• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Onroad car gears keep melting???

Jester

Hey All!! I got a problem with the gears. It seems like they keep melting?? I replaced the stock 23cc with a 30.5 head kit. So is it to much power?? I have all MCD tallest gears?? I am going to get the aluminum gear carrier to help dissipate the heat. And try and go with all steel gears? With this help or just cover up the problem?? Any help please!!

pipeous

Just like in the beginning of this video? I don't even run the gear cover anymore. My gears melted when the setscrew came loose right behind the d gear. it's red loktited in now

[ame]

[/ame]

Jester

pipeous said:
Just like in the beginning of this video? I don't even run the gear cover anymore. My gears melted when the setscrew came loose right behind the d gear. it's red loktited in now
Those are the 2 gears that got wiped out on mine! Thanks guys. I will check the set screw.

Jester

So I picked up the blue aluminum gear carrier and some steel gears!! So I hope this fixes my problem??? And the exact same thing just happened with my MCD??

pipeous

my gears survived sunday so I am happy. I think the red loktite on that setscrew and having it lined up right has helped. I was drifting around, then got my glitch, pulled the kill switch out, ran for a while, it glitched... finally gave up for fear of a runaway but at least no melted gears this time

krashkrieg

Contributor
Jester said:
I can't wait to see if this fixes my problem?? And actually get to beat on it! LoL!
Jester, I'm guessing you melted the C & D gears...

When you rebuild, start with just the D gear / shaft installed and attach the brake hub and 'crown' pinion.

Leave out the brake disks and plated for now, just see if after you tighten the two grub screws the D gear still spins freely....

Please let us know your findings...Lightning and I are compiling some data with this issue...

pipeous

I red loktited the setscrews near the brake setup and ran a tank and a half before my WOT runaway yesterday... jumped a curb, did a burnout in the grass. other than picking up a pebble in the gears they are fine and the car rolls awesome. the alignment on that 2 pce shaft is super important. and running a 27cc with low gearing I have a ton of torque going on.

going to be needing new tires soon though, can't help drifting the dam thing. I was fighting hard on a tight track for 5ths to stay ahead of a 1/8 nitro. tires rarely stopped spinning lol. I am loving this car. we are having another gtg next sunday and Scott from Vancouver hobbies is coming to join us. mooman should be out too and Bob. it'll be our best turnout of the year. too bad redcat discontinued this car. at least the nitro rc shop still has them.

Jester

Replaced the plastic gear carrier yesterday with the aluminum one and glad I did!!! The plastic one was melted where the bearings go!! And you right about that brake hub!! That thing was all F-ed up!! Had to order another one! Wish it was made out of steel!! I hope to run it this weekend?? And if I am happy I will take off the for sale list! Thanks for your help bud!!

pipeous

I have a couple nutech's (I know wrong forum) and even considered selling my cat and just converting my buggy over to run on road with a body, but it doesn't handle the same. this thing is so easy to drive... I try to make it break loose. all the 2wd's pass me on the straight easy (got my new gears today though so we'll see about that this weekend).

I am keeping this car, and if I get this glitch worked out finally, I will paint up my gtr body

krashkrieg

Contributor
Jester said:
Replaced the plastic gear carrier yesterday with the aluminum one and glad I did!!! The plastic one was melted where the bearings go!! And you right about that brake hub!! That thing was all F-ed up!! Had to order another one! Wish it was made out of steel!! I hope to run it this weekend?? And if I am happy I will take off the for sale list! Thanks for your help bud!!
Your welcome, help and knowledge is what we are all here for...

Don't sell it just yet if the brake hub/ D-shaft is still a little wacked..

Please let me know what your findings are when you get it in and put it together...

Try to install just the AL gear plate and the D shaft with brake hub and pinion installed, tighten the two grub screws and try to spin the D gear...Does it spin freely or does it bind a little bit once every turn? Thanks, this is important info...you will be happy don't worry.

Jester

krashkrieg said:
Your welcome, help and knowledge is what we are all here for...
Don't sell it just yet if the brake hub/ D-shaft is still a little wacked..

Please let me know what your findings are when you get it in and put it together...

Try to install just the AL gear plate and the D shaft with brake hub and pinion installed, tighten the two grub screws and try to spin the D gear...Does it spin freely or does it bind a little bit once every turn? Thanks, this is important info...you will be happy don't worry.
Waiting on the bew brake hub. It was so screwed up that it would bind up every couple of teeth.. I will get some pics up of this crappy brake hub!! It should be steel!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts