• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Leopard 1340kv Report

DemonRC

My son just got a few packs through my Leopard tonight while I video'd but the dam phone ended up currupting the video somehow. I'll reshoot it this week with the wife's HD camera. I got some pics of the setup so far and will be adding to it shortly.

What I'm running:

Leopard 5692 1340kv 8mm shaft

Stock ESC

7075RC mount w/ 48T spur

Kershaw Designs 11T pinion

Sky Lipo 3s 5000mah in series

How it ran:

Like a bat outta hell. I was worried that the car would be totally uncontrollable especially with the worn Bowties but that was not the case. The torque was awesome but not out of control if you didn't mash the trigger non stop. Top speed was very nice. I gained at least 10 mph over stock. The top speed was very close to my XB with the 2 speed. The only difference was that that I had 1st speed torque the entire time and was at top speed almost instantly. The 5000mah packs run times were about 9 minutes. That's from continuous full speed across 250 yards of grass field. I'll be upgrading to 6s 5000mah in parallel soon as my wallet stops bitching at me.

Overall, I'm not 100% impressed with the new setup. It's defintely a good setup, don't get me wrong. It's fast as hell and very impressive. The stock setup with good batteries was good too. I was kicking the crap outta HPI's all day during the weekend with the stock setup. I could've stayed stock and been plenty happy. Maybe I being anal and was expecting too much from the Leopard. I dunno, I kinda expected something bonkers like it would rip my car in half and chunk the spur gear 100 yards and decapitate a bird or something. I expected something spectacular but all I got was insane torque and some good speed. Anyways, enough complaining. I'll stick with it and be slaying any gasser coming my way with my Leopard. I'll have to bring Klenex in my toolbox for all the whining I'll be hearing this weekend when all the longrods show up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron E

Contributor
nice... thanks for the report :) gives me something to look forward to when mines done. glad to hear about the power/torque, that's what i was wanting... yet still be driveable and not rip the driveline out of it. looking forward to some video when you get it. enjoy.

G

Sounds awesome. I am curious to see what kind of run time increases you get by running 6s in parallel. I would luv to see some vids of it against some gassers.

Obeast44

Banned
Sounds like you need to gear up bro , if the temps allow it :D

Also factor in, you will have a helluvalot of wheelspin which is wasted power :(

Last edited by a moderator:

killajb

Thanks for the report! I'm gearing to build a second XBE, but want to make a truck out of it using these wheels/tires: http://www.nutechracingusa.com/tireset057581.aspx which are actually larger in diameter than Baja wheels but lighter. I would have to gear down and of course the 7075 RC setup is perfect for that. Thinking that more torque would be needed as well (that big ole leopard would do the trick!). I don't expect XBE #2 to be as fast as my current one. Which goes back to your setup.. If you were expecting more dynamic performance in terms of speed and overall usefullness I'll again suggest the stock esc/gearing with a CC1520. I know.. I know.. I've mentioned this setup for quite sometime. But it really does seem to be right at the limit of this chassis abilities without overstressing the electronics.

DemonRC

RCDAD said:
Sounds awesome. I am curious to see what kind of run time increases you get by running 6s in parallel. I would luv to see some vids of it against some gassers.
Stodedawg is reporting 20 minutes on 6s parallel which is plenty for me. Also, the stock setup was already kicking the crap outta the gassers last weekend. My partner's MCD running a longrod and 2 speed was the only thing that could keep up. Ya they had a few mph over me in the straights but that didn't mean nothing when we come into the turn at the same time and by the time they exit the turn and the engine gets on the pipe I'm down on the other end of the straight. There's no way they're gonna catch me with the Leopard. My top speed now is low to mid 50's which is much faster than any car at my track except the MCD.

DemonRC

Obeast44 said:
Sounds like you need to gear up bro , if the temps allow it :D
I ran at the oval this morning before work. It's alot different when ur pushing low 50's across a field and low50's down an oval straight away. The car is insane fast around the oval.

Also, my temps last night were around 135-140. This was on a warm humid evening with no vents on the body and no heatsink. With a blower and some vents in the body I could prolly run a 12T but I'm not gonna try for more speed. It's plenty fast now that I've run it on a track with the new setup.

DemonRC

killajb said:
Thanks for the report! I'm gearing to build a second XBE, but want to make a truck out of it using these wheels/tires: http://www.nutechracingusa.com/tireset057581.aspx which are actually larger in diameter than Baja wheels but lighter. I would have to gear down and of course the 7075 RC setup is perfect for that. Thinking that more torque would be needed as well (that big ole leopard would do the trick!). I don't expect XBE #2 to be as fast as my current one. Which goes back to your setup.. If you were expecting more dynamic performance in terms of speed and overall usefullness I'll again suggest the stock esc/gearing with a CC1520. I know.. I know.. I've mentioned this setup for quite sometime. But it really does seem to be right at the limit of this chassis abilities without overstressing the electronics.
I'm also eyeballing the black Nutech wheels. No doubt the 1340kv Leopard can push those because my sons was digging ruts half way to China with the bowties.

auto2

i got a few kershaw pinions and they were not hardened. wore out in under a minute. he says they are for boats or planes or something and would not refund any money.

Obeast44

Banned
auto2 said:
i got a few kershaw pinions and they were not hardened. wore out in under a minute. he says they are for boats or planes or something and would not refund any money.
Same here, you can ask Ol'Fart what he thinks of Kershaws pinions. Mine didnt last a single pack :(

DemonRC

He asked me if I wanted the hardened or unhardened pinions and I asked for the hardened. I have my gear cover off because I'm keeping an eye on the pinion to see if it is moving in toward the motor. I haven't noticed any wear yet after 6 or so runs. Worst case I'll take it to 1400 F and quench it in water if it's showing any wear.

strodedawg

DemonRC said:
Stodedawg is reporting 20 minutes on 6s parallel which is plenty for me.
i also had all my setting at low and rarely needed full throttle, slow baja were getting in the way :mad: was taking it easy as not to pop the tekin. They are building a larger track over the winter so it can stretch it legs. can't wait for my fightercat esc to arrive.

DemonRC

strodedawg said:
slow baja were getting in the way :mad:
LMAO, your right on the money there. I've been finding I need better navigation skills or a good front bumper trying to get around all the donut kings in the corner.

Cain

you have any videos of your racing against the other 1/5 scales. Seen lots of XB-E vids, but nothing on a track in actual race conditions. would like to see how it compares handling wise to other vehicles.

Obeast44

Banned
Cain said:
you have any videos of your racing against the other 1/5 scales. Seen lots of XB-E vids, but nothing on a track in actual race conditions. would like to see how it compares handling wise to other vehicles.
Properly setup it has the makings to be one of the best handling 1/5th scales there is. If any video would have made it out of mine running at Powerjam you would've seen. Unfortunately, somehow there is no video of it and very few pics! :confused:

Obeast44

Banned
Cain said:
Most of these vids are from the Ninco E-maxim which is the same car. The reason I posted these vids is you wanted to see it in action vs other cars. Unfortuantely here in the States there isnt alot of hardcore racing, or videos being posted. Check the last vid to see it rape some cars :D These are ALL stock btw! Add a real motor and higher voltage...and it gets even crazier.

Here is a few:

[ame]

[/ame]

G

Nice videos. I'm gonna have to get me one as soon as I can afford it. I can't come to sell one of the others to fund it. I want them all. LOL. I agree the xbe is a great platform.

DemonRC

On a couple of those vids the stock setup looked really fast down the straight. Before I bought the XBE I figured the stock motor was just something untill I get a better setup. It suprised the hell outta me. It has plenty of power but not overpowering the track. Sometimes I want to turn down the Leopard because it can get a little overpowering.

Vision

Do you think the 5692 can be geared up safely to hit 60ish ?. I want to use it for a onroad oval track =).

How is your stock esc holding up ?. Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts