• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Hub pins

Gas Jocky

I noticed again today that my hub pins work loose all the time, lost two so far. The grub screw that holds them in is to soft and strips real easy so I drilled it out and re tapped with an M3 thread, ground the pin a little and put a long cap screw in so if I have to get a good grip on it later I can.

Hubpin001.jpg

Hubpin004.jpg

Hubpin006.jpg

Hubpin007.jpg

Gas Jocky

The Allen hex grub screw stripped and I couldn't get it out so I drilled it out with a 2.90mm drill and threaded it with an m3.5 tap. I purposely put a longer cap screw in because it soft stainless and I wanted to make sure I could get ahold of it later if need be. It well protected once the wheel is on.

hellya

Shiny said:
Good idea. But don’t you think a shorter screw will be better.
If he leaves it longer (as is) and then he strips the allen head.... he still has something/the outer head to take the vise grip to and not have to drill it out:)

Kaz the Minotaur

What I ment was did the 2.9 mm bit ruin the stock threads in the axle stub? Or were you able to get the grub screw remains out with out damaging the thread?

Gas Jocky

Yes the stock thread is no longer, m3.5 is a larger dia thread.

Gas Jocky

Yah, I just kept mine metric for ease of working on it, I try to keep my standard stuff separate from the rest, makes life just a little easier! :)

flint mann

HPI's and Turtle Racing's modded hubs are a direct fit and have a 3mm button head screw vice a small grub screw.

Shiny

Gas Jocky said:
The Allen hex grub screw stripped and I couldn't get it out so I drilled it out with a 2.90mm drill and threaded it with an m3.5 tap. I purposely put a longer cap screw in because it soft stainless and I wanted to make sure I could get ahold of it later if need be. It well protected once the wheel is on.
Ok got it. That is actually vary good after I thought about it. :D

Kaz the Minotaur

I broke my 8/32 tap off in the axle stub...now I'm screwed. I don't know what happened. It didn't feel like it was binding up and I was keeping it lubed with wd-40. It was a Craftsman tap also...

Maybe it got bound up on a shaving of metal? I was turning it in with a small pair of vice grips. What about using a drill?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gas Jocky

When tapping a new thread you have to use the proper pilot drill first then tap it, 1/2 turn in 1 or more back out, you know 1 step forward two steps back LOL!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.