• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage TT and MT

kwidelski

Hello my name is Ken and I live in New Mexico. I have been researching 1/5th scale for a few weeks now and am interested in getting into the hobby. I fly model airplanes and have been involved with rc trucks since the early 90's. My most advanced rc is the revo 3.3 1/10th scale but it is much of a hassle tuning engines and cleaning. Plus the parts can be flimsy and break easily.

I notice the prices for 1/5th scale are drastically higher but do see that Redcat is substantially lower than all the rest. I have called hobby stores and asked about Redcat and honestly most tell me to stay away from it or that it is unreliable and you get what you pay for. Is that really true? I'm coming to you here to find this out. I saw the TT review by Squirrel which makes it look very durable. I will not race but would like the simplicity of gasoline powered engine. I want something very durable, not easily breakable and will last. Strong a-arms, good shocks, solid performance and little maintenance. No hobby store in NM sells Redcat so I would need part support and help.

Is Redcat dependable, reliable and tough or are the hobby stores correct. I really am not interested in hop-ups or upgrades. And TT or MT... which is better? When will the V3's be out?

Thanks ,

Ken W

hamster huey

Ive had 2 HPI and 3 Redcat gassers so far. I enjoy driving the redcat more. I can put my redcat up against the others all day and prove its the same or more reliable. I don't abuse my redcat, I drive it within reason. I did a few preventatove hopups out of the box but after that all I do is average maintenance. If your not afraid to work on it yourself, your knowledgeable about RC, and you expect to have an initial investment around $700 you should be fine. There are a few morons around who don't know what theyre doing so they constantly break things- those are the people you don't want to listen to. Find some people who have good things to say about them and find out what theyre doing right. These are decent trucks.

fat49f1

Contributor
kwidelski said:
what do you mean? I just asked some simple questions.
Nothing towards you, we mean why would you ask a hobbyshop that doesn't deal with redcat about redcat. You are doing the right thing now checking with the owners.

Right out of the box,just like any other there are some things you would need to upgrade, it doesn't take alot to make it near bulletproof. But it is big and heavy and yes it will break,for the money its the most fun you can have without laughing.I wouldnt trade mine for anything.

kwidelski

How much money would it take to make an MT and a TT near bulletproof? What kind of upgrades are we talking about?

hamster huey

To answer some of your ?s:

1. The revo is a 1/8 scale built with flimsy 1/10 scale parts. Yes nitro can be difficult. So if you want to know how 1/5 compares, the parts are beefy and up to the task, the engine is more or less set it and forget it. Once you have it tuned you leave the needles alone. They start usually on 2-4 pulls. Gasoline and oil mix is cheap. There is no afterun maintenance. Spark plugs last a long time, you don't need a seperate starter or seperate batteries.

2. Those other cars only seem like more $ because they come with preinstalled hopups. The battery, exhaust, throttle servo, steering servo and air filter are preinstalled hopups on the "other" cars that you have no choice over and those "other" cars charge you for them out of the box. Redcat comes with basic muffler, basic battery, basic servos and basic airfilter. Thats better because you can decide what hopups you want. Comparing apples to apples if you put the same servos, battery, exhaust, and airfilter on the redcat as the "other" car the prices would be alot closer.

3. The TT and MT are basically the same vehicles with different tires, body, and gear ratios. To say one is better would be a matter of opinion. Do you like monster trucks or buggies? Buggies are faster but truck can go over more terrain. Buggies are more responsive to performance hopups because they weigh less and have less rotating mass. I believe that the biggies have less wear and tear on the drivetrain for those 2 reaons also.

4. Durability: The new 5mm shocks are pretty tough and if you should somehow break a part of it Rampagehopups sells the parts cheap. The arms are very strong too. I havent heard of anyone breaking one or wearing one out.

5. Maintenece is easy. I clean my airfilter about every 3 tanks and completly tear it apart once a year. I replace bearings once a year as preventative. I wear gears out about 2 times a year (easy to replace), I cycle the battery once a week, blow it off with air once a month, other than that unless I do something stupid thats about it. When I fell like running it, its like this: charge battery, fill with fuel, pull it 3 times, drive, turn off, put away. No needle tuning or after run required for me.

kwidelski

All,

Would purchasing the Rampage Pro solve any of the issues right out of the box or would it be better to go with the MT or TT standard?

kwidelski

Hamster Huey, that is the best response I have gotten out of any forum!! I appreciate your response. That all makes sense!! Does the Rampage PRo come with the hop up options right out of the box? If not, what kind of battery, steering servos, exhaust and servos and radio would you recommend? THis would give me a good idea. AND you are exactly correct about that Revo. They advertise this stuff as bulletproof and then you take it home and its the opposite. Definitely fast and handles well but drive shaft sheared off, broke at least 3 arms, axials suspension parts etc. What a pain!! Every little weather change and you are tuning the engine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.