• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Inexpensive Boat Tuned Pipes!

hamster huey

There are boat pipes on ebay for 23cc and up engines starting as low as $15! Silicone and hose clamps can be used for joints. Some come with a header and stingers/tubing. Hangers can be made from lots of stuff like coat hangers wrapped with fuel tubing or even muffler hangers from full sized cars or a thick metal rod. You can ask the seller about size before buying. The only questions I have is are they tuned for high, low, mid, or all around performace and how well will they work on MONSTER BIG TRUCK? I have an Xcan now but it seems to lack power compared to a tuned pipe. The reason I run a Xcan is because it is completely protected under the body. If boat pipes have good power they might be able to be mounted in an area that is protected or on the other hand certain ones are cheap to replace so it would not be that much of an issue if they took a few hits. What do you guys think?

kryptonite

i think boat pipes are tuned diffrently. they are mostly all top end , so they have narrow chambers. at those prices it may be worth trying out, but i wouldnt expect a miracle from them. im running an X-can on my mt and its a dog for sure. my 23cc tt with a side dom would do laps around my mt with a 28.5 and an X-can.

Sprint 77

Contributor
Most boat pipes are tuned for all top end. In general your low to mid range comes from the mid band length between the diffuser and the reflector cones in the pipe. If you cut these pipes and add to this area they will start to work well on the truck compared to the stock can and x can.

When you add to the mid band the header may need to be shortened . A 23cc motor will have a total exhaust length of 11-13 inches.

Have fun and take some notes for the rest of those needing to experiment

DemonRC

I've already tried this with my buddiy's boat pipes on the Baja. They seem to really drag ass on the low end. I would say it's equivelent to running a stock can on the low end. High end was pretty decent though. I don't remember what pipes we used. He had 3 of them. I know they coudn't have been cheap garbage either. I rolled the Baja and scratched one up and he complained all day long how he JUST bought that pipe and it cost him $150... blah blah blah. I told that mofo to send me a dam bill :D .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts