• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

"Steel Gear Issue"

lightning73

I just installed a new set of steel gears on my MT today, but when i put it back together i noticed a problem, when i put it on the ground and tried rolling it to see how smooth the mesh was, there was no smooth! In fact there was no rolling it without forcing it to roll, and even then it only wants to roll backward and will not roll forward. Any movement i get out of it is accompanied by metal grinding noises. Everything went back together and lined up perfectly, no mis-aligned screw holes to cause a binding issue, im not sure whats causing it, anyone have any suggestions? Ive read a few threads where people say the steel gears need breaking in to mesh smoothly, but my problem is not even being able to roll my truck. One other thing to note if i tighten the gear nuts tight it causes this whole problem, if i leave them snug it will roll a little bit but under force, if i leave them loose it will roll much better without forcing it to roll. Im pretty sure the nuts are supposed to be tight right?

grf

here is something to test.

install the 35t alone on the clutch spin it and observe if it is ok.

if it is not install different square and do it again.

try the same with all the 25t.

this way you can find out if some or all your gears have problems. my 25t are just rubbish and decided to return the full set for a refund.

if your gears are good then check if you need to apply force during installation of the middle set. that will be an indication of how good your gear plate is.

the other that could be wrong is a bend shaft or the aluminium square.

hope it helps

rob64n

Contributor
heres an issue some do not think about, in the gear plate you have bearings, in between those bearings there is air space when you over tighten the nut it tries to squeeze the inner races so what sprint and myself have done to all of ours is put metal tubing (aluminum or steel) in between the two bearings that way when you tighten them the inner races have something between them so you don't put excess pressure on the bearing and trust they will roll smooth

grf

you are 100% correct. done that too.

you can feel the problem when you try to rotate the shaft (without gears on a and c shafts) and it is not free spinning.

krashkrieg

Contributor
rob64n said:
heres an issue some do not think about, in the gear plate you have bearings, in between those bearings there is air space when you over tighten the nut it tries to squeeze the inner races so what sprint and myself have done to all of ours is put metal tubing (aluminum or steel) in between the two bearings that way when you tighten them the inner races have something between them so you don't put excess pressure on the bearing and trust they will roll smooth
So Rob are you saying you wouldn't have this problem if you had the AL gear plate and wanted to add metal gears?

I have the AL gear plate coming and already went through one set of White so Metal are in my near future...

grf

no mater if it is al or plastic the small tube is required to ensure bearings have only radial load. that is why a lot of guys here recommend not to overtightened the bolts.

lightning73

rob64n said:
Im betting thats part of my problem, hey rob can you post a pic of how you did your set up, so i can see what needs to be done, it would be helpful as im not totally clear on what to do. And i also wanted to replace my gearplate bearings but i cant find them anywhere, does anyone know where i can get them? Or have a link they can post for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin

like this between the bearing.

Photo2 004.jpg

/monthly_2010_06/583c605df404f_Photo2004.jpg.15a523011d337a844048e687ae245c15.jpg

krashkrieg

Contributor
Martin, Many Thanks for me and Lightning73.....

What type of material is that tube made of? Do you remember the size so I can pick some tube up before taking her apart?

Hopefully the shaft size is close to a US measurement, don't know where to get metric tubing locally...

Obeast44

Banned
I just used a few washers from the hardware store. Take a bearing and shaft with you with you when you go and find one that will fit over the shaft and is smaller than the outer race. I bought like 10 or so and it was more than enough. I wish I could remember the size though :(

lightning73

I took my gears apart again last night and noticed one of the bearings had a small dent in the race, I pinched it between my fingers and was spinning it and there were a few rough spots, and some grinding noises, needless to say thats not goin back in but I cant seem to locate these bearings....help!.... :(

lightning73

Obeast44 said:
What bearing in the gearplate is it exactly? There are 2 different sizes used on it.
I wanted to replace all the bearings in my gearplate not just the damaged one, the reason why is im doing all i can to eliminate the problem im having with these tight gears, so i wanna start off with all new bearings in the gearplate. I believe there are 5 of them total in the plate and they should come as a set, if at all possible id like to get a ceramic set but would settle for steel, anyone got a link?

lightning73

krashkrieg said:
A shaft is one 50070 and one 50045
D shaft is one 50070

B/C shaft looks like two 50070

(the rampage PDF doesn't show the # for the second bearing on the shaft)

look here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/c.849850/site/rampage2.pdf

50070 are 22/ 8 / 7

50045 are 26 / 10 / 8
Thanks krash but the first thing I did was went to the manual lookin for part numbers, which I was able to find, only problem is I didnt know where to order them from, I searched around and could not find the bearings by their part numbers anywhere. I cant believe its so difficult to track down these bearings, considering its a common maintenance part.... :(

fat49f1

Contributor
i got a set from vertigo to do the whole truck ,i will see if i can find a part number when i get home. I got my set from vancouver hobbies for around $70, and replaced every bearing in the truck

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts