• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Keep your air filters clean!

Restomod

I ran my TT last weekend at a local park and had one hell of a time on the clay ball field. Well this weekend I got ready to go play and it would not start. Well checked, had fuel, fire but the engine felt low on compression.

Pulled the air filter and the front of the carb had that red clay in it............ :(

SSSOOOO I removed the engine (new HPI 26cc Fuelie with two tanks on it!!) and it is trashed!

KEEP YOUR AIR FILTERS CLEANED AND VERY WELL OILED, don't learn the hard way like I did.. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

hamster huey

If you werent running the HPI filter get one. Largescalerc.com has very cheap headkits (26cc is $35) from dissassembled eninges under "specials" on the left menu. Sometimes that happens don't let it beat you up. One time my 5B filter unknowingly got real plugged. I had to lean my needles just to get it to run right. When I went a couple hours past safe I knew something was wrong. I didnt hurt the engine because I stopped running it but it got me looking so I found the most plugged filter I have ever seen.

Restomod

Yep Evil shes done........

Already ordered a new one.

Have a UNI two stage but I don't think I had enough oil on it.

Hamster, a whole new engine is just as cheap.....$99.00 new pull out no carb no clutch.

scaremonger

nanoali said:
ph my... scaremongere were you using an on road air filter?
yeah i was. i know i know. dumb. but i inserted a foam piece from the stock filter for the mean time. must wait for funds to get the filter everyone recomends.

hamster huey

Ive seen complete CYs with clutch, muffler, and carb new and used for $80-120. If just a headkit is needed though thats still the cheapest.

flint mann

Speeddreemin said:
What type of oil is best to use for prefilters? Regular motor oil?
There are specifically designed air filter oils they are real sticky to trap the dirt. You can get them from your lhs auto parts store or one of the on line dealers like DDM.

hamster huey

I run a HPI 5b/5t filter setup. With that one the prefilter does not get oiled, only the inner main filter. I also run a outerwear pre filter so I really have a 3 stage filter. I use blue HPI filter oil and red traxxas filter oil. They both work well.

rc-driver

i used pj1 oil for the inner filter and put on two prefilter covers.

Speeddreemin

I bought the high flow chrome cone filters from python and one of those colored filter socks from Outerwear. You're not suppose to oil the sock, right? Just a prefilter that goes over the main filter?

jigawatt

K&N filters are garbage for anything but street.

Foam air filters are the only way to go. You'll need a "foam air filter oil". The stuff gets extremely tacky, which is what you want. Do NOT use K&N filter oil, that's for the K&N gauze filters, not foam. You can pick foam air filter oil up at any power sports store.

One thing to keep in mind when it comes time to clean them, NEVER use gasoline. All that does is eat away at the filter. Either use a foam air filter cleaner solution from the store OR use soap and water.

lightning73

I used to have 2 stroke dirt bikes, and would always use PJ1 air filter oil, and air filter cleaner, the filter oil gets very tacky after being exposed to air for a few mins, its good stuff!...I have a question related to this topic, i have the stock air filter assembly on the MT with the two filter sponges, are both filters supposed to be oiled or just the inner one?, and if too much filter oil is used will it starve the airflow to the carb?

krashkrieg

Contributor
lightning73 said:
I used to have 2 stroke dirt bikes, and would always use PJ1 air filter oil, and air filter cleaner, the filter oil gets very tacky after being exposed to air for a few mins, its good stuff!...I have a question related to this topic, i have the stock air filter assembly on the MT with the two filter sponges, are both filters supposed to be oiled or just the inner one?, and if too much filter oil is used will it starve the airflow to the carb?
I would oil both and start saving the $20 for the HPI setup (and 40 for the angled stack if you don't want to cross your servo linkages). I don't think the tackiness matters with the stock cause it appears to have larger holes in the sponge than the HPI (or other 1/8 nitro type filters)

Many other posts says the stock is so crappy that you should never go near dirt with it. Look at scaremongers posted pic on page one in this thread of a mud like substance just gooed up in the carb..

I believe you have too much oil if you think there is a chance of it getting sucked in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts