• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

How do the excavators do on a 4 wheel setup?

Gee

Contributor
I've been wrestling with what tire to go with that are not as heavy as the MT but still have some size to them. I've been looking for a good buy on excavators mainly because I already have 2 proline excavators on 5b rims. I wasn't real impressed with them on the 5b for an all around tire. I ran them a couple of time but prefered the Hostile MX Hard. The excavators did better on the street and gravel road, but they were slip sliding away in the grass at the park and didn't do as well in the loose dirt and gravel pit as the MXs. The park and gravel pit are where I like to show off so the MX tires were used. I am debating on spending the money for two more of them and maybe they well work better with a 4 wheel drive setup but then again I could get stuck with the same performace as on the 5b.

If anyone out there has the excavotors on theirs, would you get them again or go for a different tires? Have you had the chance to run them on a 2 wheel drive setup also.

I am searching around for all the available 5th scale tires now. Probably will compile a chart and post it up once I gather all the info. I am thinking Trenchers or the New Hostiles Crushers if I decide to go with all new ones. Want something that still looks like a MT tire on the MT. I put 4 Hostile MX on it today for some test runs and they just don't have the look for me.

Thanks for the intervention. I need to watch my tire fetish with the 5th scalers. So far it isn't as bad, have the 5b stock setup, 4 mx hards, 2 excavators, and two paddels. I let it get out of hand with the smaller RC. The picture is old and it's just the extras I had. Add the tires I had isntalled on the 8 rcs at that time and everyone understood why I was single. I am no longer single (to the suprise of many) and my problem is tucked away in boxes now but once a tire aholic always a tire aholic.

tireshelf.jpg

Gee

Contributor
Thanks. Trying out the different tires available is a lot cheaper on the smaller scale rcs. Should go break out the box of those and list them for sale.

Skinnier then the Excavators?.?. That doesn't sound good. I tried looking around at all the tires but the specs are hit and miss as far a tires sizes.

Would I be on the right track to guess that any tires that are listed as 5T tires are going to be skinnier the a tire listed for the 5B?

This a list of what I found being sold for the 5th scale so far. Would like to compile a spreadsheet with the specs on it for size and what not but like said some places don't list any specs on thier tires.

4440 (Rear) DESERT BUSTER ARROW TIRE HD COMP (190x70mm/2pcs)

4835 (REAR) Dirt Buster Block tire HD Compound

4840 - Tarmac Buster Tire M Compound (Rear)

4846 - Sand Buster Paddle Tire M Compound (Rear

67868 HB Rodeo Tire (Blue /5T Rear/ 2pcs)

67970 HB PROTO TIRE (Blue/Baja 5B/Rear/2pcs)

67973 HB KHAOS TIRE (Blue/Baja 5B/Rear/2pcs)

1/5 REAR K ROCK WITH MOLDED FOAM.

1/5 IMEX J-7 MONSTER TRUCK

1/5 REAR SWAMP DAWG W/MOLDED FOAM

Redcat MT Tires Tractor tread tire 2pcs

Redcat TT Tires Off Road Knobby tire 2pcs

GRP Buldog Rear Tire for Baja 5B Soft on White Wheel

GRP Cubic Rear Tire for Baja 5B Medium on White Wheel

Hostile

All Terrain Tires - ATX Rear

Mini MX Rear Tires - By Hostile Racing Products

Mini V2 Rear Tires - By Hostile Racing Products

MX Tires "Hard" for Baja 5B - By Hostile Racing Products

Crusher Tires for Baja 5T - Rear - By Hostile Racing Products

RC4WD - Rear "Dune Reaper" Tires with Foam for Baja 5T

RC4WD - Rear "Sand Storm" Paddle Tires with Foam for Baja 5T

RC4WD - Rear Ruff RiderTires

Proline Badlands Rear Tires

Proline Trencher Rear Tires

Proline Bow Tie Rear Tires

Proline Excavator Rear Tires

CEN Racing Pre-Mounted 1/5 Scale Short Course Tires

I found some others like some stock tires that are on a couple of the other 5th scales out there but couldn't find just the tire listed. Something to do while the snow comes and goes.

chevy

Most or all baja tires you use just rears for the rampage, the crushers I seen yesterday and they were skinnier than the hostile mxts but were taller.

BULLDOG1027

I love them on my MT but there so soft, they wear out fast on black top. I know everyone mainly runs on dirt but what little tuning Ive done on black top killed them fast and there not a cheap tire.

hamster huey

Is that a hobby store or your hobby room?! From what I remember for larger tires Ive tried excavators, trenchers, stock 5t, and stock Ramp MT. I think thats it? Tried 2wd and 4wd. I liked the stock MT tires for jumping, liked the excavtors all around, didnt like the trenchers, and didnt like the 5t tires.

The excavtors broke a little traction which allowed the RPM to spool up faster, and also allowed the car to slide a little w/o flipping as much. They did ok for jumping. Didnt work well with 2wd though, not enough traction.

The stock MT tires slowed the engine down quite a bit but did great for jumping. In 2wd was a little too much stress on the drivetrain.

The trenchers were too grippy and caused the car to flip easier in 2wd and 4wd. They bogged the engine down under hard accel. because it couldnt break as much traction to allow the engine to spool up.

5t tires sucked at everything except drifting.

My choice for all around: smaller diameter buggy tires.

PISTOL PETE

Gee said:
I've been wrestling with what tire to go with that are not as heavy as the MT but still have some size to them. I've been looking for a good buy on excavators mainly because I already have 2 proline excavators on 5b rims. I wasn't real impressed with them on the 5b for an all around tire. I ran them a couple of time but prefered the Hostile MX Hard. The excavators did better on the street and gravel road, but they were slip sliding away in the grass at the park and didn't do as well in the loose dirt and gravel pit as the MXs. The park and gravel pit are where I like to show off so the MX tires were used. I am debating on spending the money for two more of them and maybe they well work better with a 4 wheel drive setup but then again I could get stuck with the same performace as on the 5b.
If anyone out there has the excavotors on theirs, would you get them again or go for a different tires? Have you had the chance to run them on a 2 wheel drive setup also.

I am searching around for all the available 5th scale tires now. Probably will compile a chart and post it up once I gather all the info. I am thinking Trenchers or the New Hostiles Crushers if I decide to go with all new ones. Want something that still looks like a MT tire on the MT. I put 4 Hostile MX on it today for some test runs and they just don't have the look for me.

Thanks for the intervention. I need to watch my tire fetish with the 5th scalers. So far it isn't as bad, have the 5b stock setup, 4 mx hards, 2 excavators, and two paddels. I let it get out of hand with the smaller RC. The picture is old and it's just the extras I had. Add the tires I had isntalled on the 8 rcs at that time and everyone understood why I was single. I am no longer single (to the suprise of many) and my problem is tucked away in boxes now but once a tire aholic always a tire aholic.

tireshelf.jpg
gee i had to show my wife this picture . thank you for taking a little heat off of me.my bench is not quite that full

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts