• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Phatdad Replacement shock shafts C-clip mod

Gas Jocky

I just bought the front and rear phatdad replacement shafts for two trucks, they came with c clips and lasted about 5 mins on both trucks, did I receive an old version? I put the phatdads on my 5b and and that fixed it so I assumed these would fix the Rampage.

Any solutions or exchanges or refunds?

RampageHopUps

Vancouver Hobbies is finding the c-clips on the replacement shafts aren't holding up to the weight. You can either grind down the c-clip area, and put a washer over it. Or send me them back, and I can do it for you on my lathe.

Gas Jocky

Thanks Rob, Do you have any close up pics of the final mod, I might try it myself if it can be done with a dremmel.

RampageHopUps

Here is what you need to do to get rid of the c-clip on the less costly replacement shock shafts. This mod had already been done on the Phatdad BajaRampage replacement kit.

PhatFix1.JPG

For garage shop guys:

1) put a hand drill into a vise and get it solidly clamped.

2) chuck up the bottom end of the shock shaft into the drill chuck

3) Spin the shaft in the drill on its fastest setting

4) use a dremel with a cut-off blade to grind the red areas away in the pictures.

The best thing to do is get a washer that is slightly smaller than the treads. Then "thread" the washer onto the end of the shaft, and it will sit right where the old c-clip should have gone.

If anyone wants to send back their shafts to me, I can do this in my lathe very easily.

I will ask Phatdad to do this mod on the next batch of replacement shock shafts as well.

Gas Jocky

Here is another option to fix the c-clip problem, Firstly I'm not saying this will work but I'm going to give it a try. I couldn't do the mod as Rob described as I simply don't have to tools to do so. So this is what I did, install the shaft upside down. This gives you more thread to put a nut on the underside of the piston, and possibly enough thread for the ball end, hopefully it will stay threaded. This is not an ideal situation because now at full droop the nut on the underside of the piston will hammer the shaft retainer. But I have been using large zip ties to limit the droop for a month now and this works very well believe it or not. My thinking on this is if it works great! if not I will try using the stock Rampage piston retainer washer, the one with the oblong hole, file opposing sides of the phatdad shaft and install just like the stock shaft. I'm going to beat on the truck this weekend and see how this works...stay tuned!

Ramphatshafts001.jpg

Ramphatshafts003.jpg

zipties002.jpg

Clubin

Banned
RampageHopUps said:
Here is what you need to do to get rid of the c-clip on the less costly replacement shock shafts. This mod had already been done on the Phatdad BajaRampage replacement kit.
PhatFix1.JPG

For garage shop guys:

1) put a hand drill into a vise and get it solidly clamped.

2) chuck up the bottom end of the shock shaft into the drill chuck

3) Spin the shaft in the drill on its fastest setting

4) use a dremel with a cut-off blade to grind the red areas away in the pictures.

The best thing to do is get a washer that is slightly smaller than the treads. Then "thread" the washer onto the end of the shaft, and it will sit right where the old c-clip should have gone.

If anyone wants to send back their shafts to me, I can do this in my lathe very easily.

I will ask Phatdad to do this mod on the next batch of replacement shock shafts as well.
Rob, the Phatdad shock shafts I just recieved are they going to require this to be done to them? Or have the c-clips been made better. Can I assemble them as they come.

Gas Jocky

I am still using the upside down shaft mod on the rear of my truck, no problems. I filed the fronts and used the stock washer and that's working no problem too. Been 2 months since I posted those pics.

Clubin

Banned
mooman007uk said:
Are you still using the cable ties?
where did you get the flanged nuts

looks like i've lots of tinkering to do christmas and boxing day before i run:D
Yep you sure do, I've been tinkering a bit to. I find it relaxing.

RampageHopUps

Clubin said:
Rob, the Phatdad shock shafts I just recieved are they going to require this to be done to them? Or have the c-clips been made better. Can I assemble them as they come.
These are still from the first batch, we never got around to a second batch. You should probably do the washer mod on the mod shafts.

mooman007uk

Banned
i do too...half the fun of rc is tinkering, I' prefer a kit to an rtr cos I like to see the engineering of innards so to speak, I'll do a total strip down and rebuild to satisfy the hannibal lecter in me:D

just ordered some vertigo 5b rear axle extenders straight from Clayton and 2 more paddles, need the fg adapters now. think i might need a x port for sprints pipe mod have to check on that.

Clubin

Banned
RampageHopUps said:
These are still from the first batch, we never got around to a second batch. You should probably do the washer mod on the mod shafts.
OK, but if I screw them up doing it how does that help me?

If they break after the mod - is there still wty on the shafts?

I just don't want to be worse off after the "upgrade" than I was before it.

jaysyourhandyman

mooman007uk said:
i do too...half the fun of rc is tinkering, I' prefer a kit to an rtr cos I like to see the engineering of innards so to speak, I'll do a total strip down and rebuild to satisfy the hannibal lecter in me:D
just ordered some vertigo 5b rear axle extenders straight from Clayton and 2 more paddles, need the fg adapters now. think i might need a x port for sprints pipe mod have to check on that.
I'll do a total strip down and rebuild to satisfy the hannibal lecter in me:D

your funny, well funny like me...lol:rolleyes:

Gas Jocky

Hey Clubin, I threw caution out the window lol, I did mine with a cutting wheel on a dremel. Came in from the end and sliced a bit at a time cooling it in water so it didn't get too hot. Like I said I've been bashing mine for two months now without incident, no oil leaks no bends or breaks. I'd say go for it or get the Bajarampage kits and sell the shafts if your worried.

Mooman I've only broke one strap tie since Sept, it doesn't look like it would work but it does!

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts