• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Ran my XB-E and love the car but performance sucks

varga1974

I just got my XB-E and I have to say im impressed with the car itself at this point but the brushless system is sub par. I had a HPI Baja that I converted over to brushless and on 6S it was stupid fast. For the setup I was running a Mamba Monster and a Castle 1717 motor.

I ran my XB-E with stock batteries and I'm wondering it they designed this system to duplicate the gas performance. I just upgraded my batteries to 40C discharge and 5000mah and turned the throttle punch as well as the timing up alittle and gained very slight improvment in performance. The top speed im finding on this car is around 38mph on 6s and actually is really poor for how light this vechicle is.

I then took the stock radio out and replaced it with a Spectrum DX3S and on the controller I adjusted the throttle response. This really helped with the throttle and acceleration but still doesn't impress me. I took the motor out of the car and all I have to say is this motor has the weakest magnets I have ever felt in my life. I think the biggest issue in this setup is not the speed controller but this motor is just too weak for something this size.

I have now decided to put in another Castle 1717 motor which is a 1500 KV motor which I was running in my baja. This motor on 6s would push the baja to speeds of 55+ with wheelies on command. I will keep everyone imformed on how this goes and will get video once I get everything working.

varga1974

The mamba monster speed controls are about 160.00 or so... the Castle 1717 motors are about 70.00 right now... The prices recently came down because the Mamba Monster XL esc and Castle XL motors just came out.

csp1971

Contributor
I would be curious to see how well the Mamba Monster and the 1717 perform. I'm looking forward to the video. I have the MM and the 2200kv Castle motor in a Losi Aftershock (maybe 13 pounds) and the power on a 6s is insane. I've never had it at full speed because it gets too far away too quick. I was contemplating selling it, but if they would work well in a 19 pound 1/5 scale, I may keep it and convert the gas XB over sometime to the XB-E if that's possible. If not, I'll wait for a used one to pop up.

70 bucks for that 1717 is a helluva deal.

fastlane

Team Driver
very disappointing. But that is a low budget esc motor combo. If you use a Mamba xl on 8s parts may start flying. I wanted to build one but I hate buying something and then having to invest thousands and still not be satisfied. Budget radio is one thing but under powered motor/esc sucks.

auto2

just sell the esc/motor and consider that a discount twords the good stuff:). the questions is will the dogbones and cups hold up ?

csp1971

Contributor
Does the XBe come with a Hobbywing ezrun 150a? If so, that esc has some pretty good reviews. Some people swear by them after owning a Mamba Monster. At the time I was converting my 1/8th to brushless, I couldn't find one but at HobbyKing but I wanted one quick so I went with the Mamba Monster.

Obeast44

Banned
Im curious to see what the innards of the motor looks like and who makes it. I am sure a more powerful motor can be found relatively easy. The ESC, IMO is comparable to the Mamba.

How were the temps after a full run?

angryrecords

Well before you jump the gun you can always research the item your buying. An awesome thing about Redcat that you don't find with a lot of other brands is they share the prototype videos etc,. etc,. I agree with auto2, if your not happy with the motor and esc, sell it and put the one in that you want. You have to realize that your getting a buggy that's 4wd and your not paying over $1000 for it. Of course some upgrades will make it rock and perform better. That is on you though. Redcat is just selling a rtr to you to get you going.

varga1974

don't get me wrong.. I'm not unhappy with the product in any way. I'm just telling everyone if you expect the performance you see in 1/8 scale brushless trucks or buggies you will be dissappointed. I am going to stay with the ezrun speed control.. I am just going to upgrade the motor to a castle 1717 and see what that brings.

csp1971

Contributor
varga1974 said:
don't get me wrong.. I'm not unhappy with the product in any way. I'm just telling everyone if you expect the performance you see in 1/8 scale brushless trucks or buggies you will be dissappointed. I am going to stay with the ezrun speed control.. I am just going to upgrade the motor to a castle 1717 and see what that brings.
I'm looking forward to the video.

I honestly would not want the insane speeds that I have with my brushless 1/8th. It gets to be the point of no fun when the speed is uncontrollable.

daroncharles

csp1971 said:
I'm looking forward to the video.
I honestly would not want the insane speeds that I have with my brushless 1/8th. It gets to be the point of no fun when the speed is uncontrollable.
i agree....

varga1974

I got the Castle 1717 in the car now and all I have to say is this is the absolute biggest motor that will fit in this car without modifying the chassis. There is a huge difference between the motors and I will try to get some videos up tonight..

cenmatrixsc

How is performance, I ordered one yesterday. Are you running stock esc or did you swap that out too?

varga1974

Alright everyone... I got my castle 1717 in now with the stock esc that comes in the buggy. I just got done running it and this thing REALLY moves now. I would say it now runs 45-50 mph and the power is insane. I have to feather the throttle up to about 30 mph or this buggy is going sideways. I will try to get some videos up tomorrow morning due to I have to finish the install (shorten and zip tie the wires.. plus change my steering servo due to it didn't like my Spectrum radio so it took a crap.

I will get some pictures up tonight of it finished....

csp1971

Contributor
varga1974 said:
Alright everyone... I got my castle 1717 in now with the stock esc that comes in the buggy. I just got done running it and this thing REALLY moves now. I would say it now runs 45-50 mph and the power is insane. I have to feather the throttle up to about 30 mph or this buggy is going sideways. I will try to get some videos up tomorrow morning due to I have to finish the install (shorten and zip tie the wires.. plus change my steering servo due to it didn't like my Spectrum radio so it took a crap.
I will get some pictures up tonight of it finished....
That is awesome! Looking forward to the pics and vid.

cenmatrixsc

Do you have an update on performance. I have the 1717 motor just have not installed it yet. I want to do teh makeover all at once(servo, etc).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts