on how bad will this affect the takeoff. Personally I like my trucks big so I don't wanna change to a smaller tire. Rite now the takeoff is great, in my driveway it will spinn real good on takeoff and blow donuts like crazzy. I don't wanna loose this takeoff so will putting a belt drive affect this that much. Ive been told they have a higher gear ratio to say Just wondering how much higher.

And I have an aftermarket exhaust on it not an expensive one cost only like 80 or 90. If I pute a better one to say how much will this inprove takeoff and everything. Which ones do u recomend???????

G

A inexpensive way to improve take off is an 8k clutch. It makes a night and day difference.

The multi ratio belt drive kit was designed for the huge MT tires. If you use the lowest ratio it will be about the same as the stock 25-35-25-25. There are two ratios slightly higher that will work to improve speed without sacrificing take off.

MrMeatHooks

RCDAD,

Im a bit confused about the end gear ratio, mainly because this truck has 4 gears. I get frazzled when I try to figure it out lol. Anyway, Im putting in that 36cc RAMtech RC ported race motor with alot more tq/hp over the 30.5cc I have now. Currently, with the 998 Walbro carb and Side mount JetPro pipe, the truck revs out very fast. I believe I can pull a taller gear. With this belt drive, will I be able to get more top end? Im not looking for 1:1 or changing tire sizes.

Thanks for your help!

Dreggsta

RCDAD said:
A inexpensive way to improve take off is an 8k clutch. It makes a night and day difference.The multi ratio belt drive kit was designed for the huge MT tires. If you use the lowest ratio it will be about the same as the stock 25-35-25-25. There are two ratios slightly higher that will work to improve speed without sacrificing take off.
rcdad, i was curious as to why you didn't offer a lower gear ratio belt drive set up. but after running 25-35 a-b's & seeing how much top end is hurt, i feel that 29-31's are low enough (w/xt tires). besides, once a larger engine is put in, taller gears are gonna be a must anyways. not to mention a belt drive. JMO.

Dreggsta

MrMeatHooks said:
RCDAD, Im a bit confused about the end gear ratio, mainly because this truck has 4 gears. I get frazzled when I try to figure it out lol. Anyway, Im putting in that 36cc RAMtech RC ported race motor with alot more tq/hp over the 30.5cc I have now. Currently, with the 998 Walbro carb and Side mount JetPro pipe, the truck revs out very fast. I believe I can pull a taller gear. With this belt drive, will I be able to get more top end? Im not looking for 1:1 or changing tire sizes.

Thanks for your help!
how many rotations does the rear drive shaft have to make to rotate the wheel 1 complete rotation? that's what a ratio means.

MrMeatHooks

Dreggsta said:
how many rotations does the rear drive shaft have to make to rotate the wheel 1 complete rotation? that's what a ratio means.
Yeah I just get confused. This is the first multi gear rig I have had lol. Usually just a ring and pinion for me which is easy to figure

Dreggsta

MrMeatHooks said:
Yeah I just get confused. This is the first multi gear rig I have had lol. Usually just a ring and pinion for me which is easy to figure
i'm totally w/you. ring & pinion is what i know too. what i was trying to tell you was just count the rotations & you know the gear ratio regardless if it had 10 gears is all i meant. :)

Dreggsta

i'm running stock, 990 & dom & i am contemplating the 1.38 belt drive i think it is? i love low gears but this redcat likes a lil taller gear IMO. especially the more powa you put in it. you see some of the vids on youtube of bigger motors in these cars. they wheely over so easy bc the gearing got lower from the increase in powa. gotta tune to the engines powa band. i got good at tuning atv ctv transmissions. mo powa like a bigger motor & you gotta go a lil taller at least

G

The XT tires are very close to 5b size tires. They are not even close to the size of the MT tires. I don't want the XT owners to get confused when I'm talking about monster truck tires.

Here is a chart that shows the ratio of the available gears. You can compare that to the ratios of the belt drive.

G

These pics will help you see the difference. I will use the trencher as a reference. I don't have a pic of a XT tire next to a MT tire. You can see the MT tire dwarfs the trencher and the XT tire is not as tall as a trencher.

Trencher(5T Size tire) next to a MT tire.

XT center with a Trencher to the left. 5b tire to the right.

Last edited:
G

Dreggsta said:
rcdad, i was curious as to why you didn't offer a lower gear ratio belt drive set up. but after running 25-35 a-b's & seeing how much top end is hurt, i feel that 29-31's are low enough (w/xt tires). besides, once a larger engine is put in, taller gears are gonna be a must anyways. not to mention a belt drive. JMO.
The new kit does offer three lower ratios than the 1:1 kit.

G

Dreggsta said:
my xt tires measure right around 6.25" in diameter.
MT tires are over 8.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts