• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Gears Stuck

DustyR3825

Banned
I was going to do some maintenance on my mt, went to remove the diff plate and three of the gears are stuck and I can't get them off. Any suggestions??

Keith81

any pictures to reference to what your saying ?

G

I was going to do some maintenance on my mt, went to remove the diff plate and three of the gears are stuck and I can't get them off. Any suggestions??
If you have the square drives one of the set screws might have backed out into the gear.

Install a nut onto the end of the gear bolt to protect the threads. Tap on the bolt while pulling on the gear. If your lucky enough to have a mini puller I'd recommend that.

I'm curious to hear what you find. Good luck.

Deluge

Steel gears? Take the whole assembly off. After you take it off, throw the whole thing in a ziplock bag and toss it in the freezer for a few hours. That'll loosen them up for you.

The C gear is a little more work. The gear is behind the hub, and the hub is pressed onto the shaft. So you'll have to tap on the end of the shaft until it's loose. And if that gear is stuck on the hub, just throw it in the freezer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deluge

You could try some PB Blaster. Spray it on the back of the gears and let it sit for about 5 minutes. After it's been sitting, lightly tap the back edge of the gears with a hammer, and rotate them while you tap them, that should loosen them.

Keith81

I tried everything with my stuck gear. Still have it stuck on the square hub... I ended up ordering new gears and hubs...

FuzzBall03

Keith81 said:
I tried everything with my stuck gear. Still have it stuck on the square hub... I ended up ordering new gears and hubs...
If you're comfortable with it... feel free to ship it to me.

I have many tools at my disposal, and if for some reason i cant come up with a solution I'm sure one of my coworkers can. We have a few talented machinist.

DustyR3825

Banned
What in the heck causes them to bind on the drives....Sounds like I'm not the only one with this issue....

DustyR3825

Banned
Deluge said:
The aluminum is what causes them to seize. Putting some anti-seize on the gear would help.
+1

You know, I didn't even think of that! Its like putting a spark plug in a fresh head. I always use anti seize...

max 1

i sand the sqars with emery cloth before i fit the gears to the sqars, always come of.try some heat good freind some times,

Keith81

FuzzBall03 said:
If you're comfortable with it... feel free to ship it to me.I have many tools at my disposal, and if for some reason i cant come up with a solution I'm sure one of my coworkers can. We have a few talented machinist.
I still have the gear with the hub stuck on it..

I'd be more then happy to ship it to ya...

Just PM me with your address..

-Keith

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.