• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine upgrades for newbies???

Slimneill

Is there any clear threads or explanations of the different modifications you can due to a coy motor?

I see all the upgrades motors, OBR, Zenobia, long block, head kits etc.

Is there a manual or place where I can learn what each one is?

I have a 4 bolt 32cc so it's a good place to start, is it cheaper to upgrade it yourself instead of buying a high performance motor elsewhere?

crankestein

Banned
Its very difficult to find others porting work online.

The first thing you need to learn is how the engine works and the principles of pipe chambers, compression, piston port vs reed.

Here are a few hints; two stroke dirt bikes, chainsaws, pocket bikes, gopeds...

I did my homework and most of the stuff you ask I found it online, now do your part, you will learn as you search, instead of waiting to be served. Take it as a life lesson my friend.

Slimneill

Hi Crank,

No need for the passive aggressive response. I was merely trying to save time and get a jump start on my research. I’ve already started my own homework on the matter.

Thanks for discouraging future posts.

crankestein

Banned
The I want to shave 10 pounds in one week will not work.

Instead of living in denial, accept the feedback, go do some wrenching instead of wasting time in argumentative replies.

The discourage is part of the learning process, not everyone was born to be an astronaut or a building custodian.

"FOR NEWBIES" very smart indeed... not newbie at all.

Last edited:

designed2survive

@Slimneill

Welcome to the forum!

As a beginner, I would say experiment with bolt on parts and see if you need more, then you can think of what direction you want to go. There is a lot you can do.

Recommendation:

- a kill switch is a must, no kidding!
- tune exhaust pipe (it will wake up your engine)
- 8k clutch
- hip air filter
- good servos and radio

Most will be extremely happy with the above power wise.

Even if you were to go straight and get a high performance engine, they will still need the above to breath and perform at their top.

Should you decide to do an engine swap:

- reliability: stock zenoah g320rc

- High performance: I have the Full mod OBR G340 Reed engine. I can't compare it to other high performance engines since I don't own any of the others. I can only tell you that the stock g320rc is already more than enough and the Full mod OBR g340rc reed gives you way more than the stock g320.

There is so much than can be done. Narrowing down would allow for more info.

G-Man

@Slimneill I installed a stock Zenoah g320. It has been a beast, so reliable and powerful with a stock hpi air filter and dominator exhaust, 990 carb. Seem almost double power now over the stock HY engine. The stock engine is workable but why I asked myself, the time I spend trying to hop the stock I can spend $250 on ddm deal of the day for the Zenoah. Then eventually I can build the g320 how I want, reed valve etc..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts