• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My rear diff housing theory

DemonRC

Well I added 1 + 1 together and ended up with 2.

One, about a month ago, I did a nasty jump and landed right on my ass. It landed back right side up and when I started off again I heard a clanking sound. Well the rear dogbone was bent and was hitting the bottom of my engine. So common sense will tell you that the rear end flexed causing the dogbone to get jammed between the center tranny diff cup and the rear center diff cup which bent it. Also, my fiberglass reinforcement around my rear diff bearing was cracked off. So that also tells me that the rear end flex jammed the dogbone, bent it, put alot of force on the rear diff cup, and stressed the hell outta the housing.

Two, last weekend I landed on my ass yet again coming off a jump. The car did two to three endo's. I turned the car back over and hit the throttle and was in front wheel drive only. Guess what. The endo's must've locked the rear dogbone again and blew the rear cup straight up out of the diff housing.

On both wrecks I was off throttle when landing so drivetrain shock wasn't the cause. Well, as soon as UPS gets here I'm installing my new diff housing. I made a brace for it which looks like a 1" conduit brace you can buy off the shelf. I'm going to add some epoxy on the diff housing and install the brace. Then I'll drill through the brace into the bottom of the diff housing and put in some 4mm bolts with nuts. After that I'm going to fiberglass the entire area.

alfred e numan

what type of glue

[Yea, the buggy took a hard hit, say- what type of glue are ya gonna use on the diff housing? Epoxy is strong with fiberglass- what about c-a -superglue-fiberglass? Just thinking the superglue might fuse onto the plastic. I posted a crazy idea the other day- Here it is agan- Howbout a flex drive for cars- like what drives the weedeaters we all use- swadged ends, absorb shock, be hard to retrofit on a car for shure, This is very durable on my weedeater- hitting the cyclone fence with the throttle full tap- just flexes and keeps on rippen weeds out of the ground. Just an idea.

DemonRC

Here's the steel band all installed:

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

/monthly_2011_10/IMAG0271.jpg.196a8d78246697875a19d524c2ed297f.jpg

/monthly_2011_10/IMAG0272.jpg.55013d90d8c5d64e31baadd384a0e2de.jpg

G

Looks beefy. Im curious to see if you can break it. Lol

Did you have one of your cages on when this all went down?

G

I think 7075 said that was the next hop-up to be produced:)

Ya might want to contact him may he can give you some specific info.

DemonRC

He might not if the factory is going to fix this soon. Personally, I think we just need a cheap brace to go over it and then bolt it down though the diff.

LightForce

Plastic brace same idea http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=6476 as metal worked for a while 2.5 hours of race abuse instead of 20 min but flexing of the chassis even with multiple Delrin rods supports for cage worn out the housing and screws holding the brace were pull out of the housing. Metal brace prob. better but screws must be drilled thru the chassis with nuts and washers might triple the driving time.Hope.

DemonRC

LightForce said:
Plastic brace same idea http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=6476 as metal worked for a while 2.5 hours of race abuse instead of 20 min but flexing of the chassis even with multiple Delrin rods supports for cage worn out the housing and screws holding the brace were pull out of the housing. Metal brace prob. better but screws must be drilled thru the chassis with nuts and washers might triple the driving time.Hope.
Hey I made a spare. I'll send it to ya if you wanna try it. Just order me a stocker so I can fix it up like this one.I epoxied the ends of the nuts. The bolts might hold better. Also, the bolt holes were undersized. They were tight as hell to going through the plastic. New Brace.jpg

New Brace.jpg

/monthly_2011_10/583c60627ca1d_NewBrace.jpg.9094e6feaed8b8474b236a1ce33e70a6.jpg

DemonRC

Holy crap. That's defintely beefy. Let us know how it holds up. My metal strap is holding good so far. We'll see how it does after another week.

Raily

DemonRC said:
Holy crap. That's defintely beefy. Let us know how it holds up. My metal strap is holding good so far. We'll see how it does after another week.
at the end, I think I found the cure... after several hours of abuse my gear box is holding like a champ

this is responsible for my problems

IMAG0208.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts