• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My first impressions

str8jailbird

OK, well it got here today and after a 12 hour marathon rebuild it's almost ready for break in. My first impressions on the truck was "HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS HUGE!". I started with the engine to install the 28.5 and realized that the Rampage and the LST2 have one big thing in common, crappy screws. I stripped one out that mounts the engine from the bottom of the chassis. I though it would be easier to install the new piston and jug not to mention the kill switch with the engine off of the truck. That idea was a no go. I even tried to easy out the stripped bolt and just said the heck with it and left the engine cover mounted and took the rest if the engine off leaving that still attached. Everything else went pretty smoothly with the exception of the rear buffer pins. Same problem, stripped bolts. So the old ones are on until I figure how to get the darn bolts out. I fabbed the receiver box to display the LED for the kill switch so I wouldn't die trying to start it thinking the switch was on when it wasn't. I also made a notch for the HPI charge plug so the lid didn't have to be removed for charging. I sealed everything that I cut with shoe goo (love that stuff). What the heck kind of oil is in the stock diffs??? That stuff looks and feels just like the case lube I use reloading rifle shells:confused:. I took it outside to see if I had everything hooked up right on the engine (coil gap, kill s, etc.) She fired on the third pull. I couldn't really run it de to the fact it was almost 1AM (no near neighbors). So all that is left now is the break in, the paint job and fine tuning the front end for tow-in and servo settings. This thing looks like a beast. After the new pipe I think a high quality screw kit is my next purchase. All in all I can't wait to tear up the dirt with it!

Clubin

Banned
I haven't had any issues with the screws. One thing you must keep in mind that a quality set of allen wrenches will save you a bunch of headaches.

I was fortunate, there wasn't any loctite on my MT, I loctited everything that needed to be. As fot the stripped screw you can try a couple things if it is the one through the pan, drill it till the head comes off remove the engine remove the spacer that goes between the engine and pan, and grab the threads of the screw with vise grips and remove it. You can also try making a slot in it with a dremel and try loosen it with a common.

Wait till you run it, you will be happier yet.

kryptonite

im glad the marathon was smooth sailing, besides the hardware.. the only problem i had was they used RED loc-tite.. i was cursing like a sailer trying to those bolts out. clubin is right. screws will only strip with poor tooling. even good tools from depot or lowes don't cut it.. i found my faverite allen keys at the hobby shop. cant wait to see it all painted up. but be carefull with that shell. it will crack on a light roll over..

kryptonite

mooman007uk said:
mine cracked when I trimmed it round the front bumper mounts and gear cover...I don't think it'll be long for this world when I actually use it.
ya, i have 2 shells. they are both glued together. and im not a "glue" guy.

str8jailbird

OK, she's broke in! I have to say that the stock pipe really limits the performance on this beast even with the 28.5. I know that this engine has a lot more power to put out but can't breathe yet (c'mon Sprint77! where's that dom! :D ). I can't wait to see what a difference that makes. Anyway, she runs great. Little sluggish compared to the Baja but then again it is 4 wheel drive and 10lbs heavier. I had a small crowd of spectators while I was running it at the local shopping center. This thing is built like a tank, definately the LST2 of 1/5 scale. The CVD's performed great, the brakes on it are unbelievable. I compare those as well to the LST2. As a matter of fact I had to adjust them for less braking because I nailed the brakes and the truck ended up flipping and landing on the rear end. Now I am in the "glued body" club. Shoe goo and fiberglass cloth. Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner than later. I did have one issue though that I can't seem to figure out. The truck turns more to the right than it does to the left. I checked the EPA's, trims and everything else I could think of (running it with the JRXS3). I even recentered the horn and it still seems to be more biased to the right?!?!?!? :confused: . I set for a slight tow in and made sure that everything was lined up correctly. The servo arm is completely vertical at neutral position giving equal throw in both directions. I'm not really concerned, just a little irritated. I am going to recheck the radio settings and the steering linkage again. Here are a few pics of it clean. It will never be this pristine again. I wanted a bright truck, did a little cobalt blue to break it up a bit.

0211091727.jpg

0211091728.jpg

0211091728a.jpg

0211091741.jpg

/monthly_2009_02/0211091727.jpg.92ffb7146544a05f77b9eabae76bb35d.jpg

/monthly_2009_02/0211091728.jpg.3e251f172b5bd41d16d5edfcd9161d05.jpg

/monthly_2009_02/0211091728a.jpg.482d99556e1380395a4cdbb58c73e6d7.jpg

/monthly_2009_02/0211091741.jpg.a76b50bc5d2d66ca7d6b40c53ae4d702.jpg

mooman007uk

Banned
Did you check the sub trim as well and are you running the stock steering servo? I wouldn't trust the stocker at all.

Nice bright paint be able to see it a mile away

hellya

str8jailbird said:
I started with the engine to install the 28.5 and realized that the Rampage and the LST2 have one big thing in common, crappy screws. I stripped one out that mounts the engine from the bottom of the chassis. I though it would be easier to install the new piston and jug not to mention the kill switch with the engine off of the truck. That idea was a no go. I even tried to easy out the stripped bolt and just said the heck with it and left the engine cover mounted and took the rest if the engine off leaving that still attached. Everything else went pretty smoothly with the exception of the rear buffer pins. Same problem, stripped bolts. So the old ones are on until I figure how to get the darn bolts out!
here ya go available at sears too the GRABIT http://www.4grabit.com/Default.asp?gclid=CJzxv9v11ZgCFR0Sagodl2kYdg&bhcp=1

Last edited by a moderator:

str8jailbird

mooman007uk said:
Did you check the sub trim as well and are you running the stock steering servo? I wouldn't trust the stocker at all.
Nice bright paint be able to see it a mile away
Yep, checked the sub trim. I didn't even bother with the stock servos. I'm running the 5745 for steering and the 645mg for throttle and brake.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts