• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

I want to inspect my clutch on a completely stock XT Truck

h20guy

Hi as the title says my truck has been making a louder whining noise than usual while running, it also want's to move when I first start it up without any throttle input which it used to just sit there like it supposed to. So I want to access the clutch so that I can check it out and make sure that everything looks ok with it, and that there's no debris stuck in it or something wrong with it. So my question is what's the easiest fastest way to be able to look at the clutch assy, shoes, springs, etc. I already have the gear cover off to inspect the gears. Thanks in advance for your input!

sdmaker

easy way is to remove the engine. three screws in the gear plate, and the 2 in the chassis and the whole engine will come out.

rcgasser

1+ that is the easiest way also if it is starting to creep you might want to adjust your idle screw so it wont rev as high that should stop it from creeping or moving when you first start it. Are you sure that the noise is coming form your clutch bell? I have found that most noise I have encountered come from the gears it self.

G

You might also want to check the gear plate. The plastic x-series gear plates have been known to crack. If it is broke, the clutch could now be out of alignment. You could also have a bad bearing also causing the same problem and be the cause of your whining noise.

h20guy

Thanks for all of your input. I removed the engine and the clutch looks fine. So does the gear plate and the gears. Next I will try to inspect the brakes as best as I can to see if there is some debris in there causing an issue. I haven't touched the idle screw since I have gotten the truck, maybe the colder weather is causing it to rev higher. I will play with that if I don't see any issues with the brakes.

G

The cold air is more dense so it's typical to richen up the mixture in the winter months. The stock clutch is a 6000rpm. So if it is idling high, it will start to creep. Maybe it's just time to tune. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts