• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

OEM "X" Spares to Keep Handy?

mailmanx

I am buying the banded diff cups from 7075RC and will also grab a rear diff housing when they are available soon. However, regarding OEM parts on the "X" rigs, I'd like to buy a few spares ahead of time in case of breakage due to hard driving (or stupid driving). Based on your experience, what parts are best to keep on hand?

designed2survive

I know you said OEM spare parts, but honestly, in my experience, upgrade right away and be done.

So if you don't already have:
  1. 7075rc or recat MT aluminum gear plate (more than essential)
  2. servos (throttle and steering) goes without saying
  3. walbro carb 668 (easy soft smooth) or 990 (peppy, responsive but no choke)
  4. hpi air filter
  5. aluminum rear hubs 7075rc, stock one will split on the bottom (twice in my case).
  6. 7075rc or ramtech X to Baja 5b wheel adapters so you can use all of the wheels/tires available for the Baja 5b when time comes.
I'm sure others will shine in.

mailmanx

Awesome feedback. Thanks! I personally own a new (used) XT-E, so the gear plate and motor related parts don't apply to me. 7075RC is out of stock on a lot of XT items including the rear hubs. Any idea if the Redcat aluminum hubs are any good?

NOTE: The rig that I bought has been previously upgraded with the Kershaw motor mount. It has a Hobbywing Max5 ESC and Leopard 5692 motor. It also has front and rear 7075RC aluminum shock towers. Finally, i t has the 24mm adapters already. The rest is stock.

All other responses welcome.

designed2survive

Awesome feedback. Thanks! I personally own a new (used) XT-E, so the gear plate and motor related parts don't apply to me. 7075RC is out of stock on a lot of XT items including the rear hubs. Any idea if the Redcat aluminum hubs are any good?

NOTE: The rig that I bought has been previously upgraded with the Kershaw motor mount. It has a Hobbywing Max5 ESC and Leopard 5692 motor. It also has front and rear 7075RC aluminum shock towers. Finally, i t has the 24mm adapters already. The rest is stock.

@mailmanx The redcat aluminum rear hub will work just fine! 7075rc'one is just stronger in material and beefier.

Wayne

If 7075 makes the part I would wait for his. I have found his parts to be superior to any other. His aluminum parts are definitely superior to Redcat aluminum parts. He also makes a steering servo setup that is not mandatory but is a great improvement over stock setup. It just depends on how much you want to spend. I have a XB and a XT and have purchased all the parts he makes for both and have been extremely happy with there durability and performance. I also have the Redcat aluminum hubs and wheel carriers, you should wait.

Wayne

7075 are great upgrades, but wow, price tag is horrific.
They're not cheap. I have all his X series parts X2 and have been impressed and happy. You have to decide what you want to spend. I do feel/believe he makes the best upgrades available for the Rampage X series vehicle.

mailmanx

They're not cheap. I have all his X series parts X2 and have been impressed and happy. You have to decide what you want to spend. I do feel/believe he makes the best upgrades available for the Rampage X series vehicle.

I agree that they are expensive. However, it falls in line with "you get what you pay for." As a manufacturing engineer in the aerospace industry, I know the value and strength of properly heat treated and aged 7075 Al Aly. I also understand the strength of machining parts from raw stock vs the cast aluminum parts sold by most OEM suppliers.

The uninformed may exclaim, "Dude! You spent so much on your Rampage parts that you could have simply purchased a Losi MTXL!"

That's true. However, your upgraded Rampage is now probably stronger and faster than the MTXL... Not to mention that people who like to upgrade would soon start spending more money on a stock MTXL! The hemmhoraging has to stop somewhere. That becomes a personal choice. I tend to lean towards the Rampage modified with 7075RC parts as being a better value.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts