• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Gears after 3/4 tank on grass

MOfroggy

Here is a picture of my two inside gears after only 3/4th tank on grass. Something must have gotten in there somehow. The case looks like it is nearly jam up against the housing and I can't see an entry path for anything but somehow it happened. I will try to figure out how to protect it more, this problem could get expensive. I replaced the two gears with the spares Rob was kind enough to send, now I need to order more in case it happens again.

I am not complaining here. I just wanted to let people see what to look for. I have been well taken care of by Rob and his crew!

IMG_0014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hellya

Run the MCD gears Rob sent you...I think thats why they sent them because the stock ones were having issues like the one in your photo

You shouldnt have anymore problems if you do post it here.....I heard steel gears are on the way:)

Kaz the Minotaur

Was this the very first 3/4 of a tank on the truck? If they are stripping so soon it almost seems like a warranty issue?

MOfroggy

I put the gears Rob sent to me in after I found this. I think they anticipated the problem knowing there would be issues. I am happy with the way they have treated us!!!

MOfroggy

RampageHopUps

That is why some distrubutors sent out MCD gears. Getting new warranty gears will not fix the probem. Redcat is working on new materialfor the gears. In teh mean time, get MCD geras, or wait a few weeks for steel gears.

Gas Jocky

Has anybody tried this set up yet? MCD 23/26 steel gears, the gear lash seemed to be good but the stock 25/35 were very tight till I ran them in with a drill. Smooth as silk now. I had to put the 23 on the "D" position because the cover case wouldn't fit. I think it will work till we get some proper steel gears from Ramtech.

Rampagegears002.jpg

hellya

Is that metal shavings I see on your gear carrier:eek:

MOfroggy

Will the steel gears transfer the "weakest link" in the system to one of the other gears. Like I said in one of my other posts...there needs to be a cheap easy to get to weak link in the system somewhere!!

RampageHopUps

We will give people choices. Upgrade until you find your level of happiness. It all depends how you drive. I have beater bajas for crashing and bashing, and I have upgraded Bajs for driving in the desert.

MOfroggy

Letting everyone determine what level of protection they need in the weak link department depending on how they run their trucks reminds me of what my Uncle Joe told me one time.

"there are three things you can absolutely count on....1.)shit will smell..... 2.) time will tell...3.)water will seek it's on level"

I get what you are saying, we will need to deal with what circumstances we will run our trucks under and be ready to adapt if we change the circumstances.

Skater229

I think there are some upgrades that everyone will need, and upgrades that will not be needed by all... Some folks are a little more hardcore on their rides then others... And I can see Robs point about letting people decide what to get...

I remember when the t-maxx came out, the telescoping drive shaft would twist... the fix was MIP Cvds, now the problem moved the ring gear inside the diff cover... swapping the drive shaft took a few mins, but the ring gear took a while to tear down and replace...

Skater

MOfroggy

Skater229 said:
I think there are some upgrades that everyone will need, and upgrades that will not be needed by all... Some folks are a little more hardcore on their rides then others... And I can see Robs point about letting people decide what to get...
I remember when the t-maxx came out, the telescoping drive shaft would twist... the fix was MIP Cvds, now the problem moved the ring gear inside the diff cover... swapping the drive shaft took a few mins, but the ring gear took a while to tear down and replace...

Skater
Skater,

I think you get my point. Why transfer the problem to a more expensive, harder to fix problem. This was the main reason for the advent of the "slipper clutch" in the RC Rock Crawler world.

RampageHopUps

Myself, I would prefer to fix a dogbone. You will get to a point where the mods you have are working for your driving style.

Skater229

MOfroggy said:
Skater,
I think you get my point. Why transfer the problem to a more expensive, harder to fix problem. This was the main reason for the advent of the "slipper clutch" in the RC Rock Crawler world.
I do get your point... But this is still a new truck and issues are going to found everytime you run... And as the issues get fixed the later versions will be a more robust truck... It is the first driver growing pains... All I am saying is there are going to be flaws, but be a little flexable they are working on them as they are found...

And yes, changing a gear on the side of the truck beats tearing it apart... But maybe being able to get the gears last a little longer would be good...

Skater

Gas Jocky

Kaz the Minotaur said:
Where can you get the MCD metal gears?
You can get them from innovative hobbies but I would wait for Rob's gears, hopefully they should be available soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.