• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Steel gears

max 1

any one still haveing soft gear problems ? just wasted another set ,just like they melted .u can take a fill and fill a grove in it.i thout they solve that problem.

DON 44

Contributor
your thread said steel gears.. whats your problem.I've got steel gears in my mt and never had a problem.Therer's no soft or melting problems that i know of.don't know about plastic gears. first thing i do in any r/c that i have is install all steel gears.

max 1

MY 29 31 CEAP MELTING.but my 25 35 are perfet.

DON 44

Contributor
25/35 is for the mt(big tires) 29/31 is for the the tt (small tires or hpi wheels)You have to have the correct tires to match gears.

max 1

the 29 31 are fore the tt & dunrunner.the29s just strip the teeth right of.u can take a fill and make a groove in eatch gear.three tanks of gas and there gone.so put the plastices back on ,no problems .there nt binding turn smooth,have the steal bracke sqaurs in both of them.the mt no problems with the steals , no wear on them at all.must have got some that wernt hardend.

csp1971

Contributor
How long ago did you purchase the steel gears max? I recall a few people here on the forum having some problems with the steel gears initially. I purchased mine when they were released and have yet to have any issues with them.

max 1

i bout them new 4 months ago .both sets on two different car ,both have the steal brack sqaurs .

berto1230781

i'm thinking of putting some 27/33 on my mt with stock tires u guys think i will be ok engine is a 30cc with a side dom

max 1

I am running a ported 30.5 with the plastic 29 31 ones wiyh no problems so fare.

max 1

went and ran my mt last night 2 tanks and now sine of wear on the steal 25/35s don,t under stand it? must have got a goodv set.

Obeast44

Banned
I had my first gear issue last Saturday. I was running 31/29 Redcat gears with Ramtech 25s on C and D on my 30.5 OBR Zen. All the gears look great except my 31, its showing some serious wear.Its bad enough I wont be using it anymore. I run the gear cover without ventilation holes, and im thinking the heat buildup on the "A" gear caused the premature wear. It could have been a hardening issue or a heat issue, either way that gear has quite a few gallons on it so I don't mind replacing it :)

max 1

i have mine well vented but still lost the 29/31.but my mt is looking very good,running mcd 23/26 c&d no wear at all.my budy just lost a 31 ,29 is perfect.

bobi

max 1 said:
i have mine well vented but still lost the 29/31.but my mt is looking very good,running mcd 23/26 c&d no wear at all.my budy just lost a 31 ,29 is perfect.
I just got my rampage and converted it to a mt I have installed Proline rims and Proline Trencher tires for and HPI 5T. So, my gearing is still stock tt gearing was woundering if I need to gear down because of the taller 5t tires.

I did run agianst an hpi buggy and we where even top end. Bottom end a little doggy on the rampage? Not sure what to do for gearing. I don't bash I only race oval and off road mildly.

Obeast44

Banned
bobi said:
I just got my rampage and converted it to a mt I have installed Proline rims and Proline Trencher tires for and HPI 5T. So, my gearing is still stock tt gearing was woundering if I need to gear down because of the taller 5t tires.
I did run agianst an hpi buggy and we where even top end. Bottom end a little doggy on the rampage? Not sure what to do for gearing. I don't bash I only race oval and off road mildly.
Try 27/33, thats what Ron E has been running on his Proline Trencher equipped Rampage.

Ron E

Contributor
Obeast44 said:
Try 27/33, thats what Ron E has been running on his Proline Trencher equipped Rampage.
it's perfect gearing for me, I have 29/31, 30/30 or any combo you want and 27/33 is great with the taller tires, 28.5 kit, side dom and 8k spring... any more gear and it's slower off the line and too fast on top, yes I said too fast... I just don't need that much mph... maybe on a big oval you could run your 29/31 tt gearing but for basic running the 27/33 is great.

Last edited by a moderator:

soulja55

DON 44 said:
25/35 is for the mt(big tires) 29/31 is for the the tt (small tires or hpi wheels)You have to have the correct tires to match gears.
thanks for that Don. i've been wondering what gears to run with HPI tires....and you've solved that! i was just patient for someone to post it! :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts