• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Project Viper

cs49230

This is just an opening post of where I can share the documentation of my Redcat Rampage MT build project. I have logged most everything I've done and experienced with my truck.

2 Month review is copied from the log journal of my truck.

Month 3 entry

I purchased the truck based on it's chassis layout and design. With a vision of a monster beast that will withstand the punishment I find myself willing to test. The first time I saw the truck without the body on it I could see my project. I have been a model builder for over 50 years and enjoy creating models from scratch.

Well as of the beginning of August (4 months down and 5 tanks of gas). I started tearing down, photographing, cleaning, massaging, lubing every part of my truck. I have a box full of parts I've gathered over the past 4 months to better protect the parts and add some bling. Axle and shock boots, new air cleaner, a TT wing and some shock tower bracing should round out stage 1. Thanks to Rampage idiot for the great tower bracing idea, only change is put lower chassis connection inside. Would be neat if a turnbuckle could be included for truing adjustments. Crimped nuts inside tubing sketches in mind.

Stage 2 will be a conversion of a Tim Cameron inspired rock racer design and a 32 duece coupe themed roll cage in steel tubing. The stage 1 rebuild is giving me a good opportunity for measurements and drawings.

And as always if I can't screw it down, I can always screw it up!

Last edited by a moderator:

cs49230

Steering ArmsFrom the factory I've noticed considerable play in the steering assembly. I got some new tie rods #50049 and see slop in the new ball joints also. So set up a dial gauge and took some measurements. Worst of the new units was .015" of vertical play. Off the truck I had one measure a good .020" of play. Out of the 8 ends I have I got measurements of .001 to .020 - 1,4,8,10,15,15,15,20. I can swap ends around to get .012 and .011. Still trying to get information on going from plastic ends to metal.

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

DSC00579.jpg

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

DSC00579.jpg

/monthly_2014_08/DSC00581.jpg.5340d26c1e9d8b19d670759a4ef400b3.jpg

/monthly_2014_08/DSC00578.jpg.6f2252e834cf650b3faa3a856d6d0562.jpg

/monthly_2014_08/DSC00579.jpg.52a852fe92324175f94839b08fa4ddec.jpg

REVOlutionary Rampage

Cool, I am also working on a project like this. I am aiming to build my truck into a true monster truck and not a buggy with big tires. It is still in the planning stages though....

cs49230

Steering Servo Saver Assy

Off the factory settings the servo saver was pretty well locked down. By hand I could barely get a hair line crack of lift on the cams. Tension nuts were set at 8mm right and 6mm left measured plate to nut. Of course every joint I've looked at so far from the factory are totally dry friction slides. I hit the cams with a touch of grease (brake caliper grease) lubed the posts and re-assembled with 3mm on both tension nuts. I'll tune them in when it is running then dab the nuts with some green locktite when set.

Front assy complete - axle boots (Hostile), cleaned and lubed.

One of the droop adjuster screws wasn't touching the chassis in the front. All chassis ears for droop adjust have screw dents except the left front.

The boots will make it difficult to get to the screws. But they shouldn't need a lot of adjustment. Once set they should be good till the next tear down.

cs49230

Shock Boots

Made some shock boots from 2.25" inner tube. Fit is nice. Easy to slide the tube over the springs. The tubing over the springs is just tight enough though I think they will drastically change the spring rate. Think I'll get some cloth boots on the shopping list. But will leave on for now to see what happens while running. They probably will come off after the first run though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online