• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Stock Shocks 5mm Shafts $4.59

hamster huey

When Rob got these part numbers in a month or so ago I got some. 50122 Rear, 50121 Front, $4.59 each. Its a front and a rear shock shaft for the stock shocks. They are 5mm according to my ruler. I don't have my calipers here so cant spot on it. Im happy but has anyone else ran into this? Has anyone else done this mod yet? It would require making the rod end hole bigger and the shock end cap hole bigger. Anything else Im missing? This could be the cheapest hopup to beef up the shocks.

hamster huey

The new shock shafts are 5mm vs the old ones at 4mm! This is now the cheapest shock shaft upgrade. The cartridge holes need to be drilled at 5mm but take the rubber seals out so you don't damage them. The rod end needs to be enlarged too but NOT 5mm, just enlarge it a little from where it is. Very easy to dissassemble. The bottom shock in the picture is the 5mm one. The top one is the 4mm one. You will need different orings for the bottom cartridge. Very easy and cheap mod all 4 shock shafts less than $20 from Rampagehopups.com.

100_1004.jpg

/monthly_2010_01/100_1004.jpg.29065bf1723d41d124f7681c9d695266.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

csp1971

Contributor
hamster huey said:
The new shock shafts are 5mm vs the old ones at 4mm! This is now the cheapest shock shaft upgrade. The cartridge holes need to be drilled at 5mm but take the rubber seals out so you don't damage them. The rod end needs to be enlarged too but NOT 5mm, just enlarge it a little from where it is. Very easy to dissassemble. The bottom shock in the picture is the 5mm one. The top one is the 4mm one. Very easy and cheap mod all 4 shock shafts less than $20 from Rampagehopups.com.
Now THAT is awesome! Great news!

Evildomain

Contributor
I bought these shock shafts without knowing that they were 5mm shafts. OOPS!

I did the mod on a shock because I only had one shaft that was broken.

I do have to warn you guys to be careful when drilling out the shock cap. It is

possible to destroy it if done wrong. Since I didn't have any smaller o-rings for the cap

and the two stock ones fit really tight with the 5mm shaft, putting the cap back

together is a pain. What I did was slice one of the o-rings right down the center

making two halves. So instead of using two o-rings I ended up with one and a half and

I was able to put the end cap back together. It gave me a tight seal and I have not

had any problems so far. If it holds up I will purchase more shafts and upgrade the rest

of the shocks. :)

pwaicon

The funny thing is I bought some replacement shock plastic parts about 2 months ago and the hole was too big for my stock shafts. I emailed and asked if they were coming out with thicker shafts and was told no and that the parts I got were defective. Now I see they were not defective, they just arrived before the shock shafts did. :rolleyes:

Evildomain

Contributor
pwaicon said:
The funny thing is I bought some replacement shock plastic parts about 2 months ago and the hole was too big for my stock shafts. I emailed and asked if they were coming out with thicker shafts and was told no and that the parts I got were defective. Now I see they were not defective, they just arrived before the shock shafts did. :rolleyes:
So did they have you ship the parts back?

Are those the same plastic pieces that Rob sells on Rampagehopups? I was

going to order them but wasn't sure if they are for the 5mm shafts.

hamster huey

I just got done searching for a better O ring. Ace only has standard not metric. None of the hobby stores have any. But True value had 66 cent 5x8x1.5 mm which is a kinda tight but useable. The 5x8x1.5 is pretty easy to get together. I couldnt find 5x7x1.5 or 5x8x1.0. If the new shock end cartridges are also 5mm that makes sense because I ordered a shock Oring kit (51020 o ring) also and I think those O rings are 5x10x2. The new O rings from the new Oring kit (51020 O ring) are so big the don't even fit in the hole without the shaft in place thats why I bet youre right theyre for a new 5mm cartridge. Another option is to drill out the hole (5/16 a tick smaller than 8mm) the orings go in but that looks easy to mess up So it looks like this to me if 50127 has 5mm cartridge parts:

1) slightly tight 5mm shaft upgrade: $5.28 for 8 orings + $18.36 for 5mm shafts + drill out shaft holes=$23.64

2) perfect fit 5mm shaft upgrade: $18.36 for shafts + $16 O rings (51020 o ring X4) +$ 8 (50127 X4?) plastic parts= $42.36 if not X4, $66.36 if X4

csp1971

Contributor
Bits still have to be modified to accommodate these new shock shafts? Dammit, why do they release some sort of half-assed upgrade or fix or whatever you want to call it and not complete it by making the parts that go with it?

hamster huey

This is still good news to me. We have been asking for things to beef up weak links. Im going to try this option. If I have to I will go to option 2.

3) perfect 5mm shaft upgrade: $5.28 for 8 orings + $18.36 for 5mm shafts + drill out holes (including very carefuly the 5/16 O ring hole)=$23.64

csp1971

Contributor
hamster huey said:
This is still good news to me. We have been asking for things to beef up weak links. Im going to try this option. If I have to I will go to option 2.
3) perfect 5mm shaft upgrade: $5.28 for 8 orings + $18.36 for 5mm shafts + drill out holes (including very carefuly the 5/16 O ring hole)=$23.64
It is good news, partially. The other half of it is that they don't tell anyone they are updating, no news on their site or anything. I bet the parts numbers stayed the same and Rob probably wasn't even aware they updated the part.

Don't get me wrong, it's good, but to make it easy on the customer, they should provide some sort of "news" of updates, upgrades, etc. Unless I've completely missed a thread here or missed something on their site.

hamster huey

Yep. I see what youre saying. We have 5mm shafts which is good but don't know how to install them and someone who broke a shaft and orders a new one is in for a surpise. I just got done trying 1 and 3 but no luck just leaks, was carful and went together well though. Now I have leaky plastic parts, spent $5 on a 5/15 bit, spent $7 in gas looking for o rings, spent $8 on misc orings, and now have to order the plastic shock parts/oring kits again not nowing if the parts I get will be 4mm or 5mm. It only took 5 hours to do all that. Frustrating but thats life when for a guinea pig. Hopefully its worth it. I want 5mm shocks perfect not tight.

pwaicon

Evildomain said:
So did they have you ship the parts back?
Are those the same plastic pieces that Rob sells on Rampagehopups? I was

going to order them but wasn't sure if they are for the 5mm shafts.
I ordered the plastic shock parts from Rob and he didn’t request I send them back he just refunded my money. The sad thing is I believe I threw them out as they were useless to me; at least that is what I thought a couple months ago. You would have to email Rob or perhaps he will chime in and let us all know if the current stock of the plastic shock parts are for the 4mm or the new 5mm shocks shafts. Like others have said this is probably all news to him as well as I don’t remember reading anything about upgraded shock shafts.

hamster huey

You can get 4 HPI shocks (4 front) used on ebay for $60-75 shipped or new for $90-$110 shipped. I have both HPI and redcat shocks. I like the Redcat shocks better. They are smooth, effective, have less parts, and arent home made. My redcats need less maintenance but that seems like the nature of the beast. If all we need to put on 5mm shafts is the shafts, O-rings, and plastic peices, then Redcat shocks will be a much easier install than the HPIs. The HPIs have to be hacked to make them work.

hamster huey

Everything Needed for 5mm Shafts

I just got my parts! I ran down to the basement, tried them and they fit! Woo hoo Im happy! Ok after all the trouble it was worth it but I wish I wasnt the guinea pig. :eek: Trial and error was a little expensive. I wish someone would have told me this earlier. Anyway here are all the parts you need to do the conversion:

50121 X2 (4.59 each)

50122 X2 (4.59 each)

50120-O-ring X4 (3.99 each)

50127 X4 (7.99 each)

------------------

Total $66.28

I might add everything goes together well. There is no hacking at all. You will have some spare rings and plastic shock parts left over. You need to pop the metal eyelet out of the old shock (where it attaches to the arm) and pop it in the new shock eyelet hole. So simple.

hamster huey

By the way if you break a HPI shaft they are $9 a piece and the bottom eyelets are molded into the shaft. Thats were they usually break.

Ron E

Contributor
hamster huey said:
I just got my parts! I ran down to the basement, tried them and they fit! Woo hoo Im happy! Ok after all the trouble it was worth it but I wish I wasnt the guinea pig. :eek: Trial and error was a little expensive. I wish someone would have told me this earlier. Anyway here are all the parts you need to do the conversion:
50121 X2 (4.59 each)

50122 X2 (4.59 each)

50120-O-ring X4 (3.99 each)

50127 X4 (7.99 each)

------------------

Total $66.28

I might add everything goes together well. There is no hacking at all. You will have some spare rings and plastic shock parts left over. You need to pop the metal eyelet out of the old shock (where it attaches to the arm) and pop it in the new shock eyelet hole. So simple.
great info thanks hamster, i'll be ordering these for my ramps along with moo's diff cups... even though i've yet to break a diff cup or shock shaft i'm putting the mt together soon, might as well do it right. I'll do it to the tt when needed. thanks again for the info.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts