• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

I just don't know about this truck anymore.

Wicked

This truck has really bummed me out. Besides from the endless engine problems I now have a broken damage screw remover in the stripped screw that holds the bottom of the engine. I tried removing it yesterday to check the coil gap and stripped the screw. Today I got up and went to remove with a kit I have used 5 or so times before with damage screws and it broke the bit WTF!!!!

I have wanted this truck for 10 months and in 2 days its become something I don't even want to look at. Just seems like nothing on this truck wants to do what its suppose to. Its like I got the Friday afternoon truck from the plant.

I emailed some of this to Scott at Vancouver hobbies and am waiting to see what he has to say. I mean even if all you guys think my tuning skills are off the screw issue isn't my fault. Now I can't even remove the engine with out making a real mess over everything. I have a hardened drill bit remover broke in the screw. Good Luck to me trying to get that out.

C.B.

i did the samething as you but on the engine mount screw

once you figure out how to get it out all will be well

i was frustrated lots of good bits and patience

don't give up yet when you finally get it out you can install new hardware and then your good

these things are from china so who knows what they use to hold the screws in

try a dremel i used a bit that looked like a bit from a mill and hand milled the screw around the broken extractor

those extractors are good for 1 use only then they get brittle

it will come out eventully

when reinstalling parts follow sprint77's sheet for torque you wont have that problem again

Last edited by a moderator:

csp1971

Contributor
Don't get discouraged. I have one coming and I know to expect the same or similar issues I've had with my other two large scales. There is always something that will f your day, but keep working on it. I've 3 times now had a stripped screw in the bottom of my Firehammer engine mounts and with some work, I've gotten them out each time. You'll get it.

DemonRC

I'll take it off you hands if you want. I just sold one of my Baja's and need to fill the spot :D .

Seriously speaking, I've run a Firehammer, 3 Baja's, an MCD MT, and of course a Rampage TT. I've had the same problems you describe with each of these vehicles. I do agree that the bottom two engine bolts are a major biatch to get out. I just drilled mine out a long time ago, pull the engine, heated what was left of the bolts with a butane lighter, put some vice grips on the bolts, took them out and replaced them. Never had a major problem since then. Other than that the Rampage is, by far, the easiest and cheapest vehicle to maintain by far. I like the Rampage so much I'm in the process of selling my last 5b and will get either a MT or another TT for my son.

Just get past these few small bumps and I honestly believe you won't regret it.

Wicked

I think maybe I was spoiled with my SS. Being that I built it you do everything right the first time. I threw it in the shed and its been there all day. Its suppose to rain the next few days and after that I will go at it again. My big thing right now is getting that friggen screw out. This really sux because the truck looks awesome but DAM!!! it has issues.Here is a picture of the slot I put in the screw so I could try and get it out with a screw driver. Still no luck.

IMG_3528%20(Large)[1].JPG

/monthly_2009_05/583c605838e2d_IMG_352820(Large)1.JPG.ae44ed6e6977ef3c0df1e5465cf1edd9.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Wicked

Hey guys.

Well I made some progress tonight and was able to break the leftovers of the screw remover and then it was just a matter of drilling out the screw. So first thing tomorro I am going to check the gap and go from there.

Scott over at Vancouver hobbies has offered to take the motor back and check it out himself if I still am having problems with it after I reset the gap. Good guy!!

martijn1974

mooman007uk said:
The red loctite that's the factory use is like weld
And that is the source of the problem's were having...I've noticed that red loctite too, never use red loctite..only blue.

When I was replacing my...what's it called?! Billet?! For the one with alloy inserts. some screws were freakin' hard to get out.

Especialy the ones on the squares holding the gears to the axles.

Always use blue loctite, and never overtighten.

lumax

I had the same problem, what I did was to slot the head of the screw with the dremel, heat it with a propane torch, hammer it, reheat, took a flat chisel and hammer it on an angle to turn the screw and it unscrew (almost) easily

roccos_van

Moo had it right, if any of you ever strip an allen screw, get a torx bit that is a touch larger and hammer it into the allen screw, then use a 1/4 inch drive and it will come right out. The factory in China uses red loctite on some stuff and nothing on other stuff, it's best to tear it down and re-build with blue stuff. (i used red on the pins in the dogbones) Heating up red loctite will break it down as well. Use a butane torch or even a soldering iron.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.