• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

guess what i broke

speedyd

Banned
View attachment 779 i just spoke with the guys at nitro pit/one hobby and they are sending out a new set of cups.after some discusion he said that they may make some more. the breakage that i had is nothing like what you guys are getting, mine split the cup in half. i think my breakage was from a nasty dogbone angle.the shaft where the hole is was fine on all of mine and show no wear. slowsupra had a pretty hot motor in this before i got it and i run a 28.5, so it has seen some power. i had the diffs apart during this rebuild and other than the split cup every thing was fine. and as far as i have been able to gather i am the only one that has had a breakage. this may help you guys as well.

Picture 141.jpg

/monthly_2009_03/583c60568bada_Picture141.jpg.55a9b8d33f742623d7a196fc81359ae8.jpg

Piranha2

Contributor
This weekend I was checking mine out (while replacing my head gasket) and the dogbones were "frozen" in all the dif cups......so I need to install the fuel line trick to keep them centered but I also believe using some high grade grease to "cool" them down would work wonders. We have a lot of "dry" parts on these rigs, it's a wonder we don't break more.

mooman007uk

Banned
It's the amount of droop...i noticed it when I had the stock shocks...whilst on my tim hortons stand at full droop it would bind when you spun on the back wheels, the phatdad bajampage are 5mm shorter shafts so lessen the angle...I also made limiting straps to stop shock ends snapping and allowing big droopies.

Sounds like the nitro pit ones could the way to go...I guess we should all email them asking them to make more

str8jailbird

mooman007uk said:
It's the amount of droop...i noticed it when I had the stock shocks...whilst on my tim hortons stand at full droop it would bind when you spun on the back wheels, the phatdad bajampage are 5mm shorter shafts so lessen the angle...I also made limiting straps to stop shock ends snapping and allowing big droopies.
Sounds like the nitro pit ones could the way to go...I guess we should all email them asking them to make more
I'm in for at least 4. A complete set with back ups would be nice.

str8jailbird

mooman007uk said:
I sent them a pm....I'd like 4 sets but they're 69 bucks for a pair so 2 pair please.
Ran last night for 1/2 tank with no breakages...I'll run again after work and see if i can break a tempered one[/quoteGreat deal Moo. Were those on the dremeled cups? I am gonna try tempering my spares today. I was check the fronts and good thing I did. One of the upgraded cups had a big crack. Probably would have failed next run. The dremeled cups are still holding up as of yet though. No signs of cracking or twisting.

Piranha2

Contributor
You guys will never believe what we just broke.........wanna guess?........yeeeeaaaah, a dif cup pin......wow, you guys are smart!

mooman007uk

Banned
str8jailbird said:
mooman007uk said:
I sent them a pm....I'd like 4 sets but they're 69 bucks for a pair so 2 pair please.
Ran last night for 1/2 tank with no breakages...I'll run again after work and see if i can break a tempered one[/quoteGreat deal Moo. Were those on the dremeled cups? I am gonna try tempering my spares today. I was check the fronts and good thing I did. One of the upgraded cups had a big crack. Probably would have failed next run. The dremeled cups are still holding up as of yet though. No signs of cracking or twisting.
I did a dremeled cup last outing but i tempered one to grey and that held, i tempered the new one so have two tempered cups, from the upgrade kit, heated to about 900f...I'm going out in a minute to run and see if it helps.

Piranha2

Contributor
It's dark....you got lights?....oh, I forgot, you run into stuff in the daylight..... :D

speedyd

Banned
i put 3 hardened cups and one stock one in one corner a new 30.5 in the other corner. rang the bell and gave them a few rounds, and the winner is ....my diff cups! the new engine is a beast i tossed it all over a semi frozen/muddy beanfield and all went well.

kun114

I've broken two in my last two outings. I've taken the diff from the front and installed the better small pins from Rob for the rear and put the bigger hole junk in the front. We'll see how this holds up. I did just get a set of diff cups from Rob,but didn't check to see which ones they are yet.

Piranha2

Contributor
kun114 said:
I've broken two in my last two outings. I've taken the diff from the front and installed the better small pins from Rob for the rear and put the bigger hole junk in the front. We'll see how this holds up. I did just get a set of diff cups from Rob,but didn't check to see which ones they are yet.
I'm more of a crewchief than driver nowadays :mad:

str8jailbird

kun114 said:
Try tempering them with a plumbers torch, So far it has worked great for Moo and myself. I am turning the diff cup shafts a med/dark blue and after 3 tanks they are still holding up great!

Piranha2

Contributor
kryptonite said:
hmm. let me guess. short young with empty pockets... sounds like you need another ramp:D
Welllllll, short, getting old (but not wiser), obviously enough cash (my truck's still running), not enough tools though......need a compressor and now a torch........"SHE" doesn't let me play with matches, forget about a torch :rolleyes: You should've seen when the 77DOM melted thru my new Tygon fuel lines :eek: ......."SHE" was so proud of me.......her quote,"are you F'ing kidding me?" :D

Piranha2

Contributor
Well, broke another upgraded dif cup today after 3 minutes of run-time! I like to work on my rig in between running it but 3 minutes is NOT running it! I have 6 dif cups coming but I'm down to my last one, pretty soon I'll be cannibalizing the fronts! Oh, and my new rear brace broke. What rear brace, you ask?.......my 77DOM. :mad:

Piranha2

Contributor
Just got my upgrade kit so it's out for some thrashing and I made a pipe hanger of sorts for the 77DOM......need them braces!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts