• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Got my Rampage today and have some quick questions.

DemonRC

Can you guys answer some quick questions?

1) I picked up my Rampage today but the upgrade kit bag was backordered. I'm worried about breaking the stock diffs pins and causing damage. Should I just wait to the upgrade bag to come in or can I run it for a week or so with the stock diffs?

2) When green locktiting the dogbone pins do you knock em all the way out, apply green locktite and knock em back in?

3) Do you green locktite all the dogbones or just the centers?

So far I've done:

Boiled all lower and upper arms

4x Phatdad 4.8mm V2 shock inserts

XCan with 6" stingers

Got 4x Baja hubs and a set of 4x Baja rear wheels with Hostile MX's mounted in case I bust the stock wheels

Hitec 5745MG on steering and a 5645MG on throttle

Futaba 3pk radio

Still figuring out what paint job for the body... I'll prolly blue true flame it with a black diamond base. I dunno...

P.S. The Rampage is sweet. I might consider selling my other Baja if I like it as much as I think I will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piranha2

Contributor
After 5+ tanks we finally broke a dif and it wasn't a pin.....it was the dogbone cup that holds the pin......but this is after endo's and cartwheels at WOT......and I just let the loc-tite seep in thru the dogbone pins......run the stock difs and when you get the upgrade kit (I'm getting another one, they're so worth it!) you'll have your spare.....trust me these things take a beating!!!!! I launched a jump last night (blind hill) and when she dissappeared over it we heard SLAM :eek:and nothing.....BIG rock stopped her in her tracks! So go and thrash her, buy some more parts.....REPEAT as necessary:D

kryptonite

i didnt have green loc-tite so i used red. i wouldnt nock the pins out as they are in good and that will make them losser. it seeps in. i blew my rear diff after the 3rd tank, but my front diff is still holding up. it sounds like the shell is gona look great. but keep in mind it will crack after the first rollover. cant wait to see pics!

mooman007uk

Banned
Piranha2 said:
After 5+ tanks we finally broke a dif and it wasn't a pin.....it was the dogbone cup that holds the pin......but this is after endo's and cartwheels at WOT......and I just let the loc-tite seep in thru the dogbone pins......run the stock difs and when you get the upgrade kit (I'm getting another one, they're so worth it!) you'll have your spare.....trust me these things take a beating!!!!! I launched a jump last night (blind hill) and when she dissappeared over it we heard SLAM :eek:and nothing.....BIG rock stopped her in her tracks! So go and thrash her, buy some more parts.....REPEAT as necessary:D
I agree...these things take a lot of abuse and break very little and when they do break they're cheap to fix and you can always get parts...my fg sits for 2 weeks usually if I need something, my rampage sits for 2 days

C.B.

catchaser said:
Can you guys answer some quick questions?
1) I picked up my Rampage today but the upgrade kit bag was backordered. I'm worried about breaking the stock diffs pins and causing damage. Should I just wait to the upgrade bag to come in or can I run it for a week or so with the stock diffs?

2) When green locktiting the dogbone pins do you knock em all the way out, apply green locktite and knock em back in?

3) Do you green locktite all the dogbones or just the centers?

So far I've done:

Boiled all lower and upper arms

4x Phatdad 4.8mm V2 shock inserts

XCan with 6" stingers

Got 4x Baja hubs and a set of 4x Baja rear wheels with Hostile MX's mounted in case I bust the stock wheels

Hitec 5745MG on steering and a 5645MG on throttle

Futaba 3pk radio

Still figuring out what paint job for the body... I'll prolly blue true flame it with a black diamond base. I dunno...

P.S. The Rampage is sweet. I might consider selling my other Baja if I like it as much as I think I will.
ive never lost a dog bone pin and i broke diff pins catching air roll it till you break something youll have to take apart the same parts anyways

kryptonite

ya cb.. i havent lost a pin either. but you may want to put some BLUE loc-tite on the hub pins. the hex on the rim barely cover them and they can slide out

EDIT!!! thanx moo. i found the set screw in their. so no need to loc-tite the pins in. wish i would of known that BEFORE i locked them in. was a bear getting them out..

Last edited by a moderator:

C.B.

thats a good one i forgot about those little guys it sucks to watch your wheel pass your

rampage 5 minutes into a run

kryptonite

mooman007uk said:
I ground a flat in the middle of all the wheel hub pins so the grub screw bites better...and make sure you use plenty of blue loctite on your wheel nuts...or your wheels will come off:D
are you saying there is a grub screw in the axle? never new that, i'll have to check

kryptonite

mooman007uk said:
Kryp it holds the pin in, the upgraded ones have a bigger screw
holly crap moo. thanx. i thought they would have put one in their but i stuck a key in and didnt feel anything. i must have had the wrong size.. :eek: .. i'll edit my previus post. its a pain the the ars if you loc-tite those pins in their..TRUST ME!!

IMADMAN

kryptonite said:
holly crap moo. thanx. i thought they would have put one in their but i stuck a key in and didnt feel anything. i must have had the wrong size.. :eek: .. i'll edit my previus post. its a pain the the ars if you loc-tite those pins in their..TRUST ME!!
Yup those grub screws are a pain in the a$$ for sure, they round out quickly especially if you try to get away using the improper size allen wrench, or one that is worn. I had a couple of them that would'nt budge. I ended up taking off the axle assembly and used a punch to drive the pin out, leaving a nice scratch mark on it. After I filled the axle opening w/ wd-40 and liquid wrench, let it sit for a day then took out the grub screw. Since it's open alot of crud gets in so the allen wrench, you may think fit's perfectly, is actually to small because the crud takes up the remaining space. Always a good idea to blow out the axle with compressed air to clean it out before wrenching.

DemonRC

Thanks for the help guys. I seeped green locktite into all the dogbone pins early yesterday and ran 2 tanks last night without a problem. I just won't go totally balls to the wall with it untill I have some spare parts on hand.

kryptonite

every body breaks things in a diffrent order but this is mine

1) body

2) stock rear diff

3) stearing mount

4) 2-25 gears,c/d

5) another body

6) rear shocks(today)

in that order. so far im at 11 tanks.ran 3 today

DemonRC

kryptonite said:
every body breaks things in a diffrent order but this is mine
1) body

2) stock rear diff

3) stearing mount

4) 2-25 gears,c/d

5) another body

6) rear shocks(today)

in that order. so far im at 11 tanks.ran 3 today
Thats a great list. Thanks for putting that together. I think I got a solution for each one.

1) I'm chopping the top and making it a convertible like the 5B so it won't bust it up.

2) Hopefully the upgrade bag, when it gets here, will help with that

3) I got the aluminum mounts

4) Got a spare set of MCD 25's

5) same as 1

6) Running Phatdads.

kryptonite

ya thats righ, you have a tt. the body shouldnt crack so much on that,(i have mt).. did you check the clearance between the spark plug and roof cover? i don't like how rests right on the spark plug boot. you might be more prone to cracked plugs with a convertable, but it looks better. im working on my shocks now. not sure what to get. i want the phats and ddm has them in stock but im thinking aout springing for some rcwd shocks.. but its cutting into my tt fund..grr.

mooman007uk

Banned
where to start? here's my list of ouchies

stoved in fg can

lost pin from centre rear driveshaft

stock servo gears

body mount

rear shock end snapped

rear driveshaft pin when shock end snapped

upgraded rear diff cup shaft

Body

smushed modded ss pipe

front lower arm (boiled one...damn log)

front upper arm turnbuckle

and I had a wheel nut come off and had a 3 wheeler

considering the abuse I give it that is a small and very cheap list....I took the necessary pre run precautions and upgraded some stuff before 1st run but all in all one tough truck for less than half of what my fgbaja sits at...love my rampage

Piranha2

Contributor
Let's see...

1) body - front flip

2) bearing on the 35/25 shaft - just abuse

3) gear cover - when bearing went, gears went thru it

4) RR dogbone pin - not doing what you guys say to do

5) rear dif dogbone cup - 4x4 holeshots on asphalt

6) another pin in the RR dogbone - just wears there

........and I have a list of extras here and coming.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts