• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Limiter straps? ideas?

topdog802

i know lunatik makes limiter straps for the baja, has anybody done anything for the rampage, any ideas on making a limiter that will last, can the baja straps work in the mt? i think this would be a good idea for the mt with the heavy ass tires.

topdog802

to stop the shock from taking all the force of unloading. example: rampage mt tires are really heavy, if u jump with them u could bend shock shafts, rip them out.... it maybe a cheap fix. i just spent over $1000 on the truck. i gotta save for the phatdad shock kit and hpi rear axel set for lighter wheels.

pipeous

I put a little piece of fuel tubing under the shock piston to limit travel and provide some cushioning

that said, Redcat needs to add outcroppings on the chassis and droop screws in the arms... then we could stop the shocks from banging down. be a simple change

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonite

i have "droop screws" on my on-road. and i don't think that would work. its basicly eating a hole thru my chassis with the set-screw. couldnt imagine what it would do with these big tires.. im going to try to find a small gromit, or large o-ring. couse after looking at it i see what you meen

Sprint 77

Contributor
topdog802 said:
i know lunatik makes limiter straps for the baja, has anybody done anything for the rampage, any ideas on making a limiter that will last, can the baja straps work in the mt? i think this would be a good idea for the mt with the heavy ass tires.
I think someone did a quick fix or temporary fix with tw tiie wraps. search limit , tie wraps , down travel, I believe there was a pic.

topdog802

i have an idea already. i was looking at the lunatik straps. ur a fab guy, is the shock tower strong enough to withstand the downward force if i attach a strap in the extra holes?

kryptonite

you can also try to use a thin cable and secure it with a crimping lug. you would have to be very precise with your measuring though

topdog802

thats what i did. so far it looks and feels like its going to work. i havnt tried it yet. i havnt run the truck since i got it. the steering servo was junk right outa the box...bummer... got a servo on the way. when i got a chance to run it ill tell u how it works. thanks for the help.

Sprint 77

Contributor
topdog802 said:
i have an idea already. i was looking at the lunatik straps. ur a fab guy, is the shock tower strong enough to withstand the downward force if i attach a strap in the extra holes?
The shock tower we hope with no wories since it has to be designed to take it in compresion too. It should take it in tension. I think your better question Is what you attach it to the supension going to have undue stress on it. You need to spread the load or have your mount point in double shear, NO SINGLE SHEAR Tab.

I hope that helps you make a better part. Have fun This should be a project where you can make a nice strap without much tools and equipment. Go to a big hardware store and just browse the drawers and open your mind to all the posibilites. The cable sweged on terminal idesa from above seams logical. Maybe some rubber tubing over it first so it doesn't rub on plastic.

mooman007uk

Banned
I've been working on the strap idea...I don't like the fuel tubing jobbie as it still loads the bottom of the shock, gas jockey has been using cable ties with good results.

On my nitros I used the webbed nylon strapping (same stuff as the full sized straps are made of)which worked real good so am gonna try the same idea...just got to fab up some metal ends and find some1/2-3/4" strapping (where are the kids backpacks), also will make some braces to go between the shock standoffs.....just waiting for some warmth in my shop to get going...

Sprint 77

Contributor
mooman007uk said:
I've been working on the strap idea...I don't like the fuel tubing jobbie as it still loads the bottom of the shock, gas jockey has been using cable ties with good results.
On my nitros I used the webbed nylon strapping (same stuff as the full sized straps are made of)which worked real good so am gonna try the same idea...just got to fab up some metal ends and find some1/2-3/4" strapping (where are the kids backpacks), also will make some braces to go between the shock standoffs.....just waiting for some warmth in my shop to get going...
Way up there in the great white north you might be July on that project LMAO There is no Place like TEXAS " Don't mess with TEXAS"

mooman007uk

Banned
Ha bloody Ha.... :D

not as bad here as rest of Canada...hey clubin:p, Vancouver Island is the Canadian Riviera (supposedly)...usually don't get much white crap and below freezing temps where I'm at.

I know, I'll set up a vice on the dining table:D that'll please the wife

Clubin

Banned
mooman007uk said:
Ha bloody Ha.... :D
not as bad here as rest of Canada...hey clubin:p, Vancouver Island is the Canadian Riviera (supposedly)...usually don't get much white crap and below freezing temps where I'm at.

I know, I'll set up a vice on the dining table:D that'll please the wife
Been damn cold here the last 3 weeks It realy doesn't matter I am booked for a week at the enf of Feb. I'm gone to Mayan Riviera!

Sprint 77

Contributor
topdog802 said:
I got a quick and nice strap idea in my head worked out. I got three pipes to finish today and then I will pit mine together and post some pics.

mooman007uk

Banned
would one of those pipes be mine by any chance ;)

I need the wife to do some stitching for my straps with her sewing machine.. found some great material off some tie downs i have...bought some new ones for my boat cover so have some real tough stuff to try....just gotta make 8 ends out of some stainless I have laying dormant in my shop. Hope to have them by next weekend.

Suns out today...as soon as the frost has gone I'm out to run a couple of tanks...woo hoo

Sprint 77

Contributor
mooman007uk said:
would one of those pipes be mine by any chance ;)
I need the wife to do some stitching for my straps with her sewing machine.. found some great material off some tie downs i have...bought some new ones for my boat cover so have some real tough stuff to try....just gotta make 8 ends out of some stainless I have laying dormant in my shop. Hope to have them by next weekend.

Suns out today...as soon as the frost has gone I'm out to run a couple of tanks...woo hoo
Yours is done Moo I got yours boxed I need to fill out your custom report on yours , They pick about that border paperwork.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts