• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Exhaust Question

mrharvey75

Looking to upgrade my Factory Tuned Exhaust from Redcat on my 1/5 Scale XSC, I need all the help I can to stay up with the Losi 5ive and HPI Baja 5T at the track!

Are there any out there?

Harvey

G

The FlowSystem is a bit more but it will out perform the others. It is stainless and hand built. They are amazing, and will fit under the body.

-

9faa34ff.jpg

Deluge

You can mod a rear Dom. A few members have done it. Hopefully they'll post and give you an idea of what's needed to make it fit.

mrharvey75

View attachment 5510 What you see here is a HPI Baja 5B Pigtail on a Redcat XSC. Really simple project took about an hour. Just don't make the mistake I did an buy a Pigtail without the Exhaust Clap, if you do you can pick one up online for about $20.Break Down of Price:HPI Pigtail: $20 on CraigslistExhaust Wire: $2.50 at HobbytownBolt, Nuts, and Washers: $2.25 at ACE HardwareThe only real hard part is bending the Exhaust Wire. I used two pairs of pliers, somone with the right stuff could easlier make it look cleaner than what I did! You will need to cut out the back end of the body I will post pics of that when I get my new body! Let me know what you think!Side Note: Add about 1.5 to 2.0 in horse power

tn.jpg

tn.jpg

/monthly_2012_09/tn.jpg.effe4f2b11801aa20bf72012a547898b.jpg

G

mrharvey75 said:
View attachment 5510 What you see here is a HPI Baja 5B Pigtail on a Redcat XSC. Really simple project took about an hour. Just don't make the mistake I did an buy a Pigtail without the Exhaust Clap, if you do you can pick one up online for about $20.

Break Down of Price:

HPI Pigtail: $20 on Craigslist

Exhaust Wire: $2.50 at Hobbytown

Bolt, Nuts, and Washers: $2.25 at ACE Hardware

The only real hard part is bending the Exhaust Wire. I used two pairs of pliers, somone with the right stuff could easlier make it look cleaner than what I did! You will need to cut out the back end of the body I will post pics of that when I get my new body!

Let me know what you think!

Side Note: Add about 1.5 to 2.0 in horse power
Hey the price was right. Keep us posted on how it holds up.

G

Deluge said:
You can mod a rear Dom. A few members have done it. Hopefully they'll post and give you an idea of what's needed to make it fit.
This is my modded rear Dom. It took some welding though.

-

51452307.jpg

94228EAF-82ED-4CE6-8672-E6F250A5069D-4254-0000060ACEEB99F0.jpg

Deluge

mrharvey75 said:
View attachment 5510 What you see here is a HPI Baja 5B Pigtail on a Redcat XSC. Really simple project took about an hour. Just don't make the mistake I did an buy a Pigtail without the Exhaust Clap, if you do you can pick one up online for about $20.

Break Down of Price:

HPI Pigtail: $20 on Craigslist

Exhaust Wire: $2.50 at Hobbytown

Bolt, Nuts, and Washers: $2.25 at ACE Hardware

The only real hard part is bending the Exhaust Wire. I used two pairs of pliers, somone with the right stuff could easlier make it look cleaner than what I did! You will need to cut out the back end of the body I will post pics of that when I get my new body!

Let me know what you think!

Side Note: Add about 1.5 to 2.0 in horse power
Good luck! I've ran that pipe. Not the best performer and it's not very durable.

mrharvey75

Well ran my first full tank of gas though it today with the new pigtail on, even did alittle bashing and juming. Had no problems. I think the main reason you didn't like the pigtail Deluge, is becasue you did have it supported the way I do, maybe I am wrong! All I know is i did notice a change with it! Had no problem keeping up (on the street) with a Losi 5ive! So you tell me if it was a good upgrade.

Side Note: During my Exhaust upgrade please know that I did change out me gearing which it another reason the XSC is running faster

Trip..

mrharvey75 said:
View attachment 5510 Side Note: Add about 1.5 to 2.0 in horse power
With that "pipe" not even close. Stock Baja pipes don't add much of anything over stock, just noise. The main problem is they are made of aluminum, aluminum melts at about 5 degrees above the temps of the exhaust gasses... In other words, they melt.

JetPro makes a hell of a pipe for the X series. It in fact does add 2 hp. And on my buggy it doubles as a grab handle when it's not 400 degrees.

ebbd7c28.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

alfred e numan

Pipe

This is a 20 dollar 5-b pipe from ddm. converted for xb. I modded this pipe to be used with the jet-pro rear mount expansion chambers header. This way, I can change from the modded hpi pipe -to the jet-pro rear mount in just a few moments. - sorta a crusty brazing joint om the cone- I was rusty at my brazing skills. now, i can flow the puddle correctly. practice makes perfect. This modded pipe has been put to the test - i even use the pipe to rest my knee on as i pull the rip cord to start it- 100% leak free. Soon I will have the money saved to purchace a hi-q slip roll- I will not copy any ones designs- each pipe will be built according to the porting specs.- stay tuned.

Ildy666

That exhaust looks good Alfred.like to see what u come up with when u get ur roller...

alfred e numan

big money

thanks idly. brazing is not immune to issues. bronze after 300c weakens somewhat. nickel-silver rod i use has a 85k tensile strengith, but less ductility, ablity to flex. As for the brazing equipment its self, I am useing 10 and 20 cubic ft tanks- as the tanks empty -the torch out put changes. this is because of single stage regulation. tru the internet I could buy two stage regulators, but---- the smith regulators run about 187 dollars each. I nearly bought a lincolin 140hd from home depot- started looking at the reviews and discovered its not the same as the lincolins sold at norco-oxart. 4 step tapped transformer-aluminum windings. Miller equipment is very spendy - they build a wide array of rigs- Millermatic 140 auto-set, check out the Miller Diversion 165 tig rig- squarewave ac- auto post flow- hf start- if it works 100% correctly, the hf start is a good idea. the option of a wireless foot control- There are tig rigs that go way beyond the Diversion series- but we are talkin big $$$$. computer interface- upgradeable right off the WWW!!!! Perhaps santa will bring a tree that grows 100 dollar bills this christmas-lol.

alfred e numan

Did some checking- welders direct is about 400 miles one way from my location- not far at all- Millermatic 140 auto-set- $ 730 dollars. Miller Diversion 165 tig- $ 1,400. -- just saying-----

Ildy666

Alfred look at the thermal arc 181i it does mig,stick,tig all in one.its portable and around $1000 bucks.real nice set up all digital read outs.I been eyeballing it for months now just got to get some funds up before i pull the trigger but Christmas is around the corner and the kids gave me their xmas lists already.my oldest gave me a$1500 list,4 beadlock rims for his quad new rear tires and a complete fmf exhaust.ha ha ha..lol..he must think i have a $100 dollar tree...lol...he'll get the exhaust that's$500 and other stuff.he's 12.when i was 12 i wouldn't even try to ask for stuff that expensive.my wife says its my fault because i give them quad and dirtbikes and they want all the race accs. I have.it took 30 years for me to get beadlocks ..lol...so i guess Im never getting a new welder ..lol..

alfred e numan

yea idly, the thermal arc is at the local dealer- nice rig- 5 year warranty also! It was on sale for bout 780 a few months ago- When I was 14, I thinned apple-pear orchards- changed water all summer- Bought a Penton six-day 125, green fiberglass gas tank- leather seat- sunburst head- state of the art at the time- loved it! When it started fouling plugs- I knew it was time for a new motoplat- ignition-

Ildy666

wow $780 is a great deal.i had a harley when i was about 6 or 7 i believe it was a 70.and i had 2 mini bikes one was metallic green with a green sparkley seat u gotta love the 1970's that had a 5 hp motor.the other was orange and had a 9 hp motor it was big and powerful.i be a liar if i told u i didnt hurt myself on that one.but u gotta go big or go home..lol...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts