• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

ESC questions and run time

cenmatrixsc

I finally got my batteries charged and got to run the buggy for the first time. I have to say, I love gas but ripping around my backyard yesterday without any noise or complaints from my neighbors was fun.

The buggy is pretty fast and handled fairly well out of the box.

I do have a question, I am not up to date on electrics. I got around 12 minutes of run time on the stock batteries and then it shut down completely. Is it safe to assume that the batteries when below the 3 volts and the auto cut-off kicked in.

Also, do I have to do anything to the esc if I bump up to the 14.8 volt batteries?

Obeast44

Banned
The ESC cannot handle that much voltage, it has a 6s lipo limit. If you want longer runtimes just get some 6s 5000+ Mah batts and wire them in parallel instead of series.

cenmatrixsc

Obeast44 said:
The ESC cannot handle that much voltage, it has a 6s lipo limit. If you want longer runtimes just get some 6s 5000+ Mah batts and wire them in parallel instead of series.
Sorry for my stupidity. Aren't the 14 volts only 4 cells each pack? The esc can only handle 3cell packs (2 3s being 6s) total?

Ol' fart

The ESC shut down to protect the batteries from discharging too much ,this will damage them. Also, don't store your batteries dicharged. This will damage them too. Charge them to about 70% for storage.

hamster huey

In series yes. But you can run two 22.2 paralell for longer runtimes too. Bottom line is 22.2v total max.

DemonRC

Series is connecting the main + wire from the ESC to the + on one battery. The - wire from the ESC goes to the - on the other battery. Then you wire the unconnected + on one battery to the unconnected - on the other battery. This sums the voltage between the two batteries.

Parallel is when all the + wires from each battery connect to the + on the ESC and the same with the negatives. Battery capacity is summed by doing so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts