• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Suspension Limiters $5

hamster huey

As far as I know there are 2 options for limiting suspension travel (droop, distance between ride heighth and full extension) on the Ramp, straps and shock limiters. I prefer limiters because they are a clean setup, cheap, easy, hidden and also shocks already have droop. If you don't believe me take off your shocks and see how much the arms extend w/o the shocks. I used 4 HPI front baja shocks I got from thunderchevy. It can also be done with the stock Redcat shocks. I used nylon spacers with a Oring on the bottom. I got the parts at a hardware store. The baja shocks require dremelling a slight dish on the arm around the rear springs (if using .5" spacers) but the fronts don't require any dremelling (if using 1" spacers). The front and rear lower spring cups will not rub the arms if you follow these steps. The redcat shocks do not require any dremmelling front or rear.

mooky

Contributor
this is a very similar fix to the ild school days, of putting a piece of fuel tube over the shock shaft ,which had the same effect but aloowed a little compression as to not knock out a lower shock cap or end.

big thumbs up for innovative thinking though:D

hamster huey

mooman007uk said:
only drawback with limiters is the force is still on the shocks, I broke shaft ends during barrel rolls with as there is nothing to stop them from being stretched so i made straps, the straps take all the force off all the shock components and hold things together when it goes all wrong and break a lower arm. when you come off a jump the shocks go from full compression to full droop and with limiters all the weight is on the screw in cap, the piston and shock ends. whilst they limit droop they don't actually remove any of the force on the shock components.
That is all true. Stock Rampage shocks and aftermarket shocks have force on the end cap etc. at full extension (which is not a problem for most of us) unless you use strap limiters as you said which transfer the force to whatever the straps are mounted to. They don't have anything like fuel tubing either to soften the force on full droop either. I think most will find the stock shocks (even with the stock shock's built in "hard" shock limiting which as you said puts all the force on the shock shaft,cap, piston, body,etc) strong enough otherwise everyone would be breaking the stock shocks. Some people in certain situations do have breakage but the stock shocks are more than strong enough for most of us even with their "hard" built in shock limiting. I did not have shaft breakage problems, I just wanted to limit travel to relieve dog bones so this will work for me and the baja shock shafts are 6mm for added beef over stock. I thought about doing straps but for me to accurately take off exactly 1" on the front and .5" on the rear this was best for me. Also I did not want to have to adjust straps later if the measurement changed. The nylon spacers will not change to to stretching, mounts getting worn, or anything else. I thought fuel tubing would be better too for the "soft" full extension but could not find any that fit over my 6mm shaft. I will keep looking though. I beleive the best way is with droop screws but havent figured out how to do that yet on the Ramp.

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonite

i use this method for on-road purpases. fuel tubing didnt work well becouse it would brake down in the oils. thou 1/4" auto grade fuel tubing will fit over the 6mm shock shafts. 1" sounds like alot to me for off road purpases. i really like having that much droop as my tt sits low, but has gobs of suspension travel. soaks up the jumps like a corr truck. i think the starpes work great for moo, but i don't like anything that limits the suspension travel. not even the little bit thats lost from the 6mm hpi shafts(i fixed that).. and for that, i pay the price. i have to keep shock pistons on invontory as well as shock end caps..

Piranha2

Contributor
"but it looks like I'm the only one to have them so far"

I'd be more than happy to take a set of them :D got any spares? I was actually thinking of cables (small), drill a hole in both frames and attach cable thru, maybe coil it in between frames so the cable doesn't just hang out the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

hamster huey

After driving I want a little more droop so I am taking off .25 from the front and the rear. And looking for some 50+ weight fork or petroleum? oil (HPI says not to use silicone). I am going to try the catchaser/moo shock spring cup retainer spacer mod and see if I like that better than slight "dishing". Its a good idea Im going try to find out.

kryptonite

hamster. you can use silocone in hpi shocks. they sugjest not to becouse the fork oil is what gives the 5b its outstanding handling. it foams up pretty well and creates an odd pressure. if you use fork oil in normal shock, they might leak. but you can use standard silocone with hpi shocks.

hamster huey

I always thought the HPIs had a weird sound when compressed. Rabies foam explains it! Seriously though it provides a more progressive feel? Why cant I find 60 fork oil?

hamster huey

I always thought the HPIs had a weird sound when compressed. Rabies foam explains it! Seriously though I did some research after kryptos post and it seems it does foam for a progressive feel as he says and the HPI baja weight is different than the silicone oil wieghts. Motorcyle shops do carry the "petroleum fork oil" in deffierent weights so maybe I should check it out.

kryptonite

ya, kinda like a progresion. bounce the shaft around, then pull the cap off and see what happens..lol.. its weird how it works. back in the day, you didnt want foaming, becoused it made the silocone thinner while it was in "foaming" mode. but its the opppisate with fork oil. i only had a few diffrent wieghts for my 5b. i think 5 and 20 or something. it was always easer to get silocones. thats why i did my homework on the fork oil thing, becouse it says right in the manuel. only use blah,blah,blah..

kryptonite

hamster huey said:
I always thought the HPIs had a weird sound when compressed. Rabies foam explains it! Seriously though I did some research after kryptos post and it seems it does foam for a progressive feel as he says and the HPI baja weight is different than the silicone oil wieghts. Motorcyle shops do carry the "petroleum fork oil" in deffierent weights so maybe I should check it out.
oh ya, check out the mx shops. they have to stock heveir weights. the fork oil really is the best method becouse of the way it dampans.. you can proibly buy a quart for the same price hpi sell the 10oz bottle..lol..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts