• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Super Bee installation questions

amstel78

I'm about to order a Super Bee and have a few questions. I am using the stock radio for now. It's a DSM-2C TX with a 3 channel RX.

1. Do I hook up the Super Bee to the steering servo jack on the RX and use a splitter cable for the steering servo? Or, can I hook up to the 3CH/Bind port? If the 3CH bind port can be used, I assume I still can't remotely kill the engine as the TX has no 3rd channel?

2. For installation in the XB, do I need to order the ignition cable extension pack or is the supplied cable long enough to reach the engine without stretching?

3. If I have to use the splitter cable/steering servo method of connection, can I still leave my failsafe connected to the throttle servo as a backup or will the two systems interfere with each other?

92 vert

The supplied cable is long enough..and no ditch the stock failsafe when you install the killswitch.

The Killer rc website has a diagram for 2 channel installs...it looks like a 2 channel install goes through the steering servo...I wasnt aware you could use a super bee with a 2 channel radio.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Correct. With the two channel you shut down by turning off the tx.

amstel78

RCDAD said:
Correct. With the two channel you shut down by turning off the tx.
Cool. I didn't see that mentioned in the manual... or perhaps I just missed it. That's very good to know.

amstel78

92 vert said:
The supplied cable is long enough..and no ditch the stock failsafe when you install the killswitch.The Killer rc website has a diagram for 2 channel installs...it looks like a 2 channel install goes through the steering servo...I wasnt aware you could use a super bee with a 2 channel radio.
Thanks for the info. My stock failsafe is programmed to cut throttle and apply brakes if the battery dies or if the receiver loses signal. Will the Killer Bee do the same thing even if its wired in parallel with the steering servo? Why does it use the steering servo instead of the throttle servo anyway?

92 vert

The killswitch will kill the motor if it loses signal...battery voltage drops...in the event your throttle servo were to fail you would turn off the remote and since the killswitch would read a loss of signal the car will die.

Im not sure why you use the steering over the throttle..the killswitch is working with the killswitch on the motor so you do not need for the super bee to go through the throttle servo.

I would prefer a 3 channel radio that way you can use a button to kill the buggy.

G

I would prefer a 3 channel radio that way you can use a button to kill the buggy.
That allows you to maintain steering after you kill it.

G

Nice. Which one are you after?

amstel78

RCDAD said:
Nice. Which one are you after?
Not sure yet. I actually ordered a Flysky GT3C but decided to cancel at the last minute. I'm still doing my research on this one.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Inertia Racing Products

as RCDAD said, i would look into getting a 3 channel radio.

the 2 ch will get you by, but it is nice to have steering when the switch engages and kills you.

i personally prefer Futaba radios, been using them for over 20 years..

i bought a used baja that had a Spektrum in it a few years back, and quickly switched out the receiver to run my 4PK , sold the specky on fleabay...

i have used the Flysky radios in some of my boats, cheaper than buying another Futaba 3ch receiver, i have never had an issue with them.

G

I run a 4PKS more than Ill ever need. The 4PL is also a very nice radio but at a nicer price point. They're both 4 channel radios.

I also have a GT3b. I never had any issues with it. Great for the price. With the release of the GT3c means great prices on the GT3b. I've seen them as low as 35 bucks. Just depends on what you want to spend. I'm not very conservative so I tend to get more than I need. LOL

Stumpdiggitty

im runnin the new Airtonics MX-V. 3 channel, 4aa's and the runtime on that set of aa's is amazing. digital, multi feature for $130. very nice radio

G

How is the programming? The only complaint on the Airtronics I have read is the menus are not as user friendly.

G

He probably has the 3pl or 4pl.

amstel78

Finally got around to installing the Killer Bee switch today. I was planning to wait until my Spektrum DX3S arrived but ended up changing my mind. I'm still using the stock Redcat radio and receiver so that meant having to use the Y-cable between the steering servo and Killer Bee.

Contrary to what others have done however, I decided to leave the external failsafe attached to the throttle servo. This way, I have two levels of protection. If there's a glitch or radio interference, the Killer Bee kills the engine, and the external failsafe applies the brakes. Together, they work well with no interference.

Here's a quick post-install test video I made a few minutes ago:

[ame]

[/ame]P.S. Sorry for the shaky camera... it was only 25 degrees outside when I filmed the video and I was freezing!

GoffeeRedCat

If youre running the stock Redcat radio, you don't need the external failsafe!! the Stock receiver has that built in!! here a video!!

it starts at the 2 minute mark!

get rid of that external failsafe, so you have more room in the battery box

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts