• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage XB concerns!!!

kmak

Hello, I am having a few issues/questions that I am trying to solve for my new Rampage XB. Some of the questions I have already asked and have received very good answers; however instead of asking them one thread at a time, I am just going to post them below and ask you kindly to help where possible.

I am breaking in my Rampage, but the gas I think is running too rich. The gas is coming out the muffler all over the place. The book said I should expect it, but I think there is just too much. Please advise if this should be a concern.

Should the primer bulb be filled up with gas? Or air should be in the bulb. My primer bulb is filled with gas to capacity.

My engine will only start with the choke lever set to full open. If I close it the engine will never start. Is it that the engine can only start with the choke wide open? Because to my knowledge that’s not how 2 cycle engines, I thought the choke was to assist with starting, then afterwards you set it back to normal position.

Please help if possible with the above questions.

Deluge

Yeah, you're running a bit rich. That'll get better when you start to lean it out. The only thing you need to worry about when running rich is fouling a spark plug.

The primer bulb should be full. So that's fine.

These engines won't start with the choke closed. It'll attempt to fire, and that's when you open the choke. So that's normal.

kmak

Oka thank you so much for answering. Okay your explanation is very clear; however when you say "that will get better when you start to lean it out". What exactly does that mean? Lean it out.

G

Once you have broken in the engine you can tune it for better performance. You will get better performance when you run a little leaner. Better throttle response and higher revving. Just be careful not to go too lean as its easy to seize the engine. The little 2 strokes start to really wake up after about the 5th tank.

Deluge

kmak said:
Oka thank you so much for answering. Okay your explanation is very clear; however when you say "that will get better when you start to lean it out". What exactly does that mean? Lean it out.
Your engine is at factory settings, right now. So it's running rich. Once you start to tune the engine for performance, you'll be limiting the amount of fuel that's getting into the engine so it won't spit and sputter all over the place. In order to accomplish that, you need to lean it out. Basically using the carb needles to restrict fuel flow, little by little until you get the perfect balance of performance and lubrication.

kmak

Thank you for you kind responses

andyken

Also as you lean the low end, the idle will rise up, then back off the idle screw.

Make sure the trim/linkage is closing the carb at neutral, or when braking it will drop rpms.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts