• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Spark Plug and Performance ?

Yannik

Hi guys,

I am curious to know what you guys think about Spark Plug and Performance. I've been driving 2 stroke Motocross all my life before my accident and I know for a fact, the choice of spark plug was very important because it would play on the performance, the life of the engine, ect. Now, I would like to know what kind of Spark plug you guys are using for the rampage? What are the better brand or better quality of spark plugs? :D Are Baja spark plug compatible with redcat rampage spark plug?

Let see what you guys are thinking :eek:

Deluge

Or Autolite 4194. The spark plug itself just delivers a spark, obviously. It only effects performance if you start messing with heat ratings and gap. Colder plugs are used in high-horsepower, high-compression situations. Hotter plugs are used in standard engines. Messing with gap only effects efficiency. A wider gap will provide a cleaner burn, but runs the risk of not firing, while a narrow gap will always fire, but not enough to actually ignite the fuel. With that being said, messing with the plugs on these engines will show little, if any benefit.

Also, the Baja and Redcat engines are essentially the same. Both are CY, but some V3's are coming with HY engines, which as I understand, are a CY knock-off. So plug compatibility is not an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

jackson

hey guys just got my cat few days ago, used

no idea how the first owner rann this thing and am a newbie in 5th scales, so watching all of the vids i could, reading as much as i could, well got the truck took it appart, loctite all the nuts and bolts, didn't touch the carb needles, clean as much as i could, took it outsite

primed the engine hey fired right up!

than notice i was draging it self no power as far as the owner told me the truck had no more than rwo tanks in it, so i figure go easy for a bit

guess what? engine stalled

didn't started again got a new plug just to make sure the old one still works, first pull fired right up still not even close to what sould be in terms of power(juice) well took it appart again cleaned it, all of it gas tanks engine everything, when to the loocal gas station got some nice fresh gas had a nice mix and the thing just reffuse to start!

please what should i do!??? before i destroy it!

Deluge

Reset the carb needles to stock settings.

Low - 1 1/4 turns from closed.

High - 1 1/2 turns from closed.

Idle - 2 1/2 turns from closed.

If the idle is too high, richen the low needle just until the clutch doesn't engage. Now these settings are on the rich side, so you'll have to make small adjustments to get it where you want it.

Yannik

Deluge said:
Or Autolite 4194. The spark plug itself just delivers a spark, obviously. It only effects performance if you start messing with heat ratings and gap. Colder plugs are used in high-horsepower, high-compression situations. Hotter plugs are used in standard engines. Messing with gap only effects efficiency. A wider gap will provide a cleaner burn, but runs the risk of not firing, while a narrow gap will always fire, but not enough to actually ignite the fuel. With that being said, messing with the plugs on these engines will show little, if any benefit.
Also, the Baja and Redcat engines are essentially the same. Both are CY, but some V3's are coming with HY engines, which as I understand, are a CY knock-off. So plug compatibility is not an issue.
Deluge: Thanks for the info, it actually answered one of my question earlier about the compatibility of the spark plug with Baja & Rampage.

Krashkrieg: Have you tried the NGK Iridium Spark plug?

pipeous

local shop didn't have any cmr7h, so I grabbed a few cmr7a plugs. they are working fine in my cy27 and I don't notice any performance loss or gains. it's a little colder plug but works for me

krashkrieg

Contributor
Yannik said:
Krashkrieg: Have you tried the NGK Iridium Spark plug?
No sorry I haven't. I'm guessing I might try one when I rebuild with Big Bore kit.

Others may have more input on the potential performance gains.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts