• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

I don't effing believe it

mooman007uk

Banned
Not even 10mins running in my yard tonight (just getting it warm before the missus was gonna shoot some vid) and busted another f#$%@ng diff cup...the one I tried tempering...so that didn't work. bassted!

I'ts really dialled in now so it hits the pipe just about instant off idle and blammo... 2wd again. I'm going to dremmel one rather than use an upgrade part to see if it holds up...I obviously didn't get the temp right when I tried tempering but dremel heat seems to be working up to now...one on both sides of the diff will tell all...if one breaks then I'm hooped...I have finally found the ramps inherent weakness when running an ONB ported 28.5, 813 and of course the incredible 77dom.

nitropit/one hobbies make some more hardened cups...that is an order:D

kryptonite

wow dude, that really bites. im serous. its just that one little thing that nobody has a fix for yet.. im glad your faster then me!! but im sure i'll still pass you..... :D ,

mooman007uk

Banned
Nah, I've tried fg...the diameter is the same and they use splines which would be bullet proof but the gears are too small, mcd are totally different as are hpi. We need redcat to push the factory to come up with a better steel alloy/hardening and tempering combo or better yet a fatter shaft with redesigned diff case and crown gear to accomodate it..either that or a splined shafts like fg...they don't snap...ever!

kryptonite

Lizardking said:
Are they any diff cups from anyone that will work...MCD, FG, HPI and so on.....I'm sure this has been discussed.
ya. its kinda been an ongoing thing with the heavy hitters. i probly have a good 15+ tanks on my ramp and havent busted one yet(TOUCHING WOOD!). im running a 28.5 with an X-can. the sprint pipe with a ported motor is a bad combo. a center diff would be the best fix, but not a chance in hell!!

mooman007uk

Banned
kryptonite said:
wow dude, that really bites. im serous. its just that one little thing that nobody has a fix for yet.. im glad your faster then me!! but im sure i'll still pass you..... :D ,
I didn't even jump it...just broke under the power this things throwing out .

and yep you'll pass me cos I'll have a knackered drivetrain:rolleyes:

Lizardking

To bad we couldn't come up with a conversion for the FG's to fit. I beat the piss out of my FG...only problem I had was the 2 speed failed and a I lost a shock cup..

mooman007uk

Banned
I agree, if someone could make just the right size splined gears we'd be sorted, the fg cups look to be long enough to work, it can't be that hard to make splined gears...fg make them en masse.

different track...how'd the 2sp fail...I have a failproof upgrade for the carrier pin snapping, I run a 2sp also and it's been faultless since I modded it

Lizardking

I shouldn't say it failed---I failed. The screw backed that held the gear on to the clutch bell and the gears stripped out.....I used locktite after that...never had a problem. That FG was one tough truck with a real simple design. The brakes sure stunk....it would be good for a couple stops..I wanted to upgrade disc brakes.

Lizardking

Here's another of my custom built truck by Mike Cannon.

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

/monthly_2009_03/IMG_0992.jpg.186b0b083f021729cd0d20865deff34b.jpg

/monthly_2009_03/IMG_0994.jpg.73ed782b84af472d01c699fa8eaa4f7b.jpg

mooman007uk

Banned
Lizardking said:
I shouldn't say it failed---I failed. The screw backed that held the gear on to the clutch bell and the gears stripped out.....I used locktite after that...never had a problem. That FG was one tough truck with a real simple design. The brakes sure stunk....it would be good for a couple stops..I wanted to upgrade disc brakes.
yep stock fg brakes suck...i upgraded to kpd hydro's front and rear..it locks all 4 now...I love the 2sp..just gives so much more scope for gearing set up without compromising low or high end

IMADMAN

Hey mooman007uk,

I can solve your problem, send me your motor and pipe, and i'll send you a weak a$$ 23cc w/ a stock can. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

Heck now you can even take it to the kid's sandbox and hand push it around if it still has too much power!!!!!! (Sorry you need to add your own sound effects)

J/K!!!!!!!!! :)

I sent Nitro pit hobbies a PM a while back and never got a response, so i'm not sure if they will still doing the hardened cups, but it looks like Speedy has contacted them recently and got a response.

mooman007uk

Banned
upon teardown I found that the cup that broke was the one I dremelled and not the one I tempered so I'll temper another and see what happens...that'll be 2 in the rear then so be able to see if trying to temper works.

Also found half a clutch liner had come off one shoe, front driveshaft dogbone pin trying to come out, loose centre diff drive cup, loose d gear and a few other loose screws in plastic parts. I serviced it about 2 tanks ago but haven't had the motor out for a while.

going back together now so hope to get some run time this afternoon.

kryptonite

hey moo. just saw on another thread you are running 120,000k diff fluid? thats like putting rocks in there. im thinking that if you dropped it down to something really light that you may take ALOT of the pressure off an already weak part. the 120k has to be fun, but man its goto be a pain.. just a thought

Clubin

Banned
moo, I blew off one clutch shoe, looks ike there wasn't any adhesive. I installed a compleat Zenoah set and a DDM 7500 spring. Shouldn't have any problems now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts