• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Self powered thermoelectric heatsink/fan combo

DUFFY

Like the title said I'm making a heatsink fan combo that's powered by heat. Look up seebeck and peltier plates if you have never heard of the concept, It's basically the second law of theormodynamics put to a good use/proved. These are just two pieces of dissimilar metals that create a current when one side is cooler or hotter ----whatever than the other. Peltier plates create a freezing cold temp on one side and a super hot heat sink on the other when you run current threw it. A TEG or thermoelectric generator works in the opposite, it uses heat to create Electricty, it's more or less a peltier plate only designed for converting a heat source into dc. Any peltier plate can do the same but not as well. All you need is a fan and a TEG. No fancy wiring or adding resistors to get the correct voltage. Just a 5 volt or 9volt fan. You will have a hard time finding a fan that won't work. So just pick a TEG that fits in the area you have.

Most brushless sytems run around ,,,,regardless what your friend says 140 to 150 or even hotter in 1/8 scale sytems so I'll use that as the standard for the design. A good 40mm x40 mm plate with a heat sink will make up to (less in the real world) 16 volts at 150 to 180 degrees. Most fans run from 5volts to 9 volts for cooling fans. Thus 9v volts will be had easily on most stock set up or faster after market systems. The problem is the unit will eventually heat up all to one temp thus reducing the power. That said it might not be one in this application at all , since most people have run times well under a hour:) So using the heat from your esc or motor will give you a free source of power for fans/ and lights. Remember as the system runs its helping itself work by cooling Its own heatsink. If your going to try this your self stick with a American made TEG as people say the cheap ones last a few times and the good ones have 300,000 hour ratings! Watch some videos of them on you tube. Brushless motors are a perfect application to power fans and lights.

Some one on rc tech wanted to try the opposite with a peltier plate and running power into it to cool a motor.he got flamed and told its not going to work. It could work but you would need a 12volt battey with a high amp hour and you would have a super hot heat sink to cool more weight than its worth and you actually create more heat on the hot side heat sink.yet it would work.

I don't think a thermoelectric generator hooked up to a peltier plate would provide enough amps for it to work, but people are experimenting with it. A TEG connected to a engine exhaust pipe would give you enough power combined with voltage builder to recharge your rx battery or a extra on board receiver pack hooked up to nothing, not very usefull but hey its free energy. I know most people are still trying to a working motor esc combo going but for those of you who have. Lets move on to the next level. Feel free to give me ideas on ways to mount/ make the whole thing look nice. Maybe adapt the large castle cc blower with TEGs for a simple good looking set up. I'll have a working prototype and pics to show in a few weeks.

Selling these on a large scale depending on your luck could or would land you in court as people have pantents claiming rights to just about any idea one could think of. Basically every company selling one attached to a fan might take a look at you. That said they cost 20 to 40 bucks for ones that could be used in rc cars. Don't buy the cheaper ones as they work only a few times then by a Mystery just suck. Buy a American made one, some will last 300,000 hours under normal conditions! Go for ones with a lower max temp so they will give you a workable voltage at a lower temp. Also this is one of the areas America is kicking ass in manufacturing and quality. Why not support a emerging (although old) tech field in the US when they are making such nice product with so many possible applications in our hobby.

Hey don't go giving this idea on the other forums just yet. One guy a rc tech wanted to use a peltier plate and a second battery to cool his motor and everyone ripped on him hard.no imagination... His idea would work to cool down the motor only when needed with a temp sensor, and a big battery.

This set up is far more realistic and easier, but it won't give you ability to create frost like a peltier. Let's be the first to test and run thermoelectric heat sink fans on our cars. Then after some one has something that looks nice and tested then let the none redcat owners in. My projects allways look like they were assembled by a brain damaged blind monkey. So maybe some else can cobble one up that looks nice. The idea is not to fix a bad system running super hot, rather help a system already within temps to run cooler with some other wise wasted energy.

DUFFY

Thx I'll get it going soon, I just tested my fan unregulated from a 9 volt Dc source ( a battery) the fan was cranking real fast, fadter than of a bec thats for sure,that's a good since I will be around that voltage, maybe less but it will be more than enough.

DUFFY

It just might fit under the 5692, I'm guessing it won't but it's pretty thin. If not I'll just rig a ugly crude motor heat sink out of sheet metal.

DUFFY

Im hoping 7075rc makes a heat sink as I just found the castle blower is plastic!-from this forum- Good thing i did not buy it. I guess I'm going to bend a strip of sheet metal around the motor then just use a pipe clamp to hold it tight. It won't look good :( It better than my fan set up now.

Kaz the Minotaur

My son and I used a Peltier cooler as his science project. I bought a heat sink from ebay, a high power computer one with the brass tubes. It worked well but seemed delicate. If you don't have the heat sink right it will overheat.

bigfol

If you could mount the esc over the top of the motor, with the Peltier plate between both the heat from the motor would cause the esc side of the plate to be cool,thus cooling the underside of the esc at the same time as creating power to run a fan to cool esc from the top, but how do you cool the motor as well without taking away the heat required to generate the power in the first place........The mind boggles!!!.Clear as mud????? LOL

I could see this idea working really well with a brushless set up in a RC boat.

DUFFY

Thanks for the ideas, and info. I was thinking about just adding a computer heat sink to the cold side of a TEG. I think the fans are more delicate than the TEGs I imagine. We will see I'll start by using one of the better ones I can find then try some odd ball ideas with some cheap ones. Using 2 might be a good idea with a fan, the peltier plate needs current to reduce the temperature on the cold side. If we heat one side we get a current but not a drop in temp on the other side unless we power it. Adding 3 or more TEGs to charge a battery or some thing to power a TEC might work.

Adding a TEC like suggested is interesting. A life battery would be better suited to power it, Than a lipo right? It would not run very long but attached to a temp on off switch or timer might work, if it was used to cool a esc it will have a ez task. It is,risky as the hot side would get way hot and would need a huge heat sink. If any one finds a heat sink that fits a 56-57 mm motor let me know.

Adding a heat sink to a TEG with a fan will work untill the motor temp drops below what ever temp, that's fine as it has done it job then.

Last edited by a moderator:

krashkrieg

Contributor
That is a really cool idea....I think that would work pretty well with a smooth can motor. I would think you could even double up on the strips of can for more heat dissipation.

G

I don't think I would have the patience. LOL

Good idea though...

DUFFY

Yeh looks like a pain for sure. I might try and find a machine shop. Heat pipes are better than fins I guess? Perhaps some sort of steam punk looking contraption consisting of small tubes of copper braised or some how affixed to aluminum tape would be a option.

G

I was talking with Ol' fart from 7075RC and he had a cool idea. Not the most practical but extremely effective. He said a person could make a box around or above the motor and fill it with dry ice pellets. When they melt they only evaporate. A pain to bring one more thing with you to the track or favorite bashing spot, but it would keep any motor cool.

G

More like a mini freezer! LOL

DUFFY

Yeh it would work. Might be kinda hard to get dry ice for some people. That would be really cold though hehe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts