• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Stiff Suspension

sdmaker

Just got my MT today. does anyone else think the stock suspension setup is way to stiff dampening wise? mine will actually bounce on the front tires before the suspension moves. don't think the springs are too stiff really, just seems like it needs much thinner oil. I will say this, its my first 1/5 scale. been into rc for 25 plus years though. I drained one shock and added some 25wt oil i had, still to stiff comepared to the 1/8th scale stuff i used to.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdmaker

Nice. thats how it should be. however thats not the way mine is.

sdmaker

yes springs them selfs don't feel to bad. just seems like the oil is to thick. even with 25 weight in them, was a fair amount of drag between the orings and shafts also. maybe they just need to be used a bit to loosen up. I might take a look at the pistons as well, maybe holes have burrs or something.

TerraKill

the shocks havent been overfilled have they? if you over fill a shock absorber, it just goes solid and bouncy

if anything try a lighter oil

ps. if its a new truck give it a little time to bed in

G

I didn't think it was possible to overfill a shock. All the tutorials I've seen are about how to bleed out all the air.

rcgasser

RCDAD said:
I didn't think it was possible to overfill a shock. All the tutorials I've seen are about how to bleed out all the air.
I have never heard of that also. If it is over filled the oil will leak out as you are screwing the cap back on..

sdmaker

the holes in the shock pistons had alot of flashing or burrs on them. cleaned them up with drill bit and all is good now.

it is possible to overfill some shocks. if there is no rubber diaphram in the cap and you fill them to the top with the shock fully extended, when the shock compresses the shafts displace the oil and it has no where to go. can lead to leaking seals, blown caps, bent shafts and so on.

to avoid this i usually fill my shocks then compress them to remove excess oil, then before installing cap pull the shafts out to about mid travel. this gives you a pretty neutral shock.

TerraKill

sdmaker said:
it is possible to overfill some shocks. if there is no rubber diaphram in the cap and you fill them to the top with the shock fully extended, when the shock compresses the shafts displace the oil and it has no where to go. can lead to leaking seals, blown caps, bent shafts and so on.
better explination then i woulda given :D ty

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts