• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

shock extenders

chevy

I didnt like the way the rampage shock tower was putting my shocks at such a hard angle putting pressure sideways into the shocks everytime they made their up and down stroke so u took some half inch thick aluminum used a new shock tower to reference the holes, drilled the holes and polished the aluminum pieces took about an hour to make I took out my rampage the next day and it performed well the shocks are more level and they keep the wheels right one the ground every rock or bump also improved my traction and takeoff speed and i noticed that my shocks are more smoother no binding and have a longer stroke this is one mod everybody should try it makes the rampage perform better all around, im also trying to make diffrent extenders so that the baja vvc shocks will bolt up without binding, (I need to go to the lhs and measure their height).. I'll see if this makes the shocks lasts longer, I included a few pics so you can get an idea what it looks like....

Last edited by a moderator:

CS Freak

my damper bridges

looker2756

Contributor
Cool idea. Anyone have video of these in action. I would like to see the suspension working. I like the idea already though !

chevy

Scaremonger nice extenders they look good I like how they have 3 bolts to the tower, but they do look thin, the extenders I used are half inch thick alittle thicker than the shock tower, I havnt had any distortion or bending but the rear set is thinner than the front im going to make a new set thats alittle farther apart and use 1/2 inch thick by 1 inch wide aluminum stick thats 8 foot long. Close to 50$ for it, :( I've been working on mounting my new steel bumpers and the mt body I got from forist but this weekend it will be ready to go, ill get some video of them in action I found a good wash with lots of gravel and bumps :)

scaremonger

looker2756 said:
Cool idea. Anyone have video of these in action. I would like to see the suspension working. I like the idea already though !
Here is a video with only the front done this way. [ame]

[/ame]

scaremonger

chevy said:
Scaremonger nice extenders they look good I like how they have 3 bolts to the tower, but they do look thin, the extenders I used are half inch thick alittle thicker than the shock tower, I havnt had any distortion or bending but the rear set is thinner than the front im going to make a new set thats alittle farther apart and use 1/2 inch thick by 1 inch wide aluminum stick thats 8 foot long. Close to 50$ for it, :( I've been working on mounting my new steel bumpers and the mt body I got from forist but this weekend it will be ready to go, ill get some video of them in action I found a good wash with lots of gravel and bumps :)
YOur right bro they were thin and bend thats why i asked. i forgot to call those prototype. i used 3\16 aluminum 2ply and that was to thin. the new and improved are 1\4" and work good. http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu229/SCAREMONGER_2009/Parts/Rshockmount.jpg

chevy

ok so i just finished my new and final set of shock tower extenders my neibor brought me over a small 1/4 thick x 20 inch long and 3 inch wide billet aluminum stick that he had laying around in his aluminum bin, I went down to the hobby store and measured the baja vvc/hd shocks and i got 7 1/4 extended lenght for the fronts and 8 1/4 extended lenght for the rears so these new set of shock extenders i wanted to be able to fit the baja hd shocks and also have muliple shock position holes i think i got them dialed in, it took me about 12 hours total over a few days and beers.. haha I Was Slowly Working, on That with a Few Other Projects, I hand cut each piece out and filed, sanded, drilled, the holess... ictinike you can have my old set ill send you just pay shipping or send me a pre-paid envelope that i can mail back to you with the extenders in it??? or i can make you a set like my new ones ?? heres a few pics of the new set i just finished.....

this is just after i finished the first one..

here's theextenders compaired to the regular shock position..

here are the front set mounted up and ready for some jumps....

and finally the rear set....

now when i get some $$ i can get the baja vvc/hd shocks...

chevy

they work well didnt notice any diffrence in cornring might of helped alittle I think they keep th wheels planted on the ground more witch I noticed faster takoff seem to keep the wheels stuck to the ground. grizz the padlock and cable is in case sombody feels like they wanna take my mt with them, my neiborhood isnt what youd consider nice and I do like to leave my garage door open just eliminating the chance plus this way I know my younger brother aint giving it any "test runs" when im not home :)

grizzledcamudgen

It seems like it would "plant" it's wheels better that way! It's probably stronger that way as well.

grizz the padlock and cable is in case sombody feels like they wanna take my mt with them, my neiborhood isnt what youd consider nice and I do like to leave my garage door open just eliminating the chance plus this way I know my younger brother aint giving it any "test runs" when im not home

I gotcha! lol :D

That would be a downer if it were to get stolen!

chevy

Daniel how did you manage those shock towers?? they look really good!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts