• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

I wasn't careful and was running it on the streets!!

ChuenouXiao

Although I am usually cautious, I've accidentally side swiped my XB into a curb right when I tried to break while turning to dodge the curb. Most of the damage was absorbed by my right rear tire. I cracked my right rear wheel's axle cup and the outdrive cup. Here are the picture below. Please help me confirm the correct part number for both of these cups from Rob's website listed below.

http://www.rampagexbe.com/gears--drivetrain1.html

Please tell me, what is the easiest way to replace the out drive cup? Which is the one that is coming out from the right rear differential assembly. Do I have to open up the differential assembly just to take out the right rear out drive cup? Please help me people, the easiest and efficient way to take it apart. I want to minimize taking apart things unless its truly required.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChuenouXiao

Are my identification above correct?

Are the part # above correct? Did I use the proper term? I don't want to waste money and order the wrong parts and having to wait longer too. Please help me.

rcgasser

Please tell me, what is the easiest way to replace the out drive cup, which is the one that is coming out from the right rear differential assembly. Do I have to open up the differential assembly just to take out the right rear out drive cup? Please help me people, the easiest and efficient way to take it apart. I want to minimize taking apart things unless its truly required.

You have all the right parts number and yes you have to take the diff apart to put the new cup in!!!!!!!!!

ChuenouXiao

I assumed that I don't really have to take the gears apart inside the differential box because once I take the four screws that holds the differential onto the chassis; I should be able to simply take out the out drive cup? Is there something I should be aware of before opening the differential? Any heads up? Anything special?

fluxn81

I think it's a little more complicated.

rcgasser

chuefengxiong said:
I assumed that I don't really have to take the gears apart inside the differential box because once I take the four screws that holds the differential onto the chassis; I should be able to simply take out the out drive cup? Is there something I should be aware of before opening the differential? Any heads up? Anything special?
no you will have to open up the diff it self and it depends on which side you broke if the bottom dif cup broke then you will have to remove the gears to get to the cup if its the top were the screws are then you will just have to take the top off and remove the pin that holds the drive cup and put in the new one.

ImminentFailure

As noted above, have to take apart the diff. You'll need diff fluid to refill them. If you have never opened them, you may want to get degreaser and rags ready. The stock stuff is grease, not silicone fluid. If you broke the drive cup that's on the opposite end of the crown gear, there is a set screw on the side of the diff case. This is to load the pin back through into the diff cup stem. Don't tighten it down too much after replacing it, as you can seize up your diff.

I assume you have a copy of the manual? If so, there should be no part # confusion. I used it exclusively, without any problem of part identification. It also clearly shows how to rebuild the diff. YOu have to take apart the gear box to extract the diff case.

You also may want to give the hardened diff cups a try since you are already spending $20. 710021

rcgasser

If you have never opened them, you may want to get degreaser and rags ready. The stock stuff is grease, not silicone fluid.

Very well said the stock is crap grease I had to soak the diff gears down in simple green for quite awhile to get all of the grease off of the gears and the diff case. Great info added about the grub screw a well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChuenouXiao

As noted above, have to take apart the diff. You'll need diff fluid to refill them. If you have never opened them, you may want to get degreaser and rags ready. The stock stuff is grease, not silicone fluid. If you broke the drive cup that's on the opposite end of the crown gear, there is a set screw on the side of the diff case. This is to load the pin back through into the diff cup stem. Don't tighten it down too much after replacing it, as you can seize up your diff.

I assume you have a copy of the manual? If so, there should be no part # confusion. I used it exclusively, without any problem of part identification. It also clearly shows how to rebuild the diff. YOu have to take apart the gear box to extract the diff case.

You also may want to give the hardened diff cups a try since you are already spending $20. 710021

-------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------

Very good advice! Thanks.... can you explain a little more why I shouldn't tighten the set screw for the pin too much? Why is that bad? Should I use loctite on that set screw? What brand of lubricant should I buy? Which major retail store? Proper way to clean the differential and re-fluid?

Deluge

If you tighten the set screw too much, it'll bind the diff. There's a shim inside the diff that the pin rides on. If you over tighten the screw, it'll hit that shim and bad things will happen. Do NOT use loctite on the screw, you're threading into plastic, not metal.

Diff fluid is a personal preference thing. I run Mugen 7000. If you have a local hobby store, stop by and see what they have available.

When I clean my diff, I just take it apart, clean out what I can with a rag and let the gears and cases soak in some degreaser that's been diluted with some hot water. I scrub the tough spots with a tooth brush.

Before you fill the diff, be sure to install the set screw! When you fill the diff, fill it until the fluid level is about half way up the internal gears.

DemonRC

chuefengxiong said:
You don't have to remove the entire differential case from the chassis to remove the diff. The Rampage diff case is designed like an 1/8 scale diff case where you can remove screws out the back and just pull the back of the diff case off and the diff will pop right out. The front of the diff case which holds the shock tower and everything else stays in the car.

ImminentFailure

Demon, I never realized that. 98% of my summer frustration of owning my XT was from taking the entire thing apart. Front twice, rear 3 times for diff cups. I hate myself, i hate you. j/k ofc :p .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts