• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

First Run...stripped steering

ParkerNT

Well, finally got to fire up the MT Pro...AWESOME! I was grinning like a clown on NoS :D Absolutey badass! It started easier than I expected it to, and ran like a scalded dog. I puttered around the yard for a bit, then ran it up to about half throttle for a bit in the driveway, then back to the yard for a bit. Took a couple runs down the street at full throttle...I was suprised at how fast this thing is. The tires actually got a little bit taller at full speed.

A couple of the neighbors have dirt bikes, so they all came out to see who was riding up and down the road. They were like "wtf is that?" lol My girlfriend said "that's a little too loud!" haha, the side Dom pipe sounds frigging great!

Drove it as far away as I felt comfortable (about 300 yds), and it never hesitated to respond. No jitters, no failsafe kicking in, nothing :)

The only problem I had was pure opperator error. I was running down the street toward me and was a little off line. I turned the steering just a tad to get back on line...but I turned it the wrong way. I knew better, but I did it before I realized what I was doin. Ran it into a ditch and stripped BOTH the steering servos. Took one of em apart and the plastic gears were in pieces...

So, upgrade... What are the toughest, strongest, and best servoes for steering? I'm not to worried about price, after the $ I spent on the truck, I want the best.

Puny servos or not, I LOVE this thing! It's the most fun I've had with my clothes on :cool:

Parker

Obeast44

Banned
Get 2 Rhinos if you want the some of the best, but they are pricey. I run 2-Hitec HS 5745MG servos on steering. They are metal geared, priced reasonably, have plenty of torque and come with aluminum servo horns. :D

mini the minx

Hi-Tec actually make the rhino servo's ;)

The only difference is the quality of the bearings used and the hi-tec have 15kg of torque each where as the rhino's have 24kg.

I've killed both in the past so one is no longer wearing than the other, I would go for Hi-tec 5745 as you can get two of those for the same price as one rhino :)

ParkerNT

I looked all over here last night and was thinking Rhino... Especially with these big ass tires. But I saw that most of the ppl here run the Hitec 5745. Also saw that a few are using the HPI SFL-30MG.

Decissions decissions...

My question now is: the hpi says that it has a more consistant strength over the whole throw rather than a peak strentgh at one point. That sounds to me to be better...but it's nearly as much $ as the rhino.

i'm looking for as much torque as I can get. So, is a consistant 18kg better than a peak 24kg?

Parker

Obeast44

Banned
Id take a Rhino over an HPI SFL anyday of the week and twice on Sunday. IMO that whole consitent torque thing is a gimmick. If a servo can put out 24kg...its gonna put that much out regardless.

v555

Obeast44 said:
Id take a Rhino over an HPI SFL anyday of the week and twice on Sunday. IMO that whole consitent torque thing is a gimmick. If a servo can put out 24kg...its gonna put that much out regardless.
-and rhino is very fast too i think this is even more important. i got one rhino about 3,5 years old and still working perfectly this year when i installed double steering i buyd another and i am very satisfied .well yes hitec make the multiplex servos but also the same concern make audi vw seat and many more-that does not mean that audi and seat are basically same car and quality.hitec makes good servos and you get what you paid for.so if mony is not the problem take the rhinos or hs 7950,but 5745 ,5735, 805 are also good options.

ParkerNT

So...after reading all the replys and doing some snooping, I'm torn between the Hitech 7950 and the Rhino Digi4. Looks like the 7950 has more torque, which is what I'm after.

Davesmotors has both, Rhino for $115 and 7950 for $149.

Thinking 7950...

Parker

Sprint 77

Contributor
I run dual 5955TG Hitecs , although I hardly run any tires but 4 hostiles on Baja wheels.

If you like to run Monster tires I would stay with 1/4 scale servos ( 5745 Hitec or Rhino ) They are both digital and have great holding tourque. The 7950 you speek of has tremendous power but the gear drivetrain will not hold up to the big tires the gears are not big enough.

If you go one servo get the Rhino if you go two the 5745 will be just fine.

Sprint 77

Contributor
Also the best thing you can do is run just the signal wire to the reciever power you servo from the Batterey direct. If you don't want to make your own harness AMS sells them thru DDM.

Your servos will thank you for it . Digital servos will easily overload the Amp draw capability within the recievers connections . Hence why so many of you are buring up servos.

v555

ParkerNT said:
So...after reading all the replys and doing some snooping, I'm torn between the Hitech 7950 and the Rhino Digi4. Looks like the 7950 has more torque, which is what I'm after.

Thinking 7950...

Parker
good choice ,hope you noticed that the 7950 torque was marked at 7,4v .at 6v it is 29kg/cm and speed 0,15s vs rhino 25 and 0,10s at 6v.

Evildomain

Contributor
You said that you got 300 yards of range from you transmitter? Isn't that 900 feet,

three football fields. Is that what most people get? I did a range test on my truck

yesterday and got about 300-320ft away from my truck on a residential street. I

couldn't even see it at that range. I can't imagine it being 3 times as far.

Anyway, I use two 5745's with a DDM 4600mah hump pack and I have no power issues.

Standing still the wheels move freely on asphalt or damp sand. I've run a couple tanks

through the battery pack and only put back 1500mah's. Very good servos... :)

ParkerNT

Evildomain said:
You said that you got 300 yards of range from you transmitter? Isn't that 900 feet,
three football fields. )
oops...how about 100 yds, 1 football field's length is what I meant to equate that to...hehe

Parker

ParkerNT

Last edited by a moderator:

Evildomain

Contributor
What purpose does the direct power harness serve? Do the receivers not give enough

amperage for those two servos or do they run at a higher voltage than 6v?

ParkerNT

When you say servo horns, do you mean the arm that splines onto the final gear of the servo? The Rhino should come with an arm shouldn't it?

From what I've read the Spektrum rcvr can get kind weird when there's too much juice going through it...better safe than sorry.

Parker

Last edited by a moderator:

v555

ParkerNT said:

Thinking 7950...

Parker
hope you noticed that the 7950 35kg torque is at7,4v in 6v it is 29kg so its not big difference vs rhino25,5 kg but rhino is faster-0,10 vs 0,15

v555

ParkerNT said:
When you say servo horns, do you mean the arm that splines onto the final gear of the servo? The Rhino should come with an arm shouldn't it?
From what I've read the Spektrum rcvr can get kind weird when there's too much juice going through it...better safe than sorry.

Parker
rhino comes with 3 different arms including that arm you need.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts