• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

How do you pay for your RC Addiction?

Guantanamo Joe

As I have mentioned in a couple of other posts... my wife rolls her eyes every time I buy something for this hobby- but she never says a word because I have another hobby that makes money. I do leatherwork and all proceeds to toward better trucks and better parts :D

Here is a book cover I finished a couple of days ago.

DSC_0495.jpg

So, how do the others keep from blowing the family budget?

G

cherryride said:
Thinking about getting a tin cup and standing at a busy intersection! :cool:
I like that. I'm going to make a sign "RC Broke Please Help" LOL

G

Guantanamo Joe said:
As I have mentioned in a couple of other posts... my wife rolls her eyes every time I buy something for this hobby- but she never says a word because I have another hobby that makes money. I do leatherwork and all proceeds to toward better trucks and better parts :D Here is a book cover I finished a couple of days ago.

DSC_0495.jpg

So, how do the others keep from blowing the family budget?
That's amazing! How much time goes into a project like that?

Guantanamo Joe

That book is the size of a normal piece of printer paper, and the carving is a pretty intricate one. I think I did the carving in about 12 hours and then another 3 or 4 hours to construct the book.

G

I was guessing at least a couple of work days. The carving is incredible. You've got some skills!

Guantanamo Joe

Thanks... I was terrible when I first started... so bad that I cant believe I kept up with it (artistic ability DOES NOT come naturally to me). RC is fun, but this is my passion... My wife gets mad when I joke that if the house were on fire, the first room I would save is the leather workshop. Then I remind her how much is invested in that room... ha ha ha

G

How did you get into that. The leather working is old school craftsmanship.

Guantanamo Joe

Yes, I find when I am around a group of leatherworkers and saddlemakers, I am normally the youngest in the group.

I was a guard at Fort Leavenworth about 10 years ago- There was an inmate there who did some pretty descent work in his hour a day at the craftshop. They had a little store where you could see and buy inmate crafts (cheapest and sturdiest wrought-iron furniture you ever saw). I never spoke to the inmate or even saw him working on his stuff because I was not assigned to the craftshop.

When I moved to Hawaii (such a hard life the Army gives me) I was married to a terrible woman. If I wasnt going to work then I really didnt get to leave the house. So I thought about what I could do to occupy my time in the house... So I figured if an inmate could use his limited resources in an hour a day to make what he was- then imagine what I could do with my spare time. It just went nuts from there... I have carried a bag full of leather tools to every corner of the world now as I deploy, go to military schools, and move.

I cant wait till my son (Tanner) gets old enough to learn... I hope he is interested in it too... :D

BertR

Joe you do incredible work with leather :) I fund my hobby with giving up 2 packs a day, my wife bought me the XT and said the rest is up to you

Guantanamo Joe

That's awesome... and with the price I hear smokes cost in parts of the states, the RC is probably cheaper... ha ha ha.

But in all seriousness, congrats on quitting... I know it is hard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts