• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Leaning the engine

Kaz the Minotaur

Should I wait until I get a whole tank of fuel through the engine before I start leaning the high and low speed needles?

I ran it around my yard for a while tonight and it seems rich.

RampageHopUps

Better to be rich with these big ones. it will take around 5 tanks to start running strong, so be patient. After the 5 tanks, you will notice a huge difference.

Kaz the Minotaur

That what my grandfather used to say...well the patience part anyway...

:)

I remember from my Nitro days that you always leaned the high end first and then the low. Does that still apply? Idle seems perfect.

I've been running it 10 minutes at a time and letting it cool. Seems like it is opening up a bit more each time I run it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timmahh

no start with the low and then do the high. the low controls all fuel flow for the motor opposed to nitro where the H controls all flow for the motor.

you also don't need to worry so much about temps. but rather plug color and how it sounds.

do the low first. but start by setting the needles to slightly richer than stock settings, about 1 3/4 on the H and 1 3/8ths on the low. start the motor and keep it running, if i have to i ll lean the low just a bit until it will idle without haveing to feather the throatle.

once its idleing, i ll take a few runs, watching to not go past 1/2 throatle for these first few runs. i try to richen it up until its stumbling on itself, then lean it up about 1/12th from there and make a few runs to see how it spools up.

when its spooling up pretty smooth to 1/2ish or so throatle, i set the idle screw to get a good idleing rpm. then take it for some top end runs.

here i ll get it going a bit, then Wot it and see how it goes up to the top rpm. start again by going rich until its stumbling on itself, then lean it up 1/12th, and tweek it from there to good top rpms.

durring the whole process, i ll pull the plug after each run and check the color of the plug under the electrode. your looking for a mediumish brown, about the color of a hersey chocolate bar. carmel brown color is performance tuned, and too tight for most bashers, so shoot for a nice medium to medium darkish brown and you ll be good.

be aware of motor temps, but don't worry about them like you do a nitro. keep it a bit rich and be sure you do good air filter maintenace, and check the cylinder, exhaust, and carb bolts tight, and you ll be fine.

DHERICC

Timmahh said:
no start with the low and then do the high. the low controls all fuel flow for the motor opposed to nitro where the H controls all flow for the motor.
you also don't need to worry so much about temps. but rather plug color and how it sounds.

do the low first. but start by setting the needles to slightly richer than stock settings, about 1 3/4 on the H and 1 3/8ths on the low. start the motor and keep it running, if i have to i ll lean the low just a bit until it will idle without haveing to feather the throatle.

once its idleing, i ll take a few runs, watching to not go past 1/2 throatle for these first few runs. i try to richen it up until its stumbling on itself, then lean it up about 1/12th from there and make a few runs to see how it spools up.

when its spooling up pretty smooth to 1/2ish or so throatle, i set the idle screw to get a good idleing rpm. then take it for some top end runs.

here i ll get it going a bit, then Wot it and see how it goes up to the top rpm. start again by going rich until its stumbling on itself, then lean it up 1/12th, and tweek it from there to good top rpms.

durring the whole process, i ll pull the plug after each run and check the color of the plug under the electrode. your looking for a mediumish brown, about the color of a hersey chocolate bar. carmel brown color is performance tuned, and too tight for most bashers, so shoot for a nice medium to medium darkish brown and you ll be good.

be aware of motor temps, but don't worry about them like you do a nitro. keep it a bit rich and be sure you do good air filter maintenace, and check the cylinder, exhaust, and carb bolts tight, and you ll be fine.[/quote

Whats The Stock Setting For The H AND L.......coz last night i try my rampage mt5 keep on over flowing

Kaz the Minotaur

It was really starting to come on near the end of the 2nd. tank...then my throttle servo took a crap. I have a spare steering servo from my LST2 that I can put it.

Shiny

Timmahh said:

be aware of motor temps, but don't worry about them like you do a nitro. keep it a bit rich and be sure you do good air filter maintenace, and check the cylinder, exhaust, and carb bolts tight, and you ll be fine.

I think heat cycling is the best. Plus the above. Each time you pull the plug let it cool down for 10 minutes, for the first 2 tanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.