• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage in the snow

Heavy Chevy

Howdy all,

So I didn't find a specific thread about the rampage in the snow and what works best so I've started this one.

I've been playing around with some different approaches to the MT in the snow.

First, I want to state that here in the Yukon, for the most part, the snow is light and fluffy. Lately we've had some heavier snow, packing snow if you will. Your area and climate will decided what kind of snow you have. The heavier snow really sticks to the Rampage after a good 10 min run time, it just cakes all over it. Eventually I had my shocks freeze up which creates an undesirable effect.

Until yesterday I would have said that to date, the most fun I've had is on a snow surface that has been plowed and packed down so that it's nice and sleek; but, something happened last night. My exaust pipe slipped off and once that happened, I was flying through the snow! I want to be clear in saying that I'm running a stock MT with the crappy stock pipe at this point in time. I find that you don't really max your speed out in the snow so the fact that the exaust pipe being off makes the MT's response time and acceleration much, much better in snow is a win win situation.

I've also attached zip-strips or tie-wraps to my MT wheels as 'chains', I'm not really sure if it's really changed much.

I've got some Baja sand paddle wheels en route to me in the Yukon for the snow play so we will see how they go.

I'll try to get some vids up soon.

As for now for stock MTs in the snow, I want to suggest taking your pipe off, worked wonders for me.

Post your pics and links and thoughts of your MT in the snow

:)

Heavy Chevy

I was thinking about a way to keep the snow off the gutts of the rampage. I was thinking that the TT closed body would be a good candidate but I'm wondering something. Could the truck body fit over the TT body of the rampage?

This would be a good way to keep snow out of there. It will add extra weight but I think that's fine for just plowing through snow

Obeast44

Banned
Heavy Chevy said:
I was thinking about a way to keep the snow off the gutts of the rampage. I was thinking that the TT closed body would be a good candidate but I'm wondering something. Could the truck body fit over the TT body of the rampage?
This would be a good way to keep snow out of there. It will add extra weight but I think that's fine for just plowing through snow
Isnt there a 1/8 scale Truggy/SC that uses the buggy body as an inner liner type thing? I will see if I can find it. That should help, but you want to cover the side rails on the chassis too.

firefighter9780

heavy chevy as to my other post i just got a new set of mt tires sent to me and i was going to stud my used set so not a problem about dedicating a set just for ice/snow

Heavy Chevy

^^ Nice! I'd really like to know how it turns out. You should do a little video on youtube and post the link up here on how to do it.

Underdog

Advertiser
Vendor
I hit your guys other thread with this allso. On the baja we run Hostile MX or MXT tires with Kold Kutter scres from Daves. They will hold a screw and in the spring just take the screws out for dirt running. Getting ready to do a few sets for the race team.

krashkrieg

Contributor
Cool, I like the muffled sound from the snow...

Is that an old video or is your date not set?

Heavy Chevy

krashkrieg said:
Cool, I like the muffled sound from the snow...
Is that an old video or is your date not set?
THe date is not set. AFter leaving the keychain cam for a few weeks, the lipo runs down, I don't bother to fix it anymore ;)

Heavy Chevy

racetruck said:
nice vid of your truck i would'nt run it to much without a pipe it can mess up the motor :cool:
Good to know, that's news to me, I'm still new with the 5th scales, thanks :)

firefighter9780

has anyone ever ran dual paddles in the rear i seen some dual wheel adapters for the baja and didnt know if anyone has seen/run then

Heavy Chevy

firefighter9780 said:
has anyone ever ran dual paddles in the rear i seen some dual wheel adapters for the baja and didnt know if anyone has seen/run then
Do you mean 4 paddle tires in the back? That would be something!

Underdog

Advertiser
Vendor
Better have some ponies under your hood to turn them. I've seen a TS motor turn them in the grass and it is definately a chore. Probably a little tuff on the drive train. Definately turn some heads.

firefighter9780

yeah i was talking about 4 in there rear i run a full set all the way around but with the narrow paddles i have and even with having all four the truck doesn't do much better than with the mt tires on it and if i ever stop the truck it likes to dig right in and not go forward. i was jsut wondering if anyone has seen them run at all. i know its off subject but i run mine alot in the summer at the sand dunes so that is why i was wondering

firefighter9780

this is what i was talking about (sorry with a baja) even with duals in the rear they might not even weight as much at the mt tires do

dual.jpg

/monthly_2010_11/dual.jpg.59d6f561c5c6127ab206ed23304f8959.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts