• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage XBE - close to purchase still some questions

kwidelski

Hi guys, hope this finds you well. I'm close to purchasing the Redcat Xbe and plunging into 5th scale electric. I exchanged a few emails with Rob at Rampage Shop and I'm very impressed with his service and webpage. I'm just about won over. I would like to see if a few of these questions can be answered on this forum.

I'm looking just for something to knock around with. Couple speed runs, take to a field, run a loose dirt/gravel parking lot, grass etc. I now live in Northern VA and no longer have a house with garage so have to do away with gassers for sure. I think redcat has good support for this.

A) would the stock redcat with 6s work just fine for what I will do?

If so would all I need to upgrade is the wheel bearings and hubs? Lipos?

B) http://kershawdesigns.com/Rampage8S.htm

If I went with something like this would further upgrades need to be made?

Any help is much appreciated.

Ken W

G

A) It is plenty for most of my customers. It just really boils down to how fast do you want to go. Stock will get you around 40mph. I would strongly recommend the 7075RC bearing holders. They take larger bearings. Upgrading to 6s packs and running them parallel will get you 20-30 minutes of runtime. I like the Turnigy Nanotechs. The stock tires are not very good actually the foams break down in a couple weeks. You will want to pick up a set of wheel adapters either the RAMTechs or 7075RC versions. Both are great! This will allow you to run all the wheels and tires made for the Baja.

B) Yes you will be wanting a upgraded driveline. FLM makes some nice ones.

I'm not sure why your seller could not point you in the right direction. You can find all the info you need here....

Kaz the Minotaur

I agree that it is all just a matter of how much power you want. Maybe just try it stock for a while.

I am running mine with the Kershaw Designs conversion on 12S. It is stupid powerful. The first thing to go on me was the stock wheel hexes. I have some Baja wheels on the way.

kwidelski

Wow can this platform truly handle 12s?

If I did the kershaw designs leopard/castle install with motor mount plus did all recommended upgrades... 7075 hubs, bearings, driveline from flm, baja wheel adapters, better wheels, etc will I then have a long lasting machine... Barring I don't run into a house?

Kaz the Minotaur

I think it can handle 12S. The stock "hexes" are "squares with rounded corners". I would say that it isn't out of the realm of possibility for them to fail when you throw 3 times the power, of the stock set up, at them.

G

Kaz the Minotaur said:
I think it can handle 12S. The stock "hexes" are "squares with rounded corners". I would say that it isn't out of the realm of possibility for them to fail when you throw 3 times the power, of the stock set up, at them.
I really don't think an owner with the budget to run a nice 12s setup would still be running stock tires anyway... ;)

Baja adapters is one of the first upgrades most Cat owners do. :)

G

The only problems I ever hear about is an esc that is up to the task. Lots of 12s failures out there. 10s seems to be a bit more reliable.

Ol' fart

My 2 cents, If you just want to "bash around" 12c is way too much. Get to know the car first. "stupid fast" is an understatement. You really need a lot of experience to handle 12c.

G

Ol said:
My 2 cents, If you just want to "bash around" 12c is way too much. Get to know the car first. "stupid fast" is an understatement. You really need a lot of experience to handle 12c.
Completely agree....

That would be an extreme speed run setup.

MostToysWins

G

They are stronger. The 6 vs 10mm is only the thread and wheel nut size. I believe the FLM only comes in the 6mm size

Knuckles

Ok, I missed this post. Being an electric guy let me chime in. I have all the upgrades on my xbe truck build. Ran 12s and found it is completley unreliable, more money wasted then anything. (trust me) I had the kershaw setup in mine before I knew about 7075rc. All of his products are top notch, recommend them all, Kershaws setup works but 7075 is more factory looking. Rob at the Rampageshop.com is great, have been dealing with him for years. I like his site, everything is easy to find.

FLM driveline parts are good. yes they make 10mm and 6mm ends have them both. The only problem I had were the rear drive cups cracked. But were replaced, now I put orings or earplugs in to center dogbones.

I have found the castle creations xl2 the most reliable with 8s.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.