• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Enclosed Housing for Center Dif

noyb98098

Anyone working on this? It seems that it's a vunerable area for stones and sand to damage the pinion and crown. Or am I being overly cautions? :rolleyes:

jaysyourhandyman

ya i had the same problem..sand and rocks were getting jamed in the gears eating my gears..but then i added a screw on the left side and sealed it with brake quiet it stays stretchy and will fill and close that funny tab:confused: they have covering that gap on the upper right now i have hade this set of gears for gallons,here is a picthe orange is the sealer

101_2055 mail.jpg

/monthly_2008_11/583c60549d877_101_2055mail.jpg.1bddbc8bca295b0cc9e6e7657cc84b0d.jpg

cable97526

jaysyourhandyman said:
ya i had the same problem..sand and rocks were getting jamed in the gears
eating my gears..but then i added a screw on the left side and sealed it with brake quiet

it stays stretchy and will fill and close that funny tab:confused: they have covering that gap on the upper right

now i have hade this set of gears for gallons,

here is a pic

the orange is the sealer
I agree with your very simple and very inexepensive fix and have even applied it to mine with a little different way. What he is talking about though is the center output gears (We don't have a center diff I wish though:cool:) There is absolutely no protection to the pinion and crown gear there. I have run mine now at the oregon coast in winchester and found that the center gearset has a nice shine to them after about three tanks:rolleyes: I would agree that something needs to be made or adapted for this truck.

Sprint 77

Contributor
cable97526 said:
I agree with your very simple and very inexepensive fix and have even applied it to mine with a little different way. What he is talking about though is the center output gears (We don't have a center diff I wish though:cool:) There is absolutely no protection to the pinion and crown gear there. I have run mine now at the oregon coast in winchester and found that the center gearset has a nice shine to them after about three tanks:rolleyes: I would agree that something needs to be made or adapted for this truck.
Give that project a try and keep us posted. Sounds like a good one to do. I got my fab lplate full at the moment

cable97526

Hey now my Fab plate is more than full because I cant even look at it lately without a customer calling me for something. I wish I still had my turntable mill, the stupid things I coule create then. :D

noyb98098

If had any of the talent that Sprint77 has I would attempt to fab something for this but I'm just an o'l RC nut who loves to build'em, run'em and fix'em. :eek: Never dulged into making parts, although it does look like fun!

jaysyourhandyman

cable97526 said:
:eek: oops lol:rolleyes:

BOOTS

jaysyourhandyman said:
ya i had the same problem..sand and rocks were getting jamed in the gears
eating my gears..but then i added a screw on the left side and sealed it with brake quiet

it stays stretchy and will fill and close that funny tab:confused: they have covering that gap on the upper right

now i have hade this set of gears for gallons,

here is a pic

the orange is the sealer
hes talking about the center crown gear,

i would do the oposite to what you have done on the gear cover, take the cover off and gear melting issue goes away(less frequent anyway).i think a mesh cover would be the perfect solution.

kryptonite

BOOTS said:
hes talking about the center crown gear,
i would do the oposite to what you have done on the gear cover, take the cover off and gear melting issue goes away(less frequent anyway).i think a mesh cover would be the perfect solution.
i know were getting off topic, but i don't think the gear cover has anything to do with the gears melting. they melt(in my opinion) becouse the mesh is so tight, mainly c-d gears

EDIT!!: I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND. I DEFINATLY THINK THE GEARS ARE MELTING becouse of the gear cover..

Last edited by a moderator:

BOOTS

As far as i know they melt becuse the heat can't escape, MCD had the same issue a while ago and now don't run a cover at all, but the body covers the gears so its not an issue like the rampage. if you look at some of the RC gurus and guys who race rampages you'll notice they drill holes or vent the cover. i think a vented cover for the center crown gear would work great.

IMO

Clubin

Banned
BOOTS said:
As far as i know they melt becuse the heat can't escape, MCD had the same issue a while ago and now don't run a cover at all, but the body covers the gears so its not an issue like the rampage. if you look at some of the RC gurus and guys who race rampages you'll notice they drill holes or vent the cover. i think a vented cover for the center crown gear would work great.
IMO
MCD has never had a cover for their A/B/C/D gears, the torque is the highest at C to D that is why those gears don't last, they realy need to be steel. Goes for the MCD and the Redcat. C and D gears don't last a tank if you are going to GiVer.

BOOTS

Clubin said:
MCD has never had a cover for their A/B/C/D gears, the torque is the highest at C to D that is why those gears don't last, they realy need to be steel. Goes for the MCD and the Redcat. C and D gears don't last a tank if you are going to GiVer.
not sure about never having one, but like you said steel gears would be good but all four like MCD have. since putting the ramtech 25's a,b - gear melting isn't really an issue any more. i have tried the MCD c-d but they don't fit as the space between them is different.

basher

i have an mcd RR and have never run it with any gear covers. never have i had an isseu with them being exposed. I also run my rampage TT with open gears c and d are steel. had good luck so far.

jigawatt

I'm confident that it is heat... (I know, just realized this post is old!). I was running my rig in 2 ft tall grass, I can confidently say that heat melted my ABCD gears. They have all been replaced with MCD gears... and to go one step farther, I will indeed "vent" my gear cover where it needs air the most.

DemonRC

IMADMAN said:
It would be pretty interesting if someone came out with a center diff cover like the 1/10 HPI MT.
Ya that was a decent setup. I remember that cover well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts