• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Side Dom Tight Fit

hamster huey

My problem: with all screws/bolts loose for mounting the rear side mount did not line up. I had to pound the rear side mount with a hammer to get it bent/contoured to fit the chassis. Also the front and rear side bolts are too short and the self tapping screws are crappy at self tapping. The rear rubber spacer got blown in the first tank of the pipe. I drilled holes for the self tapping screws. So off to the harware store tomorrow for longer screws and a new spacer. This pipe halls balls! Its worth the trouble if it can take a beating and last a long time. Did any of youse have similar issues?

Ron E

Contributor
I had the same issues with mine, after reading the instructions i thought my 6 year old could do it... of course it took me an hour to get it perfect. i also had to put a couple slight bends in the brackets for perfect fit, vise and hammer. .. :D :D but now its straight, solid and fit nice, but the brkts are not a perfect fit with the pipe, i used longer bolts to mount the pipe to the brkts thru the grommets, they have a slight angle to them but only slight... that being said, this pipe rocks! ran a tank thru the tt and leaned her out on the second tank, awesome performance even with the stock 23cc mill.

glad it wasn't just me.

kryptonite

i hear ya hamster. my first side dom went on very smoothly, but this one was a pain. it also had some good deep scratches on it. im thinking thats why they were free with purchase(ddm). i tried and tried to get the rear mount to line up, and i nixed it. the front mount only is fine for my light/rare/on-road use. but i like how they gave the self tapping screws. i used them to get me going, but went to pick up some lock nuts and bolts. the rubber gromit worked fine on the first one, but this one is way too tight and might need replacing.. all in all, this pipe is not kids play.. its no joke right? i like the scaled look of my X-can on the mt, but the only way to get "real" power is with a "real" pipe.

kryptonite

Ron E said:
that being said, this pipe rocks! ran a tank thru the tt and leaned her out on the second tank, awesome performance even with the stock 23cc mill.
glad it wasn't just me.
i ran my tt with the stock 23 for a while with the side pipe. it really opens up that little motor. in my baja5b's i had jet-pros and they were top end pipes, so you still needed to upgrade the little cy23 to get good power. i am really impressed with the side doms. also considering they were free with purchase makes it even better!

Ron E

Contributor
kryptonite said:
i ran my tt with the stock 23 for a while with the side pipe. it really opens up that little motor. in my baja5b's i had jet-pros and they were top end pipes, so you still needed to upgrade the little cy23 to get good power. i am really impressed with the side doms. also considering they were free with purchase makes it even better!
ya, 569.00 for a tt, pipe and upgrade kit... make the rampage a great deal. i've been having a blast with my tt and just installing the upgrade kit as needed, wich IT NEEDS... a couple more runs and breaks and i'll have the whole kit installed... :D but for the money it can't be beat. and as it breaks and i upgrade i learn more about my rig... gear plate and diffs next. :)

csp1971

Contributor
hamster huey said:
My problem: with all screws/bolts loose for mounting the rear side mount did not line up. I had to pound the rear side mount with a hammer to get it bent/contoured to fit the chassis. Also the front and rear side bolts are too short and the self tapping screws are crappy at self tapping. The rear rubber spacer got blown in the first tank of the pipe. I drilled holes for the self tapping screws. So off to the harware store tomorrow for longer screws and a new spacer. This pipe halls balls! Its worth the trouble if it can take a beating and last a long time. Did any of youse have similar issues?
I just put mine on yesterday. I was about to throw that #$@$ing pipe in the garbage. I bent both of the mounts that came with it UP towards the chassis, then, like you, my bolts were too short. I just happened to have a couple that were a few mm's longer and got it bolted up finally. One of the worst experiences I've had with a pipe. I feel better knowing others had issues with it.

Ron E

Contributor
update, pipe is working great, rear rubber spacer is melted about 1/2 way thru, will need to replace soon... no big deal.

the real issue with this pipe is that I keep freakin burning myself on it... :D I've got a burn on my left wrist and 2 on my rt little finger... doh :eek: . I spose I shouldn't clean or tune till she cools down but damn that gaint chrome thing hanging off the side just looks so cool, I must touch it, ouch... damn that thing gets hot... :D

mopar jake

yes i had problems mounting my side dominator too but it wasent too bad i had more trouble taking off the stock exhaust lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts