• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Oil filled gearcase

chucked

I replaced all the gears in my gearbox last night. I had the idea at work to seal off the gear box and to put oil in it for lubrication to keep the heat down. I sealed it all the way around then drilled a hole in the side to use a traxxas slipper clutch plug to plug it up. I added enough 90 wt silicone shock oil to put just a small amount in the bottom of the case. I figure its not enough to reach the bearings and leak out, but enough to thoroughly lube the gears. Its raining out now though, cant try it till at least tomorrow.

chucked

weird, the silicone oil ate right through my gasket maker, had to pull it all apart, dry it out and try another kind of gasket maker.

NitroBurn

I did the same thing as you with gasket maker to seal the gearcase. I use grease instead of oil. My brother bought this stuff off ebay called gorrila snawt. I have not done much driving since putting it on the gears so I can't say that my gears last longer yet. It is realy sticky and seems that it won't sling off very easy.

I think its only available on ebay so here is a link if you want to check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GORILLA-SNAWT-RC-GREASE-Car-Truck-Helicopter-Airplane_W0QQitemZ170267297335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item170267297335&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

chucked

Ooo the carb is workin great, i did some other things to the motor yesterday and it made a huge difference

chucked

Dunno, i just glued it last night, got work till 2:30 then bunch of stuff to do afterwards, probably wont get to reall run it for at least a few more days

dboozer

high impact grease from mc master carr works well too. Real sticky, made so it doesn't pound out of bearings on heavy equipment. It is green.

chucked

Its holding up now, appears to be sealed decent, but the cover wasn't designed to be 100% sealed, there's pretty good gaps here any there, but that's not a big deal to me, if any gets out I can always add more, oil is cheap enough and I don't even have an ounce in it. We'll see how much longer the gears last.

chucked

Well, got about half a tank through it till I slid into a pipe, busted my gear cover off and broke my C gear. But through the half tank I put through it, the gears still look brand new. I got some pics, but I don't feel like hosting them.

chucked

wanna host them? Ill email them to you. one of my busted gear case, one of the setscrews i put in the gear hub for my B and C gears and one of my custom steering servo horn. O ya it was my B gear not my C gear...

chucked

Only one pic turned out, iphone sucks taking pics.

and a picture of a sweet picture of my buggy from last weekend

mooman007uk

Banned
chucked said:
Well, got about half a tank through it till I slid into a pipe, busted my gear cover off and broke my C gear. But through the half tank I put through it, the gears still look brand new. I got some pics, but I don't feel like hosting them.
glad to see I'm not the only one who runs into things:D I don't think everyone's trying hard enough

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts