• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

How about 2-speed on Rampage

Martin

After some little drawing and some brainstorm, I've put the the drawing on real part, this is not a real working two speed unit, but I plan to make it working for later.

The only downside with the concept is I think it's too much exposed out of the body, ex: for bad landing, or hitting something, etc......

Good thing is I will be able to use any imaginable combination of gearing ratio available from redcat or MCD, primary ratio, first ratio, and second ratio.

Here a pic of the design......

hamster huey

Im positve you can make a metal guard for that. You wouldnt even have to weld it. You could get thick self tapping screws a la side dom. I never thought of making the 2 speed that way. How much do you figure it would cost?

Martin

Obeast: This is a way to make thing move for better, I can't sit with an empty mind, I work at home all day long for almost all the time of conversion projects in 1/1 car, diesel conversion in westy camper, I also do myself custom chip tuning, so.....I am always taking me dig the meninges to find a solution to built something or to fit something.

As for the price, due to the fact that I plan to use the factory and MCD gear, the price should be low, (material cost, some bearing, and the worktime)

rob64n

Contributor
i was thinkin if you want to keep from excess overhang of the gears to put the 2 speed part on clutch bell shaft that way the d shaft stays the same, but you would have a plate over the clutch bell gear and spur gear with bearings on both shafts for support so the shafts don't flex causing the gears to strip.

Martin

Yep, Baja 2 speed is like a neverending story........

I can put the gear on clutch shaft, but I will have to put the one way bearing on the B shaft, it will not give enough space for another gear on that shaft to drive the D shaft.

An external plate with bearing is an idea also.

fastlane

Team Driver
I would like a 2 speed. When you get it going are you planning on selling a few of these?

Martin

I will first built two of it, 1 for me and another for my friend, and as soon as the snow melt completly, we will test how that thing work, and for sure to burn several and several tank of fuel on both Redcat before planning to sell some to other.

Martin

Well, I received the Hardened steel gear today, they are very hard, imho they are indestructable, even with a poor mesh....... I'm almost ready to make the 2 speed, As soon as I receive the needed tool, bearing etc.. I'll start to work on that.

rampage gear 2 speed .jpg

/monthly_2010_06/583c605dafb53_rampagegear2speed.jpg.9b17a87b4776432277ebdff990584202.jpg

Martin

Gear can be found here, but be carefull what gear you buy, there is different gear carrier on MCD: http://www.gotpetrol.net/steel-gears-vt4838.html

As for the 2 speed, I will make it differently, I don't know what he have make for the clutch bell shaft to make it longer? I don't want to make a new clutchbell with a longer shaft.

With the Redcat with his 3 pieces ''D'' shaft, I can fit the two speed on that shaft with a longer one, a very basic part to do in 10min, wich is almost impossible on a MCD since the ''D'' shaft is one piece with the pinion gear.

In fact, all is possible, but how much work time and how much $$$...

Martin

Like you said, it's not too complicated to reproduce.

For 1/5 RC, a two speed already exist from FG since a long time, and newly for HPI 1/5.

Imho the best two speed ever is the one from Team losi 1/8 lst, lst2, xxl.......... I played a lot with this losi truck (6 in total) before to move to 1/5 scale, they work with a centrifugal clutch pad system and a cam lobe (flat cut) on the layshaft to lock the clutch firmly when the pad start to grab inside the drum, no possible slippage on power, and a very smooth transition from 1st to 2nd.

The only downside is you have to replace the pad and drum often, specially combined with a big or ported motor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts